Project Ember Review
Mar 29, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #916 of 1,366
  Thanks for your thoughts.

Is there really much difference between the Uber Bifrost and if I upgraded to the 4490? I suppose I could go clear to the Multibit, but sending equipment out of the country I live in is very expensive and difficult. So, sending in a card for $70 or whatever, would be far preferable. Can't see to find out much about this upgrade. What difference should I hear?

Also, I'm not at all able to install it, but I have an electrician who can if it is not really hard. Is it a pretty easy install?

I did ask about tubes. They recommended these: The 6n6p, 6n30p and 5814 black plate.

Any thoughts about them?

YMMV on the difference you hear between the Uber and 4490.  Many people are DAC deaf and really don't hear a difference at all.  If that's you, consider yourself lucky.

For me, the difference was significant.  There is more refinement and control...less congested may be the best descriptor.  Completely worth the $70 for me, especially after hearing the Bimby.  The Bimby is a fantastic DAC, but if you're talking about diminishing returns, then this is a shining example.  It can be argued that the Bimby has better detail retrieval, but the differences really come down to personal preference.  A touch more warmth (Bimby) or a touch more energy and sparkle (4490).  Really, though, the difference between the two is very small...and the price difference...not so small.  4490, hands down.

As others said, the upgrade is pretty straightforward and well outlined in the Uber thread.  If you go down that road and need tips, then by all means let me know and I can share my experience.

As for the tubes, I run a 6N6P with my HE-500 and LOVE it.  It's a darker/smokier tube, but it does so without losing detail or sounding smeared.  It didn't pair so well with the HD650, though...made it seem a bit dead.  I'm afraid I can't offer much of a pairing suggestion with the Audeze phones.

I also have a 6DJ8 (Amperex) that I find to be an excellent all rounder that sounds good with just about anything.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #918 of 1,366
From the designer of the Ember/Polaris about multibit dacs...worth reading.

http://diyah.boards.net/post/18445

Yup. Frans' opinion is good enough for me.

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #919 of 1,366
After reading Fran's thoughts, and getting a number of you saying I should absolutely go for it, I bought the upgrade for my Uber Bifrost to the 4490. I hope I'm not DAC deaf. LOL

On another note...

On the Garage1217 blog, I read a number of people saying that higher impedance headphones are better with the Ember - better because they are quieter.

My LCD-X are rated at 20 ohms which is quite low impedance. I can drive them from my iPad, but they don't sound real good. They actually like 1 watt or more of power. But they are low in ohms. And one thing I hate is noise or hiss. (though maybe these days I couldn't hear it as much as I've lost much of my high end of hearing. LOL)

So, still think the Ember is the right choice with the 6N6P and the stock tube it comes with?

Also, how long does a tube last on average?

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #920 of 1,366
  After reading Fran's thoughts, and getting a number of you saying I should absolutely go for it, I bought the upgrade for my Uber Bifrost to the 4490. I hope I'm not DAC deaf. LOL

On another note...

On the Garage1217 blog, I read a number of people saying that higher impedance headphones are better with the Ember - better because they are quieter.

My LCD-X are rated at 20 ohms which is quite low impedance. I can drive them from my iPad, but they don't sound real good. They actually like 1 watt or more of power. But they are low in ohms. And one thing I hate is noise or hiss. (though maybe these days I couldn't hear it as much as I've lost much of my high end of hearing. LOL)

So, still think the Ember is the right choice with the 6N6P and the stock tube it comes with?

Also, how long does a tube last on average?

It's not all about impedance.  Your LCD-X should be just fine.  

Tube life varies.  A new tube can last you a few years.  Of course there are always duds and it depends on how much you run them, etc.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #921 of 1,366
Well I'm excited to say that I sent the order through today for a new Ember 2. 

The new upgrade for my UberFrost and the Ember 2 should arrive at the same time. 

