Prog rock
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,909 of 4,462
The new "Riverside - Wasteland" album is out now.

After the first listen, I think this is my favorite Riverside album to date.

I like how this band managed to continue and evolve, in spite of the tragic loss of Piotr Grudziński.
"Wasteland" sounds and feels mature.
It flows at a slower pace, devoid of technical intricacies but left with pure melody, emotion and substance.

The guitar/keyboard riffs in "Acid Rain", "Vale of Tears" and some of the other songs remind me of "Muse", although the vocals and tone take the song to an entirely different direction, so the resemblance with "Muse" is only tangential. But a feel of post war / revolution / turmoil / faded anthemic aesthetics transpire throughout the album. Now it's all a wasteland. If you played the Stalker or Metro games you know what I'm talking about. "River Down Below" starts like a russian ballad then builds up to heartbreaking lyricism. Just beautiful.
The title track "Wasteland", starts in a Jethro Tull folk style and develops very satisfyingly.
A flavor of Opeth "à la Damnation" lyricism is also present in places throughout the album.

Even in the more up-tempo tracks the use of free air / negative space is amazingly well done. In true Pink Floyd fashion nothing is added to unnecessary fill the space and make the song dense and bloated. So the entire album just breathes. This makes for an easier and more comprehensive absorption of music and lyrics at listener end.
Overall a very well integrated album from start to finish. And not too long! which is good.

I finally had time to listen to this album...IT...IS...AMAZING!!! It sounds to me as if a lot of emphasis has been placed on ambience, phrasing and note selection, no parts of the album sounds disjointed nor distracted, no wasted notes at all, absolutely incredible. Not to mention, I'm in love with the tone and production of the record from the drums to the bass to the guitars and even the two notes phrase of the acoustic guitar in the bridge of 'Lament'.

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,914 of 4,462
new Cell15 album is out just a couple days ago. First cut is outstanding. Have a listen. Whole album on Tidal and bandcamp

Thanks! Cell15 is good stuff :) That live one was good also.

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,915 of 4,462
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,917 of 4,462
Holly cow, I didn't know that the new Kauan album was out? Highly recommended!
no kidding! I've been looking for something like this for a while - trying to get downtempo music suitable for relaxation/night time listening. Very soothing journey, ethereal,melodic, natural instrumentation - not all synthesized. I just wish I could understand the lyrics :) Regardless, really good rec.

edit. And no sooner do I post this - and I go to their website and read "On the first anniversary of Kaiho, we are sharing a fully instrumental version of the album."

YES!

edit again. The instrumental version is miraculously available for 'name your price' here on bandcamp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back