Progress: PPX-3 Tube rolling pack
Sep 10, 2004 at 9:46 AM Post #106 of 162
I found out my favorite is an RCA blackplate with 2 RCA cleartops as drivers, which is a good thing since I own that set and have been using them for a while already
wink.gif
I didn't try all the tubes in there since I didn't have enough time (the box was sealed back up for a week waiting for the first chance I could get to the post office) but tried about half of them. I was quite impressed with the Tungsol tubes, but even that combo didn't surpass the RCA blackplate/cleartop combo.

Sep 10, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #107 of 162
A huge box that weighs very little has arrived, which i suspect are the tubes... thanks all. I'll probably keep them until a week from Monday. Even if i could keep them longer, an amp a touch smaller than the PPX may be more appropriate for the plane I need to get on Tuesday.

Anyway, Mahkook if you can PM me your address, and expect them about 2 weeks from today, maybe a bit earlier...

And thanks again to Hirsch for organizing this, looking forward to starting to check them out this weekend.

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #108 of 162
Please add me to the tube rolling pack list... I ordered up an MPX3 6CG7 last night, and according to Mikhail it should be here in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #110 of 162
Yep, the instructions said to post to the thread if interested in the tube pack. I'm interested, and I've posted. Thanks.

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #111 of 162
Go ahead and drop me from the list.... I purchased an electro-harmonex tube and have decided that I am pretty happy with that decision. I also haven't been able to do much listening lately, so I would be hard pressed to find time to give the whole pack a fair shake and still get the pack to the next person in due time.

I appreciate the opportunity to do this, and hope that everyone gets a chance to learn from it. Maybe some time in the future I will find some more time and another pack will make the rounds.

Obrigado!
Mahkook

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #112 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
Yep, the instructions said to post to the thread if interested in the tube pack. I'm interested, and I've posted. Thanks.

In like the 20th post on the first page Hirsch gives instructions which involve emailing him.

Sep 11, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #113 of 162
Reposted from the first page for your convenience
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I'm going to try and route the pack so that it has to travel the shortest distance between each person wanting in. I'd also like to know who has my tubes. So, please send me an e-mail at moehoward9000@mindspring.com with your Head-Fi user name, real name, address, and phone. I use heavy spam blocking, so please put "TUBE PACK" in the subject line. You may get something from Mindspring telling you that you need to ask to get into my address book or something, but as long as the subject line is clear, I'll get your e-mail. Once I've got everyone's addresses, I'll plot the route and post the order in which people will get the tubes. If interest is small, they will all go together. If enough people want to try the tubes, I'll break it into two packs that will travel different routes. As always, suggestions for making this happen smoothly are welcome.

NOTE: If I don't get an e-mail from you, you won't be on the list!

Sep 11, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #114 of 162
Updated list:

Canman
Gsferrari
Sir Poulet
Carterondrums
Donovansmith
Pondsquid (tubes are here)
KZEE
???

back to Hirsch

Sep 11, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #115 of 162
Hey guys,

I just PM'd Pondsquid. I mentioned this to Hirsch before and upon thinking more about it having a newborn in the house I just don't think I'm going to have the time to do the critical listening required. Add to that Canada Customs has been kicking my butt with everything that comes across the border lately and the fact that I already have a few of the tubes in the pack so I'm really only interested in 2 or 3 of the brands in there, I think I might be best off to just put the money I would pay for shipping and customs towards buying those tubes outright so I can experiment with them at my leisure.

I just want to thank Hirsch again for putting this together, it's a very generous gesture to the community and I hope everyone that takes part learns or finds something worthwhile. If I had more time right now I wouldn't hesitate but as it stands I don't think I would get out of it what I had originally intended with the short amount of time I would be able to put aside to listen.

Phil

Sep 12, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #116 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
In like the 20th post on the first page Hirsch gives instructions which involve emailing him.

Ah, I missed the part about the e-mailing. Thanks for setting me straight, and I'll send off an e-mail to Hirsch right now.

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #117 of 162
I hope I don't spoil the fun for anybody by posting my tube impressions. I only listened to part of the pack and skipped over some that I already had at least one of. In the end the RCA blackplate/cleartop combo still is my favorite. These impressions were written as I listened to each tube so the descriptions probably aren't the greatest. Here goes:

Using a Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard connected to a PPX3 with my cables and driving AKG K 271 Studio headphones. My current favorite is using an RCA blackplate driver and RCA cleartop outputs and I'll refer to these as my benchmark combo. For the record, I do not particularly like the seemingly popular trio of RCA cleartops, what that trio does to transients should be illegal (it's very sloppy with them), although I love them as output tubes. Each of these descriptions were written when I listened to the tubes so of course you can expect my favorites to change over time.