I can't wait to be able to give the Ember 2 a serious listen. Hopefully I will notice a difference between it and the Asgard 2.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me with this.

Soon as I get it in my hands, I will report. Will take about 2 weeks to get all the way to me.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #922 of 1,366
Hey everybody.

I got my Ember 2 and the 4490 upgrade for my Bifrost today.

Here are some impressions after a few hours...

I'm using my LCD-X headphones that I have on for like 12 hours daily. I also tried it with my MadDog Pro headphones.

First off, I am no audiophile, so I apologize in advance if my words are not very sophisticated. LOL

Before I upgraded my Bifrost, I simply swapped out my Asgard 2 for the Ember 2. The Ember 2 has the stock RCA cleartop 12au7 tube in it.

I turned it on, turned on a track I'm very familiar with... And... 

HOLY ****

The mids sounded louder or more forward. Not sure how to phrase it, but they were more present. Maybe even a tad too much.

As I kept switching the music around, the bass on this is incredible. A distinct improvement. Clear and present. Detailed.

But the biggest thing I noticed is everything was in it's place on a bigger sound stage. Like it is more precisely placed. Clear. It seems both taller and wider.

Yet, I had a nagging feeling like the mids were too present. I started thinking that it might just need me to settle in with it. 

I was a bit surprised I could hear a difference. But hear one I can. And it is quite a difference.

Finally I put on my MadDog Pro's and what a let down. They are just not in the same league as the LCD-X. I felt so much bass was just ripped out from my ears. Even cranking them way up didn't help. The Ember 2 finally let's me really hear the difference and clearly. I didn't want to listen to them for long. About 15 minutes to be sure what I was hearing was right. It was.

After about an hour of listening and loving this, I decided to do the upgrade to the 4490 on my Bifrost.

Bifrost upgrade to the 4490 board.

(Thanks to those of you who encouraged me to do it myself. It was super fast and easy. Ten minutes and would have been faster but so many little screws.)

Got it all set up, plugged in and turned on.

And WOW again!

The mids smoothed right out. But they maintain their presence somehow. More natural sounding. Again, a big upgrade.

And again, I'm a bit at a loss for words. The soundstage seems bigger still. I hear the reverb far clearer. The bass and sub bass are just outstanding. It's like I'm hearing layers of music. The high end sounds are distinctly in their own space. The bass and sub bass are in their space. It's so much wider and deeper. And again, a jump in clarity. Everything just fits together better. $70 was a steal for the 4490.

Just damn. This is so good I've been mesmerized.

Tomorrow I might put in my 6n6p tube and see if I hear a difference in it. Or I might not and just get used to all this.

Conclusion

Seriously, this is an enormous upgrade all the way around. 

I feel like my LCD-X's are putting out sound better than ever. I hear things in tracks I have not heard before. A rustling behind me in one that had me looking around the room. 

EDM is just outstanding. I have never heard it sound so good. Tiny details that weren't there before, now are. Precision, or maybe it's tightness in the low bass. While at the same time a clearness in the mids. And the highs are there in perfect balance. 

I am completely immersed as never before.

I sound like a babbling school girl. Ha ha. It is really that good. Super spaciousness, but with a more real sound. Not so cold like with the Asgard and the Uberfrost. The bass growls and pounds and pulses. I can feel it in my chest and stomach. Or at least it seems that way.

Does music get better than this?

My LCD-X has come to life with the Ember 2. I would never have believed it if you had told me I'd hear this much. 

Right now, Prometheus - Corridor of Mirrors - 9th (the man who swam through a speaker) is pulsing away as I write. It's hard to concentrate on what I'm trying to say. Ahh screw it... I had to turn it up a bit and just listen. Such precision and layering. Nothing seems to bleed on top of other things.

I have not heard higher end systems, so all I can compare it to is what I had, as I have outlined. But that is not half bad equipment. And this is FAR better.

I hope this helps someone.

