Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,086 of 3,354
  1. Sylvania 12SN7GT (the 12V equivalent of 6SN7GT)

That's interesting, for some reason I had previously thought the 12SN7 would not be compatible in the Ember, as it's twice the voltage of the 6SN7. But after checking again it looks like the Ember 2 has an automatic heat selector to roll 6 and 12v tubes. The 12SN7 is supposed to be identical to 6SN7 except for the double current. I take it this didn't sound the best though, seeing that you're selling it.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #2,087 of 3,354
That's interesting, for some reason I had previously thought the 12SN7 would not be compatible in the Ember, as it's twice the voltage of the 6SN7. But after checking again it looks like the Ember 2 has an automatic heat selector to roll 6 and 12v tubes. The 12SN7 is supposed to be identical to 6SN7 except for the double current. I take it this didn't sound the best though, seeing that you're selling it.

Only the Solstice is rated for 12SN7.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2,088 of 3,354

Well, I asked for a 6SN7 but Jeremy sent me this 12SN7, so I suppose it is supported by the Ember. Sounded fine, but yeah not the best tube I've heard.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,089 of 3,354
Adding one more tube (GE Smoked Glass 6DJ8) to the bundle at no extra cost. So the set now consists of:

1. RCA 12AU7A Cleartop
  2. Russian 6N6P Gold Grid (NOS NIB)
  3. Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin (NIB)
  4. RCA 6SN7GTB
  5. Sylvania 12SN7GT (the 12V equivalent of 6SN7GT)
  6. GE Smoked Glass 6DJ8

All for $85 + shipping.

Quote:
  Hey all,

I am clearing most of my tubes to fund for the Visseaux's. All of them work great in the Ember, and come with their original boxes except for the Cleartop.

They are:
  1. RCA 12AU7A Cleartop
  2. Russian 6N6P Gold Grid (NOS NIB)
  3. Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin (NIB)
  4. RCA 6SN7GTB
  5. Sylvania 12SN7GT (the 12V equivalent of 6SN7GT)
  6. Optional: 6SN7 to 6DJ8 adapter (from Garage1217) for $20

I paid over $150 for them shipped. Selling them as a set for only $85 + shipping. Please send me a PM if interested, thanks!

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,090 of 3,354
Well, I put the Vissaeux 6J5G up against some fairly nice 6SN7's tonight. All were VT-231 versions: KenRad (smoked glass), Raytheon ladder plates, and Sylvanias (NOT the Bad Boys) . They all sounded very nice and I could easily live with any of them BUT...............there is just something very special and a bit more happening with the 'V's!

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,091 of 3,354
  Well, I put the Vissaeux 6J5G up against some fairly nice 6SN7's tonight. All were VT-231 versions: KenRad (smoked glass), Raytheon ladder plates, and Sylvanias (NOT the Bad Boys) . They all sounded very nice and I could easily live with any of them BUT...............there is just something very special and a bit more happening with the 'V's!

That is definitive...
wink_face.gif

Any more.?  I got a pair of the Visseauxs . When I first listened I was disappointed. Turned the rig off for a couple of days. I came back and was nicely impressed. It made me wonder about when the Ember went about its automatic setup routine. Does it do it during regularly during operation, or only once at startup? 

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #2,092 of 3,354
Well, I asked for a 6SN7 but Jeremy sent me this 12SN7, so I suppose it is supported by the Ember. Sounded fine, but yeah not the best tube I've heard.

What adapter did you use for the 12SN7? I tried using Jeremy's 6SN7 adapter in my APPJ's 12V socket and it didn't work. Neither did an eBay 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapter. I have a proper 12SN7 to 12AU7 adapter on the way- it looks to me like at least with the eBay adapters they have to be designed for either 6V or 12V operation.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #2,093 of 3,354

What adapter did you use for the 12SN7? I tried using Jeremy's 6SN7 adapter in my APPJ's 12V socket and it didn't work. Neither did an eBay 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapter. I have a proper 12SN7 to 12AU7 adapter on the way- it looks to me like at least with the eBay adapters they have to be designed for either 6V or 12V operation.

I use Jeremy's 6SN7 adapter, works fine in my Ember.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #2,094 of 3,354
  I use Jeremy's 6SN7 adapter, works fine in my Ember.

Interesting... maybe the Garage1217 adapter only works with a G1217 amp for 12SN7s, or something else is preventing my APPJ from using 12SN7s. I can't imagine what since electrically they are within specs. The proof will be when the 12SN7 to 12AU7 adapter arrives. Thanks for letting me know.

All this talk about how good the Visseauxs are makes me a little mad at myself for not jumping on a pair for my Sunrise earlier. What's left on eBay seems to sell for well more than what some of you folks paid for them. I need to get more of my unused tubes sold, but first I need shipping and packing supplies!

