Project Ember Tube Rolling
Mar 8, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #2,206 of 3,354

They're cheaper than the Vs too
biggrin.gif

How about a link to some cheaper ?? I have not been able to find any cheaper

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #2,207 of 3,354
  How about a link to some cheaper ?? I have not been able to find any cheaper

I got it from the italian seller. He used to sell a a couple of matched pair but looks like both are sold now. He got 4 matched pairs though, might need someone willing to share the cost/pair with you.

85 bucks shipped per pair
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-6C5G-6C5GT-FIVRE-NOS-MATCHED-Tube-Rohre-Valvula-Lampe-TSF-Valvola-/391398544131?hash=item5b212bd303:g:l00AAOSwLN5WiPeY

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #2,208 of 3,354
Mar 8, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #2,209 of 3,354
I have both the Visseaux and the Fivres. The Fivres win in bass and sub-bass extension but the Visseaux wins in the other areas, it just sounds more correct while the Fivres sound a bit distorted in comparison. My advice is to save your money if you already have the Visseaux.

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,210 of 3,354
  I have both the Visseaux and the Fivres. The Fivres win in bass and sub-bass extension but the Visseaux wins in the other areas, it just sounds more correct while the Fivres sound a bit distorted. My advice is to save your money if you already have the Visseaux.

d3rrlck is playing the part of the 'good cop' and sneaky415 is the 'bad' cop!

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,211 of 3,354

d3rrlck is playing the part of the 'good cop' and sneaky415 is the 'bad' cop!

Im actually trying to be the good cop and save your wallets 
biggrin.gif
. But don't get me wrong here, the Fivre is a very enjoyable tube and I can listen to it for hours .It's just that it is competing with "creme de la creme" of tubes.

I was just listening to the Visseaux's and admiring how accurate it reproduces female voices. Listen to this:

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,212 of 3,354
biggrin.gif
. But don't get me wrong here, the Fivre is a very enjoyable tube and I can listen to it for hours .It's just that it is competing with "creme de la creme" of tubes.

I was just listening to the Visseaux's and admiring how accurate it reproduces female voices. Listen to this:

I was hoping to add a little more bass with the Fivre's, but NOT wanting to add a lot of distortion
blink.gif

I have pretty modest hp, HifiMan HE 400S, and the bass is a bit weak. Having said that, they are also a bit rolled off in the treble. I have found the 'V''s to help on both ends of sound reproduction. I guess I'll see what the 'new shiny object'  Firve  6C5G do.............. other than look VERY cool!

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,213 of 3,354
They don't have a lot of distortion, just a bit when compared to the Visseaux. Everything is relative. The Fivres will help you with the bass for sure but I don't think they will do much for the treble. Anyhow its a fine tube so I don't think you will be dissapointed.

In that video I linked to the Visseaux reproduces that voice so well but the Fivres has got such powerful and deep sub-bass of that instrument, which to choose, which to choose? Hard decision....

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2,214 of 3,354
  They don't have a lot of distortion, just a bit when compared to the Visseaux. Everything is relative. The Fivres will help you with the bass for sure but I don't think they will do much for the treble. Anyhow its a fine tube so I don't think you will be dissapointed.

In that video I linked to the Visseaux reproduces that voice so well but the Fivres has got such powerful and deep sub-bass of that instrument, which to choose, which to choose? Hard decision....

I actually heard that little bit of distortion when I set my mojo lineout to 2v using the 400i. I'll see what it can do when mojo is set to 3V, and report back here. It seems weird that I'm not hearing that with the TH-X00.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,215 of 3,354
I have pretty modest hp, HifiMan HE 400S, and the bass is a bit weak. Having said that, they are also a bit rolled off in the treble. I have found the 'V''s to help on both ends of sound reproduction. I guess I'll see what the 'new shiny object'  Firve  6C5G do.............. other than look VERY cool!

Have you tried changing the pads to focuspad? I have 400S with focuspad and grill modded, wife likes how it sounds so I gave it to her, in exchange she gave me reason to buy the 400i during the hifiman sale
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,216 of 3,354
biggrin.gif

Nice, wasn't using my Ember, from computer headphone out with SR-60i drivers in walnut wood cups

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #2,217 of 3,354

Have you tried changing the pads to focuspad? I have 400S with focuspad and grill modded, wife likes how it sounds so I gave it to her, in exchange she gave me reason to buy the 400i during the hifiman sale
biggrin.gif

Yes, on the 400S I did the grill mod, tried FocusPads 'A' and then settled on Brainwavz angled pads. I think they sound far better than OEM configuration but still a bit rolled off in the highs and could use a little more bass.

If you get a moment...........(and if your bride allows it)
blink.gif
..............could you give the HE400S a short listen using the Fivre 6C5G and see if you are hearing the same distortion you may be hearing in the 400i?

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #2,218 of 3,354
Ok who has heard the Shuguang CV181 In the Ember,  Impressions please 
biggrin.gif

The search shows u a few comments but nothing commital, I like the idea of a single tube and I am looking for a warmish sound sig. I may have to get one and try it out. If it is equivilant of some of the better 6sn7 I may just be done and selling off some others

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,219 of 3,354
biggrin.gif

The search shows u a few comments but nothing commital, I like the idea of a single tube and I am looking for a warmish sound sig. I may have to get one and try it out. If it is equivilant of some of the better 6sn7 I may just be done and selling off some others

There are lots of 6SN7's & 6F8G (single tube with an adapter) that most find better than those current production tubes. (I have heard the CV 181 but do not own them)

I've tried Sylvania, RCA, GE, Raytheon, and Ken Rad (and some other) 6SN7's as well as  Tung Sol & National Union 6F8G's to see if they are as good or better than the Visseaux.

One mans opinion, some are close (6F8G) but I am still drawn to the sound of the Visseaux 6J5G. If I had never heard the 'V's I would be fine with many other tubes..................but I HAVE!

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,220 of 3,354
biggrin.gif

This from an early thread on a Woo amp....
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/4/47/100x100px-LS-47ef8059_Headphone_Girl_by_ziksan.jpeg[/img]
  1. Seamaster
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v2411770217.png
  4. offline
  1. 1,962 Posts. Joined 10/2004
  2. Location: Seattle Area

Please don't wast your money on Treasure CV181. looking for round plate 6F8G is the way to go. But now days 6F8G are not cheap anymore, because more and more people realize they sound great, and price has been jumping up lately

My wallet hates me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back