Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jul 1, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #526 of 3,354
I have to say I agree. Looks mean something to me as well and the Frankenember looks badass in a way but is not pleasing to my eyes. I'd not want it on my desk. This is no slam to those that like the look though. It's just my opinion.

@richard51

Honestly to me the 6SN7 is not an upgrade over a couple of my bugle boys and vintage telefunken tubes. 6sn7 is more open, solid bass, pretty much great throughout the FR but I don't get the 3d effect and gain that I love from my other vintage 12ax, at and bh tubes.

My latest 6sn7 (1946 RCA) is one of the best tubes I have heard but I can't say it's better than a couple of my 12xx6 tubes. It's a close one though and depends on what kind of music I'm listening to at any given time and what mood I'm in.

Enjoy your Frankenember. I'd love to hear one sometime.

Which noval valves do you consider to be on par with your 1940's RCA 6SN7GT ?

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #527 of 3,354
To me the newest 6sn7 I recently aquired sounds really good and is my current fav tube. That said the differences between the 6sn7 and 12xx7 tubes I own aren't that great at all. In fact I would say that they are quite alike though the 12xx tubes that I prefer have more gain and a more lush and 3d like sound (Telefunken) and about the same as far as the sound of the FR when comparing to the bugle boys I have. What the 6sn7 does better than all of my 12xx7 tubes is the openness of the sound.

Tubes I would rate on par would be these:
1959 Telefunken 12AT7
1960 Telefunken 12AT7 Tektronix
1961 AMPEREX BUGLE BOY 12AX7
1964 Amperex Holland treble clef logo Bugle Boy 12ax7
Polytronics Lab 12ax7 (Amperex Holland)

I should add that my 'fav' tube changes on a week to week basis. Depends on what I want at the time. The 6sn7 is a worthy tube to run and I like it. I have three of them. It's just the differences are not really that great. The 12xx7 tubes (some more than others) sound open too, but the 6sn7 does seems to be more spacious sounding. That is really the only plus to running the 6sn7 IMO.

The Bugle boys I own might not be for everyone but damn they are musical. deep tight bass, sweet mids and sparkly highs. I have a few Telefunkens and they seem to me to be more on the lush side and 3d. YMMV

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #528 of 3,354

I have to say I agree. Looks mean something to me as well and the Frankenember looks badass in a way but is not pleasing to my eyes. I'd not want it on my desk. This is no slam to those that like the look though. It's just my opinion.

@richard51

Honestly to me the 6SN7 is not an upgrade over a couple of my bugle boys and vintage telefunken tubes. 6sn7 is more open, solid bass, pretty much great throughout the FR but I don't get the 3d effect and gain that I love from my other vintage 12ax, at and bh tubes.

My latest 6sn7 (1946 RCA) is one of the best tubes I have heard but I can't say it's better than a couple of my 12xx7 tubes. It's a close one though and depends on what kind of music I'm listening to at any given time and what mood I'm in.

Enjoy your Frankenember. I'd love to hear one sometime.

We agree that 6sn7 is better may be for one a sidegrade for me an upgrade .....our appreciation vary but our impression are convergent...you had excellent gear, hence not two ears hears the same....( i dream to try the pagoda dac)
gs1000.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #529 of 3,354
The 6SN7 is a definite upgrade for me. The additional width and space between instruments makes up for what is possibly the one failing of the HD 650, namely, soundstage.

popcorn.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #530 of 3,354
  The 6SN7 is a definite upgrade for me. The additional width and space between instruments makes up for what is possibly the one failing of the HD 650, namely, soundstage.

popcorn.gif

4 ears better than two oups!
atsmile.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #531 of 3,354
i think that the pagoda of Amish is probably better than my excellent bushmaster and that is why Amish is minimizing the upgrade of this tube..... I am very interested by this pagoda... but no way to purchase one before 2 years
deadhorse.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #532 of 3,354
Finally got my adapter for 6SN7 tubes and drill bit to enlarge the hole on the top plate and got 2 tubes to test with.