August 23

Golden Dragon 6FQ7 trio

Tube physically looks a lot like an Ei tube.

Very good overall. Excellent soundstage, full-sounding bass with nice body and excellent slam while not sounding too flabby, a bit distant sounding although vocals don't sound too recessed.

I am quite impressed by the wide soundstage these things project. It makes some music sound a bit distant, though. At the same time imaging seems good although some vocals sound a bit disembodied.

Overall a nice tube but the at times overly spacious and somewhat distant soundstage takes away from the tube's otherwise nice pace. Vocals lack body and coherence and that really can detract from a lot of music. Transients seem to be handled well but slightly rounded off but not nearly as bad as a trio of RCA cleartops (those things destroy transients). I will have to try these as output tubes with an RCA blackplate driver, I think they will complement that tube quite well.

RCA blackplate 6CG7 driver/Golden Dragon FQ7 outputs

Now that's a bit better. Soundstage narrowed a little bit, but everything is much more coherent. Imaging is better than before and transients are sharper. Bass is not quite as deep and full as before but still quite nice and more controlled. The sound just seems more evenly balanced and vocals are quite a bit better than before. This is an awesome combo and offers some competition for the RCA cleartops as output tubes. Like the cleartops, they aren't the best as a trio but really combine well with a forward, fast driver tube like the RCA blackplate. I would seriously like a pair of these to use as output tubes, too bad they seem to be impossible to find on the 'net.

August 24

Raytheon Short-Plate 6FQ7 Trio

Rather distinctive short gray plates make these stand out appearance-wise.

The best trio of tubes I have heard so far and holds its own against combos of different makes of other tubes. Bass is lighter than the Golden Dragons as well as slightly lighter than my benchmark RCA blackplate/cleartop combo, but I wouldn't say it was lacking at all and it maintains very good impact. Good imaging and positioning, nice soundstage although it's not as wide as other tubes I've heard. Vocals are just slightly recessed, but not overly so. Slightly tipped up upper midrange and lower treble similar to my RCA blackplate. Detail is quite nice and transients are all there and not being rounded off or being turned to mush. Good pace and rhythm. I would put these on the slightly fast side, although not as fast as an RCA blackplate. These are quite well-rounded overall and it seems their tonality meshes very well with the PPX3/AKG K 271 Studio combo, reducing the forwardness of the midrange of the 271s as well as slightly reducing the quite plentiful bass that the PPX3 inherently has and the 271s are good at producing. This is the first set that I've heard as a trio that I seriously like which is quite impressive to me. My RCA blackplate/cleartop combo will still edge it out in some ways but these definitely offer a nice alternative.

August 25

Mazda 6CG7 driver/Selectron 6CG7 outputs

Unique short-bottle and short-plate on the Mazda tube, Selectron tubes look somewhat like some GE and RCA tubes I have.

Really not a dramatic departure from the Raytheon trio. Very slightly lighter in the bass although it also sounds better controlled, not as tipped up in the upper midrange and lower treble, and a more relaxed and slower sound overall. Midrange is more pronounced than the Raytheon trio. The soundstage seems slightly narrower. Can't really say anything negative about them though.

August 26

Sylvania 6CG7 trio

Gray ridge-plates.

Sound is a bit on the slow side and a brighter tilt than the Mazda/Selectron combo, although not bright overall. It seems as I have gone through the tubes the bass has gotten lighter with each set, and this is no exception. It's all there and sounds nice but just doesn't stick out very much. Midrange is still slightly recessed, but none of the tubes I have heard so far have had a midrange that is like the RCA blackplate. These tubes are very smooth sounding and relaxing overall and like my black-plate Sylvania have far less than sibilance than I've heard in other 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes so far. Soundstage is wider than either the Mazda/Selectron combo or Raytheon trio and similar to my benchmark combo.

Tungsol 6CG7 trio

Look just like my Dumont-branded tube except very slightly different shields on the top of the filaments and black plates on the Dumont, which leads me to believe my Dumont tube is of Tungsol manufacture.

Spacious sound almost as wide as the Golden Dragons, but much more coherent imaging than those. Deep, tight bass in just the right proportion to the rest of the music that is notable for how well controlled it is and how much punch it has at the same time. These just have a very nice sound overall and I think I can safely say these kick the butts of any other trio or combo I have tried out of the tube pack so far. The first set I have been able to put in and give an undoubted thumbs up to. Just plain excellent transient response and excellent detail. Hell, they are presenting some serious competition for my benchmark combo. I have got to get me a trio of these!

Sep 12, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #118 of 162
OK, list is updated above. KZEE, please get your contact information to pondsquid. You'll get the pack from him, and send to Sandokan.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #119 of 162
Note the altered order above. Sandokan, please get your contact information to Pondsquid. You're now next in line for the pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back