Project Ember Review
Jan 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #901 of 1,366
Anyway, to get back on track, I upgraded my DAC to the Bifrost Uber (from the Modi).  I also was able to audition the Bimby for a while...

Skyline, I've been trying to find this out for a while: what makes the Bifrost Uber better to you than the Bifrost Miltibit (Bimby)? Some say the latter is more organic, but that the former has better slam. And to keep this on topic, which pairs better with the Ember amp?

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #902 of 1,366

Skyline, I've been trying to find this out for a while: what makes the Bifrost Uber better to you than the Bifrost Miltibit (Bimby)? Some say the latter is more organic, but that the former has better slam. And to keep this on topic, which pairs better with the Ember amp?

Ah, I never said the Uberfrost was better :p  This is the exact thing I'm grappling with, in fact.

I had the Modi 2 Uber which worked wonderfully with the Ember.  I got the Bimby on loaner and instantly realized my days with the Modi were done.  More spacious and more refined.  Definitely a laid back and smooth sound which I enjoy, but it didn't sound dead, either.  Just enough energy and slam without sounding digital or fatiguing.  Very nice.

BUT, the Bimby was way out of my price range, so I picked up a used Uberfrost for $250...$125 if you count my Modi sale.  Pretty awesome deal.  The Uberfrost sounds pretty fantastic.  Perhaps a bit more digital and a tad more congested than the Bimby, but it's not night and day.

Now I'm in limbo, though...my audio memories of the Bimby are a couple of weeks old and I was hearing it after a year of nothing but my Modi 2, so the jump seemed very significant.  I never had a chance to directly compare the Bimby to the Uberfrost, though.  How much better is it?  $280 better?  And, just to make my life harder, you have the 4490 upgrade for only $70.  How close to the Bimby will that get me?  

Anyway, they all sound great with the Ember so the pairing is really a non-issue.  I'd feel fairly confident in saying the Bimby outclasses the Uberfrost, but it really depends on your wallet whether or not that's worth an extra couple hundred of bucks.  

I know someone who is going to have all three Bifrost versions on their desk next week to compare side by side.  I'm waiting to hear what he says before finally making a decision...

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #907 of 1,366
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I tuned into this thread. I was just wondering if there are any comparisons between the Project Ember and Schiit Vali2 now that the V2 has been out for a couple of months. Thanks.

I've not seen any such comparison, though it's not something I've been actively seeking out.
I've read comparisons with Starlight, and in stock configuration they seem similar, but the greater configurability and tube rolling capabilities of the Starlight potentially can provide a better sound experience for your personal needs.

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #908 of 1,366
I tried the Schit Vali 2 at the recent meet I put together, and while it wasn't an A/B comparison using any of the same headphones, what I will tell you is that it seemed only meeting but NOT exceeding the sound of the Ember 2 in any way, shape or form. I tried the DT 1770 and Fostex TH-X00 and at least on these headphones, I got a feeling they were way underpowered and not refined by any stretch of the imagination. (though the amp owner later told me it may have been on low gain mode) 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #909 of 1,366
  I tried the Schit Vali 2 at the recent meet I put together, and while it wasn't an A/B comparison using any of the same headphones, what I will tell you is that it seemed only meeting but NOT exceeding the sound of the Ember 2 in any way, shape or form. I tried the DT 1770 and Fostex TH-X00 and at least on these headphones, I got a feeling they were way underpowered and not refined by any stretch of the imagination. (though the amp owner later told me it may have been on low gain mode) 
rolleyes.gif

That's my personal experience too. I also haven't done a formal, in depth A/B comparison but the Ember is clearly in a different league.

More power, control, layering, refinement in the mids and treble, much bigger sound-stage, much more configurable, etc, etc.

The Vali2 is a great amp for the money, I have it for listening at low volume in bed with IEM's and it's perfect for that. The Ember is overpowered for my needs for very sensitive, very low impedance IEM's.

The most annoying thing I find about the Vali2 is the background hum, which isn't a grounding issue, but I think inherent to the amp, heard with most tubes and many lower impedance cans using the high gain setting. Fortunately, low gain is silent.

The other odd thing is that although the Starlight is rated as slightly lower powered than the Vali2 it actually achieves louder volumes with the same tube-odd, and makes me wonder how accurate output figures are-maybe also due to the slightly higher, not changeable, output impedance of the Vali 2.

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #910 of 1,366
Well, I am now back and almost ready to pull the trigger on a new Ember. 

I almost did last year then money got a bit tight.

Currently I have a Schiit Asgard 2 coupled with an Uber Bifrost and LCD-X headphones.

I like the bass that the LCD-X delivers. But like the overall neutrality overall. 

I'm hoping I would hear a positive difference in going from Schiit Asgard 2 to the Ember 2. I intend to still use my Uber Bifrost.

Any suggestions anyone here might have, I'm all ears.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #911 of 1,366

Currently I have a Schiit Asgard 2 coupled with an Uber Bifrost and LCD-X headphones.

I like the bass that the LCD-X delivers. But like the overall neutrality overall. 

I'm hoping I would hear a positive difference in going from Schiit Asgard 2 to the Ember 2. I intend to still use my Uber Bifrost.

No suggestions...I think you're making the right move. When you order, ask Jeremy what he a thinks a good tube pairing will be with the LCD-X.

Also, for not much money at all, I would recommend upping your Bifrost to the 4490. Less than $100 if you do a self-install.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #912 of 1,366

No suggestions...I think you're making the right move. When you order, ask Jeremy what he a thinks a good tube pairing will be with the LCD-X.

Also, for not much money at all, I would recommend upping your Bifrost to the 4490. Less than $100 if you do a self-install.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Is there really much difference between the Uber Bifrost and if I upgraded to the 4490? I suppose I could go clear to the Multibit, but sending equipment out of the country I live in is very expensive and difficult. So, sending in a card for $70 or whatever, would be far preferable. Can't see to find out much about this upgrade. What difference should I hear?

Also, I'm not at all able to install it, but I have an electrician who can if it is not really hard. Is it a pretty easy install?

I did ask about tubes. They recommended these: The 6n6p, 6n30p and 5814 black plate.

Any thoughts about them?

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #913 of 1,366

For one I would upgrade your Uber to 4490 card. Install it yourself, it's really easy and much cheaper.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #914 of 1,366
For one I would upgrade your Uber to 4490 card. Install it yourself, it's really easy and much cheaper.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Is there really much difference between the Uber Bifrost and if I upgraded to the 4490? I suppose I could go clear to the Multibit, but sending equipment out of the country I live in is very expensive and difficult. So, sending in a card for $70 or whatever, would be far preferable. Can't see to find out much about this upgrade. What difference should I hear?

Also, I'm not at all able to install it, but I have an electrician who can if it is not really hard. Is it a pretty easy install?

I did ask about tubes. They recommended these: [COLOR=141823]The 6n6p, 6n30p and 5814 black plate.

Any thoughts about them?[/COLOR]

The self install is really easy...go to the Bifrost Uber Upgrade thread because there is a step by step outline complete with photos. I just followed that and it was a snap. As for the difference in sound check out the Bifrost 4490 thread, I and others have comments on the difference between the Uber and the 4490. It's definitely an upgrade and an inexpensive one if you do the install yourself.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #915 of 1,366
I've heard the Bifrost with 4490 chip - the sound is absolutely nothing short of angelic and mesmerizing! The highest words of praise I could possibly come up with! And some super-critical fellow members said it compares extremely well to the Bimby (multibit version) costing several times more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back