Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 26, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #2,071 of 3,354
  I might be, I paid $83 for the Adapter an the Tubes, my SEller is willing to let me do an "equal value" exchange but I'd rather sell em both to some one here for like $70 or something, but I'm not sure if I want to sell these or try to buy a Ember II first then try the Mazda 76s in that amp 

Ok, I will post my impressions with the Ember next week and we will see. I think that those clipping problems shouldn't be present with the ember, I have tried various tube types including 76 and haven't experienced any such problems.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #2,072 of 3,354
I ordered a 12 x 24-Inch sheet of copper hardware fabric from Amazon.  How all I have to do is decide on a shape.
I am thinking... pyramid, square, cone, cylinder, sphere, triangular prism, thunder dome? 

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #2,073 of 3,354
So I'm going to be selling all of my Tubes and my Starlight Amp, I'm engaged to a forigner and it seems that is much more expensive to get her here to the states than I was initially aware of 

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,074 of 3,354
  So I'm going to be selling all of my Tubes and my Starlight Amp, I'm engaged to a forigner and it seems that is much more expensive to get her here to the states than I was initially aware of

Hey shoot me a message I will buy back all the tubes I sent you for a full refund 
biggrin.gif
,  I just did a makeshift faraday cage and now have a design worked out in my head how to attach the cage to the Caps...................Listening to the Brimars which were the worst of my humming issues DEAD QUIET so now I want to try all the other varients again

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,075 of 3,354
   Hey shoot me a message I will buy back all the tubes I sent you for a full refund 
biggrin.gif
,  I just did a makeshift faraday cage and now have a design worked out in my head how to attach the cage to the Caps...................Listening to the Brimars which were the worst of my humming issues DEAD QUIET so now I want to try all the other varients again

can do man :D I'll have a full post with everything up here shortly 

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2,077 of 3,354
biggrin.gif

i was having a hard time trying to figure out a good way to attach a ground to a cap, but when i got my cage finished and over the amp, it didn't need the additional grounding to the cap. just one lead from the amp to the cage.

NOW AN UPDATE :

@whirlwind sent me a couple of his 6sn7gt tubes, just put the first in, and it, and the amp are silent, no noise except music
so, looks like it was just the particular tube i had
a big shout to WW , thanks !

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2,078 of 3,354
  i was having a hard time trying to figure out a good way to attach a ground to a cap, but when i got my cage finished and over the amp, it didn't need the additional grounding to the cap. just one lead from the amp to the cage.

NOW AN UPDATE :

@whirlwind sent me a couple of his 6sn7gt tubes, just put the first in, and it, and the amp are silent, no noise except music
so, looks like it was just the particular tube i had
a big shout to WW , thanks !

I found taking a piece of solid core copper with a ball of solder on the end and it just laying on top of the cap while other end is to the cage made for the quietest set up, When I get my final draft cage built I will solder the wire to the cage so it will be a simple lift off and on with no further need to attach anything  it is very quiet now 
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #2,080 of 3,354
  I found taking a piece of solid core copper with a ball of solder on the end and it just laying on top of the cap while other end is to the cage made for the quietest set up, When I get my final draft cage built I will solder the wire to the cage so it will be a simple lift off and on with no further need to attach anything  it is very quiet now 
biggrin.gif

with my wire, the chassis end had a spade connector, connected to a plate screw, the cage end, an alligator clip
i'll still use the cage when needed, the 7193 set up was just a tad noisy, faint, but there, with the cade, silencio

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #2,081 of 3,354
Wow, I'd just like to give one more thanks to @d3rrlck you really changed the course of history here. It seems we are all about to be Humphrey 
wink_face.gif

And for anybody going the tin foil wrap or cage routes, I'm sure we all enjoy seeing those interesting, and often humourous looking setups! I for one don't care too much on appearance as long as the sonics benefit! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #2,082 of 3,354
  Wow, I'd just like to give one more thanks to @d3rrlck you really changed the course of history here. It seems we are all about to be Humphrey 
wink_face.gif

And for anybody going the tin foil wrap or cage routes, I'm sure we all enjoy seeing those interesting, and often humourous looking setups! I for one don't care too much on appearance as long as the sonics benefit! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have a hum problem except with two or three tubes with my X2 and HD598.  I've tried aluminium and Faraday with the two or three tubes that hum with these two cans and they don't stop the hum.
However, what I find is that if I earth myself by holding a wire which is connected to an earthing point on a graphic equaliser which isn't even plugged into the wall socket all hum stops.
I think I must be acting as a transmitter so I am now going to go out to buy several rolls of aluminium foil to make a tent to cover myself up with and see if that stops the hum. Failing that I will have to Faraday cage myself in, like I was in a zoo.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #2,083 of 3,354
  I don't have a hum problem except with two or three tubes with my X2 and HD598.  I've tried aluminium and Faraday with the two or three tubes that hum with these two cans and they don't stop the hum.
However, what I find is that if I earth myself by holding a wire which is connected to an earthing point on a graphic equaliser which isn't even plugged into the wall socket all hum stops.
I think I must be acting as a transmitter so I am now going to go out to buy several rolls of aluminium foil to make a tent to cover myself up with and see if that stops the hum. Failing that I will have to Faraday cage myself in, like I was in a zoo.

mylar ?

51gcaU-HYFL.jpg

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #2,084 of 3,354
Hey all,

I am clearing most of my tubes to fund for the Visseaux's. All of them work great in the Ember, and come with their original boxes except for the Cleartop.

They are:
  1. RCA 12AU7A Cleartop
  2. Russian 6N6P Gold Grid (NOS NIB)
  3. Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin (NIB)
  4. RCA 6SN7GTB
  5. Sylvania 12SN7GT (the 12V equivalent of 6SN7GT)
  6. Optional: 6SN7 to 6DJ8 adapter (from Garage1217) for $20

I paid over $150 for them shipped. Selling them as a set for only $85 + shipping. Please send me a PM if interested, thanks!

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,085 of 3,354
Hey all,

I am clearing most of my tubes to fund for the Visseaux's. All of them work great in the Ember, and come with their original boxes except for the Cleartop.

They are:
  • RCA 12AU7A Cleartop
  • Russian 6N6P Gold Grid (NOS NIB)
  • Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin (NIB)
  • RCA 6SN7GTB
  • Sylvania 12SN7GT (the 12V equivalent of 6SN7GT)
  • Optional: 6SN7 to 6DJ8 adapter (from Garage1217) for $20

I paid over $150 for them shipped. Selling them as a set for only $85 + shipping. Please send me a PM if interested, thanks!

Let me know if you want to sell the 6n6p and 6n30p separately!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back