Jeremey - thank you! You guys are incredible. I'm glad I went for this. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #923 of 1,366
Thanks for the update @SuperU

We now have the same setup, except I've got the HE-500.

At the least headphone meetup I went to I listened to a whole slew of 1-$3,000 headphones, amps, and DACs.  And after going back to my system there wasn't even the tiniest hint of a letdown.  It's really remarkable how much good sound you can get on a relatively modest budget these days.

Big thanks to companies like Garage1217 and Schiit who are putting really killer gear out there at very reasonable prices.

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #924 of 1,366
I agree. Went to an audio store the other day to order some stuff. Tested out my headphones on really expensive amps and dacs just for kicks. Relaxed for a couple of hours there. The Ember 2 still sings when I listen to it @home. It's a wonder how great it sounds at a fraction of the price.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #925 of 1,366
  Thanks for the update @SuperU

We now have the same setup, except I've got the HE-500.

At the least headphone meetup I went to I listened to a whole slew of 1-$3,000 headphones, amps, and DACs.  And after going back to my system there wasn't even the tiniest hint of a letdown.  It's really remarkable how much good sound you can get on a relatively modest budget these days.

Big thanks to companies like Garage1217 and Schiit who are putting really killer gear out there at very reasonable prices.

Nice. I have not heard the HE-500 but have read nice things about them.

I second your compliments to Garage1217 and Schiit. Just awesome gear.

I agree. Went to an audio store the other day to order some stuff. Tested out my headphones on really expensive amps and dacs just for kicks. Relaxed for a couple of hours there. The Ember 2 still sings when I listen to it @home. It's a wonder how great it sounds at a fraction of the price.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TraceStar, it is good to know this tests well against higher end stuff.

I just wrote this to Jeremy at Garage1217

"I'm telling you, I really did not expect this. I bought the Ember 2 thinking that if nothing else I will have a second amp for something. I thought I was going to have to spend like $2500+ to get something the next step better. Now I wonder if even spending that much would make much of a difference from what I have. Nor do I have much interest in doing that now. What I have is amazing.

This is beyond my expectations."

I think I will keep the tube it came with in it for a week or so. Then change it out to the 6n6p and listen for what differences there are.

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #926 of 1,366
Don't get much excited now! :p

It's all about going down the rabbit hole for you from now on... Start changing tubes and you WILL hear more differences for sure. I feel sorry about your pocket.

Congratulations anyway. Ember is the end game in regards to amps for me.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #927 of 1,366
Don't get much excited now! :p

It's all about going down the rabbit hole for you from now on... Start changing tubes and you WILL hear more differences for sure. I feel sorry about your pocket.

Congratulations anyway. Ember is the end game in regards to amps for me.

Yeah, I did get a bit excited. Still am.

Thing is, I just didn't expect this. I'm embarrassed to admit that I kind of thought this would just be something until I could afford some $2500 amp. So I was blown away by how good this really is. It has ended my desire for more. And if/when it hits again, I may try a few different tubes. Though, I don't really want to spend a lot there either. No real need. I love what I'm using that came with it. And I have a 6n6p to try. Once I settle on one, I'll buy 5 or 6 just in case something happens. :)

This is most probably end game for me too. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #928 of 1,366
Hey SuperU, I can relate to your posts! I came to the Ember from the Asgard 2 as well. Then I also added an R-2R DAC (mine happens to be from MHDT Labs) and other than some tube rolling, like you, I am feeling little if any need to upgrade.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #929 of 1,366
Hey SuperU, I can relate to your posts! I came to the Ember from the Asgard 2 as well. Then I also added an R-2R DAC (mine happens to be from MHDT Labs) and other than some tube rolling, like you, I am feeling little if any need to upgrade.

Can I ask which MHDT DAC you have?  I found a great deal on a Pagoda ($400) but GF said to wait since we are planning a long trip in a few months, still kicking my self for not picking it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back