Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jul 19, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #2,476 of 3,354
  Downsizing my tube collection so I'm letting go of these tubes. All have been tested to work fine and sound great in the Ember.

- RCA 12AU7A Cleartops (2 of them, second is free)
- Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy
- Amperex 6DJ8, GE branded
- GE 6DJ8 Smoked Glass (quite microphonic)
- Russian 6N6P Gold Grid
- Electro Harmonix 6N30P
- RCA 6SN7GTB (6SN7 adapter required)

All these for only $85 shipped. (paid over $180 for them)

Send me a PM if interested! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Bugle Boy is probably my favourite 6DJ8. 
I also have the 6N6P, GE Smoked Glass, and Cleartops.
They are all excellent tubes for Ember and would give anyone first purchasing tubes for Ember a good variety of sound to demonstrate Ember's versatility.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,477 of 3,354
  Bugle Boy is probably my favourite 6DJ8. 
I also have the 6N6P, GE Smoked Glass, and Cleartops.
They are all excellent tubes for Ember and would give anyone first purchasing tubes for Ember a good variety of sound to demonstrate Ember's versatility.

I've always like the 12AU7/12AT7 Telefunken and 6N23P Voskhod

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #2,479 of 3,354
  Not heard the Telefunkens but I like that Voskhod too. I only have one and it's the single wire variety.
The dual wire variety is meant to be even better.

Only problem with the Telefunkens is that they have really gone up in price, back in 2014 I was paying about $20 to $25 per tube, now they are going for $40+ and even higher for the gold pin ones I've seen lately.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #2,480 of 3,354
  Only problem with the Telefunkens is that they have really gone up in price, back in 2014 I was paying about $20 to $25 per tube, now they are going for $40+ and even higher for the gold pin ones I've seen lately.

Sadly,I think that goes for a lot of tubes. Some of the 6SN7's are now so much more expensive than 2-3 years ago.
Like you, I suspect, I'm glad I bought most of my tubes way back-but I've got a big problem with those 5998 and 7236's for Elise.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #2,481 of 3,354
  Sadly,I think that goes for a lot of tubes. Some of the 6SN7's are now so much more expensive than 2-3 years ago.
Like you, I suspect, I'm glad I bought most of my tubes way back-but I've got a big problem with those 5998 and 7236's for Elise.

Glad I got my TS5998 way back also
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,482 of 3,354
It's interesting how different tubes can work with different music. I thought I liked the 6sn7 more than the cleartop 12au7 all around but the cleartop gave me a more revealing soundstage on this one song where the 6sn7 was unexpectedly more narrow and bloaty.

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #2,483 of 3,354
I am looking for a decent 6sn7 tube that doesn't hurt my wallet... I recently just brought HE-400i and Ember II. Going to buy a modi 2 uber once I save up enough money. I want a good 6sn7 tube for under $50. 

I was thinking either I get:

SYLVANIA 6SN7GTA with the adapter

or 

Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8

I been doing a lot of research, most say the 6sn7 with an adapter sound way better than anything else.

What is your recommended list of tubes for the Ember 2 with Hifiman he-400i? If you also think the 6sn7 is better can you give me a list from your favorite to least? You know any good seller on ebay that sells good tube?

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #2,484 of 3,354
  I am looking for a decent 6sn7 tube that doesn't hurt my wallet... I recently just brought HE-400i and Ember II. Going to buy a modi 2 uber once I save up enough money. I want a good 6sn7 tube for under $50. 

or 

Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8

I been doing a lot of research, most say the 6sn7 with an adapter sound way better than anything else.

What is your recommended list of tubes for the Ember 2 with Hifiman he-400i? If you also think the 6sn7 is better can you give me a list from your favorite to least? You know any good seller on ebay that sells good tube?

I will be the first to chime in, but time is limited so I hope somebody can give you more help.

Firstly I'm not sure I'd recommend using IEMs on the Ember, as they pair well with larger headphones, and many 3rd party adapter setups can cause some hum sound, which is especially noticeable on IEMs being they are lower impedance.

If you're going for a Sylvania 6SN7 then get the orange / brown base ones if you like a lush / tubey / euphonic sound, or if you prefer more of a clean sound with well defined bass then go for a GE 6SN7 GTA tube. What sonic preferences do you have, in terms of what kind of a tone or soundstage or bass / mids / treble do you like?

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #2,485 of 3,354

or 

Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8

I have HE400 and it pairs very well with Bugle Boy. Lots of detail.

If you want a warmer sound, with larger sound-stage but a bit less precise imaging than Bugle Boy there are several good 6SN7's including the GE that DL has recommended, which is also one of my favourites. Tung-Sol do a 6SN7GTB, which is very good value and a Mouse-Ears which is also very good.

Here's a useful link Hi-Fiers regularly refer to:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #2,486 of 3,354

or 

Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8

what type of sound are you trying to get?  I thinking neutral/warm based on the tubes you have listed.  I've tried a sylvania 6SN7GTB, TS 6SN7GT, and Telefunken 6SN7GTA, a little more than the $50 for the second 2.  They all were pretty good but I've usually went with 12AU7 tubes since my GF likes the glow from the LED light under the tube
rolleyes.gif

Telefunken, RCA clear top and Voskhod

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,487 of 3,354
I do prefer a larger sound-stage, precise imaging and natural type of sound. I tried the 6n6p and I find it too slow and not define although it is musical. I was thinking if I should just spend money on a Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 or a 6sn7. If 6sn7 is clearly an upgrade over the 6dj8 then I don't mind spending a few more bucks. 

Howie, how much do you want for the Amperex Bugle Boy 6dj8?

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,488 of 3,354
  I do prefer a larger sound-stage, precise imaging and natural type of sound. I tried the 6n6p and I find it too slow and not define although it is musical. I was thinking if I should just spend money on a Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 or a 6sn7. If 6sn7 is clearly an upgrade over the 6dj8 then I don't mind spending a few more bucks. 

Hi nix177

It's lalala6 who is selling  the Bugle Boy not me. I'm keeping hold of mine.

It's not really a question of 6SN7's being an upgrade over 6DJ8's. It all depends on what sort of sound you are hoping to achieve. There are 6SN7's that are less warm than some 9 pin tubes too. As to your sound preference the GE 6DJ8 dark/smoked glass is nicely detailed and natural sounding, as is Bugle Boy.

You will have to try various tubes out for yourself. Whilst other rollers and articles about tubes will give you a general consensus, your own ears will be the final arbiter for you.

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #2,489 of 3,354

For sound stage, imaging, dynamics and clarity the Telefunken 12AU7 or 12AX7 are hard to beat but they are not cheap.  I have some 6JD8/6922 Telefunken CCa's which are about as good as it gets for the Lyr2 but they don't seem to sound as good in the Ember, for the most parts I've noticed channel imbalances with some of the 6JD8/6922 that I have for my Lyr2 when I use them in the Ember.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,490 of 3,354
For the past months I really enjoyed tube rolling with the ember. I'ts a fantastic amp and one of my all time favorites. It drives the HD800 as HEK very well when using the right tubes.

Among my favorite tubes are the Fivre 6SN7, RCA 5692 Red base, Tungsram E80CC, Philips E188CC. Of course each has it's strengths and weaknesses based on what music and headphones I am listening to. It took me a long time to figure out there is no one tube to rule them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back