Prog rock
Jan 22, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,578 of 4,426
I am into prog rock, I know! Who would have thought!

My early years was all about Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis and ELP. Those four bands made up more than half my record collection. I was a bit too young to have seen any live at the time, though I did see Genesis on the "Mama Tour" in 1984, but that was after they had gone pop. I have since seen Yes a couple of times and have tickets for the Roger Waters tour. I never did see ELP. Next up were King Crimson, who I properly got into when I finally heard their 1980s classics Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair. I finally saw them a few years back and will do again later this year, sadly, without them playing anything from those albums.

As far as traditional British prog, that was about it and for me the prog tradition moved to Scandinavia and in particular, Anekdoten. Others who I listen to a lot are Gate, Gazpacho, Ulver, Jaga Jazzist and "are they prog or not" Sigur Ros. I have see them live twice, outstanding live shows both times.

For me prog has morphed into other styles, such as metal based prog by the likes of Devin Townsend, Leprous, Dream Theatre and 12ft Ninja. There are more modern bands who have carried on with the prog style, such as The Pineapple Thief, Radiohead and Riverside.

That's me coming up to 40 years listening to prog and I will never tire of it.

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #1,584 of 4,426
Grails, brilliant, saw them live a few years back. The post rock genre is another of my favourites.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,587 of 4,426
prog or not" Sigur Ros
LOVE them more so their earlier stuff up to and including Takk but to be honest it's all good.

Definitely modern progressive music, in the true sense of the word. Otherworldly ethereal Icelandic brilliance.

They even sing in their own language 'Icelandish' á la Magma, a true sign of prog tendencies.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,588 of 4,426
LOVE them more so their earlier stuff up to and including Takk but to be honest it's all good.

Definitely modern progressive music, in the true sense of the word. Otherworldly ethereal Icelandic brilliance.

They even sing in their own language 'Icelandish' á la Magma, a true sign of prog tendencies.

I found them on tidal and started listening to their "top tracks". Got into doing some work so was somewhat distracted, but enjoying them playing in the background - sounded very cool. But after a while it dawned on me that their songs sound very similar to each other. I then realized that I was on repeat mode listening to the first track "Svefn-englar" over and over. D'oh! (I'm a nice boy, but built pretty low to the ground LOL).

Anyway, I'm now looking forward to getting familiar with some of their other songs!

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,589 of 4,426
Holly cow, I didn't know that the new Kauan album was out? Highly recommended!

Man I loved this song! Exquisite sound!
Will listen to this album and more from Kauan. Thanks!
Generally I'm not a big fan of "Post-something" 20-minutes-one-guitar-note music. I think that sometimes it is an excuse for making something "innovative" that ultimately is just bad, boring or devoid of musical value.
But this is something different - sublime I might say :)
I just finished Rise Of The Tomb Raider and it goes superbly with the mood of the game.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,590 of 4,426
Man I loved this song! Exquisite sound!
Will listen to this album and more from Kauan. Thanks!
Generally I'm not a big fan of "Post-something" 20-minutes-one-guitar-note music. I think that sometimes it is an excuse for making something "innovative" that ultimately is just bad, boring or devoid of musical value.
But this is something different - sublime I might say :)
I just finished Rise Of The Tomb Raider and it goes superbly with the mood of the game.

I'm glad that you like them :wink:

You should try their previous album 'Sorni Nai'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back