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #2,095 of 3,354
  Interesting... maybe the Garage1217 adapter only works with a G1217 amp for 12SN7s, or something else is preventing my APPJ from using 12SN7s. I can't imagine what since electrically they are within specs. The proof will be when the 12SN7 to 12AU7 adapter arrives. Thanks for letting me know.

All this talk about how good the Visseauxs are makes me a little mad at myself for not jumping on a pair for my Sunrise earlier. What's left on eBay seems to sell for well more than what some of you folks paid for them. I need to get more of my unused tubes sold, but first I need shipping and packing supplies!

You're welcome. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it's impossible to find reasonably priced Visseauxs on ebay now. I'm gonna stalk ebay in hopes that a good deal on the Visseauxs pop up!

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #2,096 of 3,354

Since the 12SN7 is 100% identical to the 6SN7 except double the amps, no question a standard 6SN7 adapter would do the job, just as long as the tube is working

You're welcome. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it's impossible to find reasonably priced Visseauxs on ebay now. I'm gonna stalk ebay in hopes that a good deal on the Visseauxs pop up!

Here's a tip I'm passing on that was passed onto me for finding vintage Hi-Fi gear:
Just search for your product on HiFiShark (a hi-fi audio gear search engine that scours multple sources including eBay), then click the link at the bottom of the page to sign up for an email notification after your product is being sold.

Also good old Google / Bing search for your tube, as there are hundreds of tube shops out there

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,097 of 3,354
  You're welcome. 
smily_headphones1.gif

A week ago, I asked if anyone on the forum had any Visseaux's in a semi-humorous post and got lucky!

I'm sure you have seen the E-Bay seller in Italy with pairs and quads. Pairs are pretty steep at over $200 shipped but the quads are a bit less painful at $318 ($159 / pair). These audio and tube info forums are great with folks sharing info on tubes that work well. The down side is more people chasing formally inexpensive tubes and driving up the prices but you can't have one without the other.

There will be another 'must try' tube or shiny object coming down the pike and people will sell off their current favorite. I have been chasing / collecting tubes for a few years and, until reading about them on this forum, have never even heard of the French brand Visseaux!

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,098 of 3,354
I just ordered the fivre 6C5G, and if lucky I will be able to try the mullard ecc31 too. Right now, the NU 6L5G is getting the stage spotlight. Oh man! these tubes are really close sounding to the Visseaux 6J5. I could not even tell the difference during my first few hours of listening. After the excitement wears off, I could now understand why some folks are describing the NU 6L5G as lovely sounding. To my ear, it adds more body to low and midrange, but has tiny bit less soundstage, details, and clarity than the Visseaux 6J5. I've only listened to 6L5G for 6 hours, these are NOS tubes so it might need some burn in, but I would rate the 6L5G as 90% of the visseaux sound.

The fivre 6C5G will be my third dual tube. I'm still hoping that these will not hum, otherwise the ember stays inside the cage. The cage started to grow on me, as I kinda like the industrial look which makes my ember uniquely looking amp 
gs1000.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #2,099 of 3,354
  I just ordered the fivre 6C5G, and if lucky I will be able to try the mullard ecc31 too. Right now, the NU 6L5G is getting the stage spotlight. Oh man! these tubes are really close sounding to the Visseaux 6J5. I could not even tell the difference during my first few hours of listening. After the excitement wears off, I could now understand why some folks are describing the NU 6L5G as lovely sounding. To my ear, it adds more body to low and midrange, but has tiny bit less soundstage, details, and clarity than the Visseaux 6J5. I've only listened to 6L5G for 6 hours, these are NOS tubes so it might need some burn in, but I would rate the 6L5G as 90% of the visseaux sound.

The fivre 6C5G will be my third dual tube. I'm still hoping that these will not hum, otherwise the ember stays inside the cage. The cage started to grow on me, as I kinda like the industrial look which makes my ember uniquely looking amp 
gs1000.gif

yeah, your cage look better than mine, i do think i'll build another , and use some nicer looking mesh, my home depot hardware fabric, while effective, looks a little rough.
that's the m-stage balanced amp under the ember isn't it ?

love the rack too !

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,100 of 3,354
  yeah, your cage look better than mine, i do think i'll build another , and use some nicer looking mesh, my home depot hardware fabric, while effective, looks a little rough.
that's the m-stage balanced amp under the ember isn't it ?

love the rack too !

Yup that's mstage HPA-3B. I used to have the mstage v1.2 (sold it), but always curious about balance setup. The ember on dual tube easily rival the mstage soundstage though
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back