Prog rock
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,547 of 4,447
There are a couple of reasons I didn't 'click' with this album when it first came out.

1. I think Mike Portnoy can be a jackass of the highest level
2. Neal Morse can be quite 'preachy'

But this album is fantastic. And through my HD-800S's, absolutely sublime...

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,548 of 4,447
Loving this band, Hammond Organ driven Prog

Very cool!

Edit: listening to other Accordo Dei Contrari tunes on Tidal right now. Holy smokes they are good! Thanks HungryPanda!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #1,549 of 4,447
There are a couple of reasons I didn't 'click' with this album when it first came out.

1. I think Mike Portnoy can be a jackass of the highest level
2. Neal Morse can be quite 'preachy'

But this album is fantastic. And through my HD-800S's, absolutely sublime...

I feel the same way about both performers. That said, I'll give it a listen when i have a chance.

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #1,550 of 4,447
Can some you guys recommend some newer prog-rock thats available. I listen to Genesis (Gabriel era ), King Crimson, Rush and Yes ect,ect. I have bought a couple of Porcupine tree albums that I am still taken in. I am more into prog-rock vs prog-metal if that makes any sense. Thanks in advance for your help !

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #1,551 of 4,447
Can some you guys recommend some newer prog-rock thats available. I listen to Genesis (Gabriel era ), King Crimson, Rush and Yes ect,ect. I have bought a couple of Porcupine tree albums that I am still taken in. I am more into prog-rock vs prog-metal if that makes any sense. Thanks in advance for your help !

Have you heard the last 2 Big Big Train albums ?

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #1,552 of 4,447

If you will listen to the two Big Big Train albums above (which are excellent), then start with the one before them - "Folklore". They're some kind of trilogy and make sense together.
Then try the other one posted above - The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude Of A Dream.
Also comes to mind:
Kaipa - Children Of The Sounds
Amplifier - Trippin' with Dr Faustus
Cosmograf - The Hay-Man Dreams, The Unreasonable Silence
Moonrise - Soul's Inner Pendulum
Gazpacho - Molok
Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere (also mentioned here recently)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,554 of 4,447

+1 exactly...... appreciate any help with this !

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #1,555 of 4,447

Opeths sorceress album is extremely reminiscint of jethro tull and crimson. Just don't go to deep into their back catalogue if you're not into metal, as they used to be real heavy, in an absolutely magnificent way that I often times miss. But sorceress, is an insanely good record, one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,556 of 4,447
Opeths sorceress album is extremely reminiscing of jethro tull and crimson. Just don't go to deep into their back catalogue if you're not into metal, as they used to be real heavy, in an absolutely magnificent way that I often times miss. But sorceress, is an insanely good record, one of my favorites.
Hmmm. Maybe it's time I give this another listen. It often takes me a year or two to catch up with Opeth.

I remember disliking "Still Life" for a long time, and then one day: Top 10 all-time!

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,557 of 4,447
The guy who formed Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, has some decent solo prog rock albums, imo.
I think those may have had some coverage on here :)

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #1,560 of 4,447
Picked this up in 1974. Liked it then, and like it now!
Triumvirat-Illusions On A Double Dimple
It sounds like Focus & Supertramp & The Who together :) Very good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back