Sylvania 6SN7 WGTA Mil, Sylvania 6SN7GT 3 hole

Started with 6SN7GT 3 hole and as most here have said it does make the sound stage wider, but the added width seems to come at the expense of dynamics and bass extension in comparison to my Telefunken, Amperex and EH tubes.  I'll let it burn in for a day or two to see if there are any changes.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #533 of 3,354
  Finally got my adapter for 6SN7 tubes and drill bit to enlarge the hole on the top plate and got 2 tubes to test with.

Sylvania 6SN7 WGTA Mil, Sylvania 6SN7GT 3 hole

Started with 6SN7GT 3 hole and as most here have said it does make the sound stage wider, but the added width seems to come at the expense of dynamics and bass extension in comparison to my Telefunken, Amperex and EH tubes.  I'll let it burn in for a day or two to see if there are any changes.

burn in may be important here..... and you must know that from my experience no two 6sn7 tubes sound the same  for bass extension etc
biggrin.gif
for me the soundstage was better , like you experienced yourself but the dynamic bass extension and higher frequencies was better also, my tube was a 6sn7 Stromberg carlson....
smile.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #534 of 3,354

burn in may be important here..... and you must know that from my experience no two 6sn7 tubes sound the same  for bass extension etc
biggrin.gif
for me the soundstage was better , like you experienced yourself but the dynamic bass extension and higher frequencies was better also, my tube was a 6sn7 Stromberg carlson....
smile.gif

I haven't heard too much change with most of my tubes so don't really expect miracles here, just being realistic.  Still think the 12AU7 or 12AT7 Telefunken sound better, to each his own.

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #535 of 3,354
the greateest change i have heard is with the double 7193 tubes...that transform my system for the better.....you must read about this tube on the internet...
popcorn.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #536 of 3,354
  I haven't heard too much change with most of my tubes so don't really expect miracles here, just being realistic.  Still think the 12AU7 or 12AT7 Telefunken sound better, to each his own.

Try to find a valve with the VT-231 designation. Trust me.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #537 of 3,354
Hi guys, I just got my Ember 2.0 in the mail (also a 6SN7 tube and 7193's I didn't try yet).

That would be excellent if anybody would fill me in: Is it safe to change the gain settings while it's running or do I need to turn it off when doing so? From what I can tell, that would be the black removable plastic thing towards the front on both sides that says low / med / high, right?

Also if anybody knows which one the output attenuator is, that would be cool too. 

And this is my first tube amp, so does a tube or the amp need to warm up awhile? Thanks! reviews coming!

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #538 of 3,354
  Hi guys, I just got my Ember 2.0 in the mail (also a 6SN7 tube and 7193's I didn't try yet).

That would be excellent if anybody would fill me in: Is it safe to change the gain settings while it's running or do I need to turn it off when doing so? From what I can tell, that would be the black removable plastic thing towards the front on both sides that says low / med / high, right?

Also if anybody knows which one the output attenuator is, that would be cool too. 

And this is my first tube amp, so does a tube or the amp need to warm up awhile? Thanks! reviews coming!

Congratulations! and yes i change myself the gain settings without  turned it off....for the output attenuator its simple look in the manual its very clearly indicated.....
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #539 of 3,354

Quote:

Congratulations! and yes i change myself the gain settings without  turned it off....for the output attenuator its simple look in the manual its very clearly indicated.....
wink.gif

As long as I know, the low/med/high setting should be the different level of output impedance, which not only affects the output volume but also affects the sound signature dramatically. The output attenuator, which is locate at the back of your Ember, is something similar to the gain setting that only gonna affects your volume. Maybe I am wrong, but it works like this.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #540 of 3,354
The two vertical jumpers at the rear (next to the line-in) are your gain settings.

The two horizontal jumpers (one on either side) are your output resistance settings.

The two vertical jumpers in the centre (front-left & front-right of the valve) are your input capacitors bypass settings.

The single vertical jumper in the centre (directly in front of valve) is your LED on/off switch.

The red LED at the front of the amp will illuminate when the amp is switched on & stay lit until the valve is ready to go.

I would not change the gain settings with the amp turned on.

I do change the output resistance settings with the amp turned on & music playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back