Prog rock
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #2,281 of 4,470
No worries. I'm not that familiar with Tool, so your post means that I'll be checking out aenima forthwith!
Actually don`t. Aenima was "jump/beginning" for them... to the world of Lateralus album, which, imho, was/is progress and evolution of their music. 10K days took it little further but held its roots in Lateralus. and personally I think this new album is evolution of their music. After 13years hiatus and other projects, sounds sensible/logical. No-one wants another "Aenima" (at least I don`t as it would be just another Aenima, musically getting stuck in one "chapter"). But luckily they do not care what YOU want, they just do what they do as they want.
I`m sorry for ppl disliking different bands evolution and getting stuck in one certain "era" of band, discrediting all newer work.
Don`t get me wrong, Aenima is great in its "time" context... just that, you can be disappointed only in Your own expectations! :wink:
Jump in the river, go with the flow, evolve and understand... you get much more in return in this short life.
Each time I listen to their new stuff (3 songs out there atm - Decending, Invincible, Fear inoculum), I get more and more out of it and understand it.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #2,283 of 4,470
I'll have to check the other two! I only was aware of the one.
OH MY! O_o
You`ve missed A LOT!
Personally, Lateralus is my fav album from them. But I`m pretty sure by those 3 new songs that Fear Inoculum takes its place when I get it.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #2,284 of 4,470
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Anyone have some more obscure prog metal recommendations? I know most of the big prog metal bands, a la DT, Symphony X, etc. Should I pick up an OSI album? And this Indukti stuff is pretty cool
cool.gif

What I'm really trying to do is get a new CD to listen to right when I get my new hd595s
wink.gif
wink.gif

I'm totally resurrecting a realllllly old post here but wanted to acknowledge it all the same. Why? Because seeing a reference to a band as obscure as Indukti on here just made me smile.

Their debut album "S.U.S.A.R." is actually my equal favourite album of all time. And their follow up album, "Idmen," contains my most listened to track of the last ten years; "Ninth Wave" (which obviously inspired my user name on this forum).

I had been in touch with the manager of the band who assured me they had a new album coming...but that was a few years ago now. They probably have other commitments.

I know nothing about the individual members of this band and wouldn't even know them if I passed by them in the street. But their music....geezus, it's so captivating and it blows my mind how much I yearn for a new album from them. I'm almost obsessive in the way that I check my "new prog releases" RSS feed (courtesy of Prog Archives) for a mention of Indukti, every bloody time I open up my mail browser. I'm losing hope though. Maybe they're trying to mimic Tool's album cycles.

Anyway, that's my story. It was nice seeing the band mentioned here. And a good number of other bands I love have been mentioned too, which is really cool.

I'll endeavour to respond to some other posts in due course.

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,285 of 4,470
I'm totally resurrecting a realllllly old post here but wanted to acknowledge it all the same. Why? Because seeing a reference to a band as obscure as Indukti on here just made me smile.

Their debut album "S.U.S.A.R." is actually my equal favourite album of all time. And their follow up album, "Idmen," contains my most listened to track of the last ten years; "Ninth Wave" (which obviously inspired my user name on this forum).

I had been in touch with the manager of the band who assured me they had a new album coming...but that was a few years ago now. They probably have other commitments.

I know nothing about the individual members of this band and wouldn't even know them if I passed by them in the street. But their music....geezus, it's so captivating and it blows my mind how much I yearn for a new album from them. I'm almost obsessive in the way that I check my "new prog releases" RSS feed (courtesy of Prog Archives) for a mention of Indukti, every bloody time I open up my mail browser. I'm losing hope though. Maybe they're trying to mimic Tool's album cycles.

Anyway, that's my story. It was nice seeing the band mentioned here. And a good number of other bands I love have been mentioned too, which is really cool.

I'll endeavour to respond to some other posts in due course.

Hey Ninth Wave - I just listened Ninth Wave. Excellent! Good 'ol Polish prog band. Reminds me of Riverside (a favorite of mine), and I see that Mariusz Duda did vocals on their first album.

Will be checking all of their stuff out. Thanks!

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #2,286 of 4,470
Hey Ninth Wave - I just listened Ninth Wave. Excellent! Good 'ol Polish prog band. Reminds me of Riverside (a favorite of mine), and I see that Mariusz Duda did vocals on their first album.

Will be checking all of their stuff out. Thanks!

Yeah, Mariusz was indeed a guest vocalist on their first album and he's used to great effect. Not all tracks contain vocals and yet the instrumentals create as much if not more impact than the songs with vocals. What I mean by that is, vocals and lyrics often create memorable hooks in music (perhaps for people who don't play music?), whether it's a chorus, lyrical themes/topics or vocal melodies that can be recalled and retained by the listener. There is a lot of instrumental music out there, whether it's prog, prog fusion, space rock, post rock or whatever, that just seems so incredibly repetitive and same-ish. Djent, anyone? Good lord, there are so many Djent "bands" creating that same sound and it's really quite tedious to listen to. By contrast, I have found Indukti's instrumental-only music to be quite unique and each track has its own identity with Ninth Wave being the standout for me. It evokes visuals, memories and moods/feelings which change throughout its 11-odd minutes. I have never tired of hearing it!

I'm still crapping on about this band and haven't bothered contributing to other comments in this thread. I'll get there...eventually. :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #2,292 of 4,470
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have some more obscure prog metal recommendations?

