Prog rock
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #4,174 of 4,499
I don't know if this one's on here yet, but I'm rockin' out to Rabea Massaad's latest, Grinding Gears Vol. 4. It's every bit as good as I was expecting the follow up to Vol. 3 to be.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #4,175 of 4,499
I don't know if this one's on here yet, but I'm rockin' out to Rabea Massaad's latest, Grinding Gears Vol. 4. It's every bit as good as I was expecting the follow up to Vol. 3 to be.

I can find GG 1, 3 & 4 on Tidal but no 2.
Been following Rabea since he started with Rob Chapman and Andertons - great musician

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #4,178 of 4,499
I can find GG 1, 3 & 4 on Tidal but no 2.
Been following Rabea since he started with Rob Chapman and Andertons - great musician

Qobuz has all four and so does Bandcamp. I wonder if Vol. 2 was recorded under a different publishing and distribution deal. That's the only reason I can think of off the top of my head that it wouldn't be available to a major streaming service while the other three are.

Now that Tidal is gonna be switching to Hi-res and no MQA in April I'm probably going to give them another shot to see how I like it. How do you think Tidal stacks up to other services you've used?

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #4,179 of 4,499
Qobuz has all four and so does Bandcamp. I wonder if Vol. 2 was recorded under a different publishing and distribution deal. That's the only reason I can think of off the top of my head that it wouldn't be available to a major streaming service while the other three are.

Now that Tidal is gonna be switching to Hi-res and no MQA in April I'm probably going to give them another shot to see how I like it. How do you think Tidal stacks up to other services you've used?
I can only compare it to Amazon Music Unlimited and Tidal is definitely better. Put it this way, when I had AMU I used to do most of my listening to my local library through JRiver but since getting Tidal I've listened to everything through it. Apart from Amazon not being able to implement Exclusive mode properly, I find the app was clunkier to use and Tidal just sounds better to my, admittedly old and battered, ears.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #4,180 of 4,499

I looked for #4 on Qobuz last week and it wasn’t there- just checked and now it is so that’s GOOD! Oddly I wasn’t able to find #3, only 1and 2. I don’t know what is going on.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #4,181 of 4,499
I can only compare it to Amazon Music Unlimited and Tidal is definitely better. Put it this way, when I had AMU I used to do most of my listening to my local library through JRiver but since getting Tidal I've listened to everything through it. Apart from Amazon not being able to implement Exclusive mode properly, I find the app was clunkier to use and Tidal just sounds better to my, admittedly old and battered, ears.
I have a friend who was using AMU as well who just switched to Qobuz and says there is a noticeable difference. He uses a computer to stream and claimed the quality (or lack of) has something to do with Windows drivers. 🤷‍♂️

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #4,182 of 4,499
I looked for #4 on Qobuz last week and it wasn’t there- just checked and now it is so that’s GOOD! Oddly I wasn’t able to find #3, only 1and 2. I don’t know what is going on.

Weird. All four are available for me on Qobuz right now.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #4,183 of 4,499
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #4,184 of 4,499
On Tidal when searching by artist only 1 & 3 are available but 4 pops up when searching by title - I guess their library backend hasn't fully updated yet

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #4,185 of 4,499
I have a friend who was using AMU as well who just switched to Qobuz and says there is a noticeable difference. He uses a computer to stream and claimed the quality (or lack of) has something to do with Windows drivers. 🤷‍♂️
Because Amazon's idea of Exclusive mode doesn't send directly to the DAC (as it should), everything has to go through the Windows mixer. I mitigated the problem somewhat by setting Windows to 384kHz so that everything was upsampled, rather than down sampling everything to 44.1kHz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back