Progress: PPX-3 Tube rolling pack
Jul 23, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #76 of 162
which poistion is the driver tube and which are output tubes?
I've only got about 20 hrs on my PPX3 (6cg7 w/ Solen Stage 1) and I'm finding it a bit on the warm side. It's very nice but I'm wondering which tube combo might wake up the snare hits and add a bit of top end sparkle. The dynamics are incredible.
I'm using hd600s; my other amp is an HR-2 for a point of reference.
Any hints? Do folks find other cans work better than the Senns w/ this amp (ie:CD3K)?
CPW
PS This is my first tube amp other than guitar rigs.

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #77 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I've only got about 20 hrs on my PPX3 (6cg7 w/ Solen Stage 1) and I'm finding it a bit on the warm side. It's very nice but I'm wondering which tube combo might wake up the snare hits and add a bit of top end sparkle. The dynamics are incredible.
Any hints? Do folks find other cans work better than the Senns w/ this amp (ie:CD3K)?
CPW

On the new ppx3 the driver tube is the first tube going left to right. The cryo RCA clear top is the most detailed and probably the one that would be most likely to give you a little extra sparkle at the top.

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:52 AM Post #78 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
CPW

In addition to sacd_lover's suggestion you could try a trio of GE's or combo's of GE's and Ei Elites.

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #79 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
In addition to sacd_lover's suggestion you could try a trio of GE's or combo's of GE's and Ei Elites.

I agree, I'm really liking the sound of the GE's, but I have yet to hear the RCA's. I'm gonna try a GE/Ei combo and see what that sounds like.

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #80 of 162
The tube pack will be sent out first thing tomorrow!

Here are my short impressions with each. I used an ATH-W100 and listened to Utada Hikaru - First Love, B'z - Treasure and 10,000 Maniacs - Our Time In Eden cds along with several random songs to compare the tubes.

Longplate Selectron + Mazda : Midrange very smooth but top and low end seems to be missing something. Easy and pleasant to listen to.

Golden Dragon: Sound is very full but seems flattened to the front of the head.

Shortplate Selectron: My favorite. Very airy tube sound that I love but is still fast and exciting.

GE: Nice sound. Not much to say except it's not very exciting.

Sylvania: Sounds similar to Selectron. Not as detailed as the RCA cleartops but love the textured low end and easy rythm. 2nd favorite.

Tungsol: Solid sound, medium speed, slightly tiring but sounds great

RCA Cleartop: Very interesting combination. Vocals are very airy and kind of raspy, but in a very good way. 3rd favorite.

Raytheon: More bass than the others, but it sounds kind of plain.

I forgot to write down my impressions of the other RCA tubes but I know i like the cleartops better =).

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #81 of 162
OK, the tuberolling pack is about to go from Sir Poulet to carterondrums. Donovansmith, please make sure that carterondrums has your contact information so that he can get the pack out to you next.

Jul 30, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #82 of 162
Hey!

I just picked up a PPX3 and if it isn't too late, would love to get in on this. If there is a space at the end for west coast members.....

who do I PM if so????

Obrigado!
Mahkook

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #83 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahkook
Hey!

I just picked up a PPX3 and if it isn't too late, would love to get in on this. If there is a space at the end for west coast members.....

who do I PM if so????

Obrigado!
Mahkook

There's plenty of time for you to get on the list. Please read the first page of the thread, which contains instructions...
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #84 of 162
Here's the updated list:

Canman
Gsferrari
Sir Poulet
Carterondrums (should have the pack Real Soon Now)
Donovansmith
Akio
Pondsquid
Mahkook
Elnero
Sandokan

Jul 31, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #85 of 162
Does this tuberolling saga qualify for a HeadFi record of sorts?
basshead.gif

I find it truly amazing that so many people can handle something as delicate as a box of tubes and share the magic...brilliant
blink.gif

Someone should keep tabs on how many miles the tubes have travelled...send the info to the Guiness book of world records
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #86 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Does this tuberolling saga qualify for a HeadFi record of sorts?
basshead.gif

I don't think so. Nick Dangerous did an MG Head tube rolling pack a while ago that probably went farther (and inspired this one).

Aug 5, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #88 of 162
I bought a couple sylvania 6cg7's last week and I lucked out and got one of the revered JAN versions from 1958; with the U shaped getter. I will let you know how it sounds.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back