Prog rock
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #2,147 of 4,462
Remember my "Carefree Prog" playlist? which I extended to "Carefree Rock". Now it's called "rɅdiant" and it's not limited to any genres :)

Here are 2 new entries:

This songs by Subsignal perfectly defines the direction of the "rɅdiant" playlist.

And here's the updated playlist:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #2,148 of 4,462
I like that a lot better than most of the symphonic type metal that's been posted recently. It all begins to sound the same.

Yes, very much so.
It seems to come in 2 flavors.
1.), Euro guitar bands want to sound like "Within Temptation"

2.) Everyone else, with a few exceptions, tries to sound like "Dream Theater"

The problem with much of it, is that the distortion sound the guitarists are using for both rhythm and lead, is very generic and blandly similar.
Unfortunately, many of these "faux Prog" metal math music shredders have the idea that a heavy metal guitar sound gives their music power, and if the drummer has a double kick, then let him loose.
They do not understand that musicality is about dynamics and about contrast.
The reality is, the problem is.......these bands are so self indulgent with 8 min songs that go nowhere, say nothing, and then end, and all sound the same.
The only thing worse then this, is the slew of "doom metal" type bands that have the device plugged into the lead vocal that makes the voice sound like a demon being cast out of a pig.
And all of this is happening because bands are not using a good producer. A good producer will tell the band...."ok, that is noise, get rid of that 4 min section.... as its ruining the song".
These bands are producing themselves, or they are being produced by a person who understands how to get that "Dream Theater" guitar and drum sound, but does not understand that if the song is not good, then .........yuk.
There is a prog-ish band out of England...>"Mystery< and a jazz-prog band out of Asia... "Elephant Gym" who both understand that the song comes first, then the instrumental gymnastics.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #2,150 of 4,462
Yes, very much so.
It seems to come in 2 flavors.
1.), Euro guitar bands want to sound like "Within Temptation"

2.) Everyone else, with a few exceptions, tries to sound like "Dream Theater"

The problem with much of it, is that the distortion sound the guitarists are using for both rhythm and lead, is very generic and blandly similar.
Unfortunately, many of these "faux Prog" metal math music shredders have the idea that a heavy metal guitar sound gives their music power, and if the drummer has a double kick, then let him loose.
They do not understand that musicality is about dynamics and about contrast.
The reality is, the problem is.......these bands are so self indulgent with 8 min songs that go nowhere, say nothing, and then end, and all sound the same.
The only thing worse then this, is the slew of "doom metal" type bands that have the device plugged into the lead vocal that makes the voice sound like a demon being cast out of a pig.
And all of this is happening because bands are not using a good producer. A good producer will tell the band...."ok, that is noise, get rid of that 4 min section.... as its ruining the song".
These bands are producing themselves, or they are being produced by a person who understands how to get that "Dream Theater" guitar and drum sound, but does not understand that if the song is not good, then .........yuk.
There is a prog-ish band out of England...>"Mystery< and a jazz-prog band out of Asia... "Elephant Gym" who both understand that the song comes first, then the instrumental gymnastics.
Just a minor correction, Mystery is from Canada, unless you're talking about a different band that I'm not aware of then my bad. But if it's the same band, One Among the Living and Delusion Rain are a great listen.

Jan 1, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #2,151 of 4,462
Welcome to 2019 the (official) 50th anniversary of when it all began

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #2,155 of 4,462
Every time I rediscover this song I'm amazed at how harmonious it is...
Don't mind the sometimes cheesy new-agey imagery in this video. Just pay attention to music and lyrics.

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #2,157 of 4,462
Here is the latest metal math rock, by Dream Theater.
Its not prog, but, neither is DT ... so...here you go.
Honestly, all their music kinda sounds the same to me.
Good players.
I have no idea if this is true, as i have not researched it, but this track sounds like it was mixed by Chris Lord Alge.
These guitars sound a lot like MUSE, and Chris mixes them a lot.
-
-

-

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #2,158 of 4,462
Here is the latest metal math rock, by Dream Theater.
Its not prog, but, neither is DT ... so...here you go.
Honestly, all their music kinda sounds the same to me.
Good players.
I have no idea if this is true, as i have not researched it, but this track sounds like it was mixed by Chris Lord Alge.
These guitars sound a lot like MUSE, and Chris mixes them a lot.
-
-

-

Its prog metal, but who cares what genre it is. The last few DT albums are not masterpieces, let's hope the new album changes that.

:beerchug::L3000:

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #2,159 of 4,462
Its prog metal, but who cares what genre it is. The last few DT albums are not masterpieces, let's hope the new album changes that.

:beerchug::L3000:
Firstly, thanx for posting this Fb.
This is the 3rd song I’ve now heard off the latest and I can say with certainty, im done with them. It all started with losing Portnoy. The musical direction they’ve taken is much more commercial and radio friendly (which will never happen, but?......) IMO. Mangini is just too predictable and boring in his style. He may be a good drummer but he’s changed the entire dynamic of the band and their direction. Boring!
This particular song sounds just like the DT album, pretty close to something like along for the ride or behind the veil. The Astonishing was a What kinda album is this? Just horrid and not my thing

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,160 of 4,462
Firstly, thanx for posting this Fb.
This is the 3rd song I’ve now heard off the latest and I can say with certainty, im done with them. It all started with losing Portnoy. The musical direction they’ve taken is much more commercial and radio friendly (which will never happen, but?......) IMO. Mangini is just too predictable and boring in his style. He may be a good drummer but he’s changed the entire dynamic of the band and their direction. Boring!
This particular song sounds just like the DT album, pretty close to something like along for the ride or behind the veil. The Astonishing was a What kinda album is this? Just horrid and not my thing

You are tough but fair and probably right :)

That said I am not completely done with them. I still sometimes listen to the old DT. I grew up with Images and Words and still love that album, that wont change. I will give the new album a fair chance, listen from A to B, and then make up my mind. But yes I am not overly positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back