Progress: PPX-3 Tube rolling pack
Oct 13, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #137 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
let us know how you like it

Well, the 6CG7 based MPX is turning out to be a bit too forward for my tastes, and Mikhail has graciously offered to swap my MPX3 6CG7 for a 6SN7 model. So, I can't give you a report on how the MPX 6CG7 sounds, and seeing as I won't have a 6CG7 based amp with which to roll the 6CG7 tube pack tubes into, I'm also requesting that I be taken off of the tube pack list.

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #138 of 162
Updated list:

Canman
Gsferrari
Sir Poulet
Carterondrums
Donovansmith
Pondsquid (tubes are here)
vanillawafer
DrewWinters

back to Hirsch

Pondsquid, the tubes should be headed toward vanillawafer soon, if they are not already on the way.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #139 of 162
Tubes are here! Mail man just dropped them off
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #140 of 162
Wow, I had no idea that the various tubes played such a distinct role in the sound produced out of this amp.

So far I don't like the RCA Clear Top as a driver, the bass is to bloated for me. Right now I have a GE Driver and RCA Clears in the outputs, and It sounds much more realistic especially in the bass. I also really like the RCA BlackPlate Driver with RCA Clears as outputs. Just my initial impressions based on only a couple of hours worth of listening.

EDIT:
This is based on listening with HD 25-1's. Sold my a900s so I could get some HD-650s that will arive early next week, so my impressions could change once I listen to the tubes with my Senns.

Nov 8, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #142 of 162
Updated list with new addition:

Canman
Gsferrari
Sir Poulet
Carterondrums
Donovansmith
Pondsquid
vanillawafer
DrewWinters (tubes are here)
Vedder323

back to Hirsch

Vedder323, please send your contact info to DrewWinters. DrewWinters just received the pack, so it will be a couple of weeks before it ships again.

Anyone else wanting to sample the pack before it comes back to me should let me know, via instructions posted in the thread, ASAP...

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #143 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch

Canman
Gsferrari
Sir Poulet
Carterondrums
Donovansmith
Pondsquid
vanillawafer
Vedder323

back to Hirsch

Vedder323, please send your contact info to DrewWinters. DrewWinters just received the pack, so it will be a couple of weeks before it ships again.

Anyone else wanting to sample the pack before it comes back to me should let me know, via instructions posted in the thread, ASAP...

Thanks for the kindness Hirsch, we all certainly appreciate it! PM has been sent to DrewWinters!

Nov 11, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #144 of 162
I'm getting a little confused here... I can't seem to pin down what is different about each tube. Sometimes they sound the same, but sometimes they sound different, but what seems different about them only lasts for a second (i.e. one part, or even note, of a song will sound different in some way, but then other parts will not - or they will sound different in a contridictory way) or changes from song to song.
confused.gif

Does this make sense? I'm much more used to more dramatic changes in sound - particularly frenquency response, but tubes don't seem to change the frequency response in any meaningful amount ... so what should I be listening for?

Perhaps my sonic memory is just poor - after the time it takes to get the tubes warmed up I've already forgotten what the last ones sounded like.

Nonetheless, this isn't to say I haven't heard ANY change, just that I can't seem to nail it down. "This tube is brighter, this one is more liquid, etc."

Ironically, what sparked this post is that the Golden Dragons sound better to me; but I can't figure out WHY!

Nov 11, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #145 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewWinters

etc." Ironically, what sparked this post is that the Golden Dragons sound better to me; but I can't figure out WHY!

Be happy!
icon10.gif
The Dragons are new production tubes and very inexpensive.

Nov 12, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #147 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Be happy!
icon10.gif
The Dragons are new production tubes and very inexpensive.

Where can you find Golden Dragons, I've not seen any with the exception of the ones you included with the tube rolling pack?

Nov 21, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #148 of 162

Canman
Gsferrari
Sir Poulet
Carterondrums
Donovansmith
Pondsquid
vanillawafer
Vedder323

back to Hirsch

Holidays are coming, and people may be going out of town. If you're still waiting for the pack, please coordinate with the person ahead of you and the one behind you on the list, so that you don't get a parcel when you're away for the holidays...
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #150 of 162
List edited, as the person at the end would have been out of town when the tube pack is ready to go to him. I can send it out again in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back