Project Ember Tube Rolling
Aug 25, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #2,506 of 3,354
  I'm new to tube rolling and have a Project Starlight (not Project Ember). But this seems to be the forum to ask this.

I have an RCA Clear-Top 12au7 (which sounds great to my ears), and a Telefunken 12AT7 on the way.

Can someone describe to me some good tubes? I don't have the patience to go through 127 pages, and I think the first post in this thread is quite outdated now.

There's no such thing as a good or bad tube, though some have faults or are unreliable or noisy.

There are tubes you will like and those you won't and only your ears can decide.

The advice Astral Abyss has given is very good and so you don't spend a lot of money searching for your ideal tube I would encourage you to at least read some of the pages in the Forum.
It's easy to skip through the pages which are more general chat and concentrate on the tubes. I used to make brief notes about each tube I read about as I went along, which I found most helpful.
Tube sonic characteristics are similar in Ember to Starlight.
Starlight can handle up to 1A heater current  so it does play 6N6P tubes, which are warm and rich sounding, if that's what you are after.

If you posted the cans you use and the sort of sound you are seeking more help may be offered or you could email Jeremy who, I have found, is always very helpful when it comes to choosing tubes-he also has a good selection to sell at reasonable prices too.

Good luck.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #2,507 of 3,354

There's no such thing as a good or bad tube, though some have faults or are unreliable or noisy.

There are tubes you will like and those you won't and only your ears can decide.

The advice Astral Abyss has given is very good and so you don't spend a lot of money searching for your ideal tube I would encourage you to at least read some of the pages in the Forum.
It's easy to skip through the pages which are more general chat and concentrate on the tubes. I used to make brief notes about each tube I read about as I went along, which I found most helpful.
Tube sonic characteristics are similar in Ember to Starlight.
Starlight can handle up to 1A heater current  so it does play 6N6P tubes, which are warm and rich sounding, if that's what you are after.

If you posted the cans you use and the sort of sound you are seeking more help may be offered or you could email Jeremy who, I have found, is always very helpful when it comes to choosing tubes-he also has a good selection to sell at reasonable prices too.

Good luck.

What's his email?

Im looking for detailed with wide soundstage but smooth mids slightly on the warm side

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,509 of 3,354
Yeah you can get good advice and recommends and even buy tubes and adapters from Jeremy. His prices are competitive and his knowledge of the Starlight makes him a good resource. Two of my favorite tubes are a 6SN7 + adapter and a Russian 6n6p both sourced from him.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,510 of 3,354
  Yeah you can get good advice and recommends and even buy tubes and adapters from Jeremy. His prices are competitive and his knowledge of the Starlight makes him a good resource. Two of my favorite tubes are a 6SN7 + adapter and a Russian 6n6p both sourced from him.

The 6N6P is a lovely warm tube. One of my favourites too.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,511 of 3,354
  I'm new to tube rolling and have a Project Starlight (not Project Ember). But this seems to be the forum to ask this.

I have an RCA Clear-Top 12au7 (which sounds great to my ears), and a Telefunken 12AT7 on the way.

Can someone describe to me some good tubes? I don't have the patience to go through 127 pages, and I think the first post in this thread is quite outdated now.

I also agree with Abyss. 6SN7 is a great place to start since they are not as costly and give you the most benefit. I actually have a three Sylvania 6SN7GTA Chrome Dome Black Plate, 1 12SN7GT 3 Holes (12.6V version of the legend Bad Boy) and 1 6SN7GT Chome Dome 3 holes T Black Plate; all tested NOS level that I am selling. If you are interested send me a PM.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #2,513 of 3,354
Congrats @nix177 looks like you're one of the super rare folk who've been lucky enough to try the splendid pairing of the dual Zenith 6J5 on the Ember. It's absolutely no slouch compared to the Visseaux 6J5 - they're both on level playing field with a slightly different flavor.

Are you using the Modi 1 as a DAC?
confused_face_2.gif
 And I guess you were lucky enough to receive my Zenith and the adapter both on the same day? And how would you describe the sound you're getting from them?

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #2,516 of 3,354
  Congrats @nix177 looks like you're one of the super rare folk who've been lucky enough to try the splendid pairing of the dual Zenith 6J5 on the Ember. It's absolutely no slouch compared to the Visseaux 6J5 - they're both on level playing field with a slightly different flavor.

Are you using the Modi 1 as a DAC?
confused_face_2.gif
 And I guess you were lucky enough to receive my Zenith and the adapter both on the same day? And how would you describe the sound you're getting from them?

Lucky me. I actually got the adapter and your tubes the same day. Super excited. Reconfigure the adapter and plug in the tubes and been listening to it the whole night. 

I have not listen to the Visseaux 6J5 yet, but I know 6J5 is my flavor. Sound somewhat like the 1952 Bad Boy and better. Wonderful dynamic, vocals are sweet and pleasing, sound stage is impressive. The HD650 still need to burn in since only 2 days old. It will only get better.

I am using Modi 2 Uber, that will be my next upgrade.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #2,517 of 3,354
I'm intrigued by this dual 6J5 setup, I don't yet have my ember but looking at various tube options.

I'm slightly confused by the adapter, looking back I see @DecentLevi recommends this one however I've also seen this one, from the same seller, mentioned in this thread as well.

I'm new to tubes so this is probably a dumb question, why would you use the adapter with 8 pins vs the 9 pin one in the second link?

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,518 of 3,354
It raises the tubes up higher so it clears the caps and you can then turn the adapter 90 degrees.  That's how I have mine.  Personal preference.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,520 of 3,354
  I'm intrigued by this dual 6J5 setup, I don't yet have my ember but looking at various tube options.

I'm slightly confused by the adapter, looking back I see @DecentLevi recommends this one however I've also seen this one, from the same seller, mentioned in this thread as well.

I'm new to tubes so this is probably a dumb question, why would you use the adapter with 8 pins vs the 9 pin one in the second link?

Hi raab

The two adapters function the same because the 6CG7/6FQ7 tube is also 9 pins, but with characteristics more akin to 6SN7 tubes. Some think of it as a mini sized 6SN7, but not mini sounding.

If you are happy to have the two 6J5 tubes lie perpendicular to the front edge of Ember then you can carefully rotate the adapter loosening the screw. Be careful not to break any wire connections.
If you want the tubes to lie parallel to the front edge you can use a 9 pin ECC88 socket saver to raise the height of the adapter to avoid the big front capacitors getting in the way using either of the adapters you link to in your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back