Yes. Stylistic variations are a given since your OP mentioned everything from prog rock to tech/death metal. Sorry about the mini-wall of text -

Abydos, Adagio, After Forever, Agalloch, Aghora, Alarum, Alchemist, Andromeda, Arcturus, Ark, Atheist, Atrox, Beyond Twilight, Blind Guardian, Bubblemath, California Guitar Trio, Conception, Cynic, Devin Townsend, Dreamscape, Dysrhythmia, Elegy, Enslaved, Estradasphere, Evergrey, Explorer's Club, Farmakon, Frameshift, Frantic Bleep, Freak Kitchen, Green Carnation, Gordian Knot, IQ, Isis, Jon Finn Group, Katatonia, Koenjihyakkei, Kong, Liquid Tension Experiment, Madder Mortem, Magnitude Nine, Mar de Grises, Marillion, maudlin of the Well, Naamah, Novembre, Orphaned Land, Ozric Tentacles, Pagan's Mind, Pantommind, Planet X, Portal, Ram-Zet, Redemption, Sleeping People (awesome), Spastic Ink, Spiral Architect, Subterranean Masquerade, Textures, The Flower Kings, The Tangent, Tiamat, Time of Orchids, Ulver, Upsilon Acrux, Vanden Plas, Voivod...

I didn't include much of the more extreme left-field type stuff that I own, since I'm not sure exactly what your tolerances are.

edit: As for OSI - The ST is good. Skip their second.

I consider myself well-versed in the prog metal space but I looked through this list and haven't heard of half of them! :grinning: Maybe that's because it's a post from 2006... :rolling_eyes::thinking::upside_down:

Anyway, I noticed that your avatar is of Fredrik Thordendal's solo album, "Sol Niger Within" but you didn't mention Meshuggah in your list. Are they outside of your prog metal parameters? No judgement. Just curious.

BTW, I've tried a number of the bands and they haven't clicked for one reason or another. It's probably a lot like gear - you keep trying different devices to find ones that resonate with you.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #2,293 of 4,470
Some of these bands/artists are interested in doing multi-channel and hi-res recordings, which is really cool. For instance, Katatonia's "The Fall of Hearts" sounds pretty incredible in HR - it just seems to uncover so much more detail and it was quite revealing listening to it after being quite familiar with the album in standard format.

Steven Wilson's interest in the sound quality of recordings is well known and various Porcupine Tree and SW solo albums are worth checking out for their gorgeous sonic detail - Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Fear of a Blank Planet, Hand Cannot Erase, to name but a few.

Spock's Beard's "Snow" record sounds incredible despite not being available in HR. The Flower Kings is one band that would probably benefit from a multi-channel or HR recording or two, given how much is going on in many of their albums. All kinds of instrumentation seems to be scattered throughout the tracks, some of which is superfluous, but it can make for an interesting experience. Personally, I've become a lot less interested in their music over the last few albums. But in the late 90s, they were fantastic and their live sound was incredible. Their live album "Alive on Planet Earth" was my first foray into their music and I think it misrepresented them in many ways. They sounded a little heavier and darker than their studio albums and I actually enjoyed the sound more. I find they tend to noodle around aimlessly with too many filler tracks these days too, with far too many happy sounds. I'm definitely in agreement with Steven Wilson that the saddest music is often the most beautiful. Happy music just seems to agitate me (which is, ironically, why I dislike much of his last album). Maybe that's another topic all of its own. :relaxed:

Lastly, Devin Townsend will be releasing a multi-channel version of the stunning "Empath" record later this year (or early next year). I'm very keen to hear that, even if I don't currently have the setup for it. One day I'll get to experience it, I'm sure.

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #2,294 of 4,470

I love Gavin Harrison's drumming and really wanted to enjoy this but the combination of three drummers just made it a bit of a mess. I've never really connected with King Crimson's music but this wasn't particularly enjoyable. I think back to when Floyd was using Nick Mason and a second drummer/percussionist on tour - there were times when it too sounded a little messy. I'm also recalling the gimmick that Dream Theater utilised a number of years back, when Portnoy was in the band and another drummer got up on stage with him to do a "drum duel" (Jason Bittner, Scott Rockenfield and Mike Mangini). It just sounded fairly pointless. When two drummers perform fills simultaneously, you don't hear the individuality of the fill and so it becomes...almost noise-like.

As a music lover who has a strong focus on drums, this is a big deal for me. Perhaps the idea of multiple drummers sounds good only in theory. But I can't recall ever being impressed by it, with the exception of one time in music class in primary school. Another student drummer brought his kit in so we had dual drummers for the class. That was a cool thing to witness - as a kid. I've grown up to become a little more discerning with my music listening now and gimmicks don't impress me so much. In saying that, I do enjoy a good drum solo. The key word is "solo". :relaxed:

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #2,295 of 4,470
I consider myself well-versed in the prog metal space but I looked through this list and haven't heard of half of them! :grinning: Maybe that's because it's a post from 2006... :rolling_eyes::thinking::upside_down:

Anyway, I noticed that your avatar is of Fredrik Thordendal's solo album, "Sol Niger Within" but you didn't mention Meshuggah in your list. Are they outside of your prog metal parameters? No judgement. Just curious.

BTW, I've tried a number of the bands and they haven't clicked for one reason or another. It's probably a lot like gear - you keep trying different devices to find ones that resonate with you.
Definitely check out IQ last album The Road of bones (2CD)... IMHO blows away many current "classic" prog-rock bands like Dream Theater (last album is crap imo). To me that album reminds somewhat old Dream Theater Awake album (which is great imho).
Anyway, try it out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back