Project Ember Review
Sep 13, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #211 of 1,366
Ahhh interesting. Thanks for the tip about the extra low gain mod, that'll be helpful.
Glad to know that you can run something like the V6 without burning them up. I'm currently using the Fidelio X1's and at 30Ohms, they're obviously very easy to drive.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #212 of 1,366
Interesting thing happened the other day.  I use a novib socket saver to boost the height of the tube for easier swapping and to save the original socket from wear.  I purchased one about 11 months ago from Tubemonger.com.  The one I had started to act up so I contacted the seller, and explained what had happened.  He replied that he had sold thousands of them and only had about 8 go bad.  He made sure I swapped it in and out with other tubes and without novib.  This was on last Friday, I sent the email in the morning, and by afternoon had heard back from him.  He sent me a replacement the next day Saturday and I received it on Monday.  Customer service is alive and well, with this company.  He did not charge for it after 11 months of daily use, I feel good about this, that there are companies out there that still work with the customer to resolve issues. Felt he was trustworthy so I purchased a valve from him to so good faith.  Just wanted to pass on this info.  Don

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #214 of 1,366
  Has anyone tried replacing the power brick thing with a power supply like this one? http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64

I'd email Jeremy and ask him to make sure it will work fine, the project ember is really not the type of thing that you want to over power, the components are fairly exposed. Other than that, just make sure your grounded when turning stuff on :wink:

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #215 of 1,366
Nice Review,

my question would be though if the Project Ember would be an upgrade to my Matrix M-Stage with Hifiman HE-500?
I've read so many positive things about the Vali amp from Schiit that i'm asking myself if the Ember can hold up to the Vali?
Probably yes, or does it?

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #216 of 1,366
  Nice Review,

my question would be though if the Project Ember would be an upgrade to my Matrix M-Stage with Hifiman HE-500?
I've read so many positive things about the Vali amp from Schiit that i'm asking myself if the Ember can hold up to the Vali?

The main difference is customization. You can get  tubes that, like the vali, will provide a neutral sound signature, or you can get tubes to tailor the sound to specific headphones. I use a tesla 12ax7 to tame the highs of music when using my HE-500's (heavily modded for better soundstage and resolution, but insufficient damping in most cases). Check the tube rolling thread for more details (can't remember where it is right now, sorry.).

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #217 of 1,366
Ok sounds good,

i never did tube rolling though, is it easy to roll tubes i.e just turn out the tube and replace with other, or does it require special finesse?
Ok found the Ember tube rolling thread.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #218 of 1,366
No special skills required, it's just like you said - Turn off, wait for the tube to cool off, swap, turn back on.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #219 of 1,366
Alright nice thx.

so i probably get one in the next 2 months, i just hesitating because i already have an amp (matrix m-stage) but i suppose tube amps are something to be experienced by itself.

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #220 of 1,366
  Nice Review,

I haven't heard either of those amps, but I can tell you that the Ember beats the pants off the Little Dot MK3 and the Emotiva Mini-X. 

I'm sure the Vali is good for the price, but I wouldn't take the mass of positive reviews as indicating anything beyond the fact that Schiit is a popular brand. I considered getting a Vali instead of the Ember, I didn't, and I'm pretty happy. Concero to Ember is a killer combo. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #221 of 1,366

I haven't heard either of those amps, but I can tell you that the Ember beats the pants off the Little Dot MK3 and the Emotiva Mini-X. 

I'm sure the Vali is good for the price, but I wouldn't take the mass of positive reviews as indicating anything beyond the fact that Schiit is a popular brand. I considered getting a Vali instead of the Ember, I didn't, and I'm pretty happy. Concero to Ember is a killer combo

Mmh, sounds nice/promising.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #222 of 1,366
FWIW, Schiit Bifrost Uber to Ember > Bifrost Uber to Asgard 2. With T90, HE-560 and 1964 Ears V6-Stage (all currently owned) - as well as T1 (had for a month) and Noble K10 (on loan for a few days).

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #224 of 1,366
BTW, with it's low impedance setting (of .1 Ohms) and gobs of power in reserve, the Ember is stellar with multiple armature IEMs such as the K10 and V6-Stage - as well as the big cans using one of the higher impedance settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back