Professional vs Home: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #286 of 381
Honestly I've had the T1.2, two different ones, one was too bright, but I also had a T1.2 Black and honeslty wasn't bright at all, darker than the Amiron with a forward midrange like the HD 600/650. Between the Amiron and T1.2 Black I had, I would say the T1.2 Black was slightly better but also a bit more system dependent due to it's impedance and it's ability to scale a bit more than the Amiron.
Woo finally got to see u man after a long time...I was actually trying to figure out the $700 T1 gen2 black edition and the normal grey one... somewhere I thought I read about both being slightly different but thanks to u that u have tried both so I can get to know ur impressions...can u compare the black edition vs the grey...been a long time since u've made a fabulous comparison which pushed me to get the amiron home.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #287 of 381
Woo finally got to see u man after a long time...I was actually trying to figure out the $700 T1 gen2 black edition and the normal grey one... somewhere I thought I read about both being slightly different but thanks to u that u have tried both so I can get to know ur impressions...can u compare the black edition vs the grey...been a long time since u've made a fabulous comparison which pushed me to get the amiron home.

Sadly don't have either on hand. Nor did I have them at the same time, but I did use them on the same main system. So I can't say if it's due to different batches, they tweaked the T1.2 at one point like they did with the T1.1, or if the Black sounds different. But there was a definite difference between the two. Yeah, I haven't done a comparison in a while. Currently just have three main headphones, the Amiron Home, Nighthawk Carbon(got it for cheap), and a modified DT 480.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #288 of 381
Sadly don't have either on hand. Nor did I have them at the same time, but I did use them on the same main system. So I can't say if it's due to different batches, they tweaked the T1.2 at one point like they did with the T1.1, or if the Black sounds different. But there was a definite difference between the two. Yeah, I haven't done a comparison in a while. Currently just have three main headphones, the Amiron Home, Nighthawk Carbon(got it for cheap), and a modified DT 480.
damn anyways do u remember how badly u used to love the dt 1990's but then the sly amiron got all over u...i have a chance to get t1 gen1 for $375 used and since im getting the c2 amp would it be worth ?? is the sounstage of t1 significantly bigger than amiron home ???

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #289 of 381
dt 48 is a beast bt very few ppl will understand it

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #290 of 381
damn anyways do u remember how badly u used to love the dt 1990's but then the sly amiron got all over u...i have a chance to get t1 gen1 for $375 used and since im getting the c2 amp would it be worth ?? is the sounstage of t1 significantly bigger than amiron home ???

Yeah, don’t quite like the DT 1990 as much anymore. I haven’t heard the T1.1 in a very long time. Honestly can’t say, never had the chance to directly compare the T1.1 to the Amiron or even the T1.2. Haven’t heard the C2 amp. The early T1.2 had a bigger soundstage(or the perception of due to brightness) by a decent margin and much sharper imaging, while the newer T1.2 Black was only slightly bigger and more precise imaging and had more actual substance(tighter more real impact relative to the frequency curve) to its sound than the Amiron. Didn’t ever compare the older T1.2 to the Amiron.

dt 48 is a beast bt very few ppl will understand it

It is, after modifying my DT 480 I do not hesitate to call it my best headphone I’ve ever owned but even before it was obvious with some extended listening to drivers are amazing in a way I haven’t experienced before. The potential just seems endless and it’s so free of distortion(it makes just about anything sound distorted in comparison), it’s imaging is so good. Everything is so solid, substantial, and full sounding in ways I don’t get with other headphones, makes the HD 600/650 sound thin and lacking any real body. Once you get a feel of it and understand it, you come to realize how almost everything else sounds wrong in comparison. Fix the lack of bass presence, some of the resonance, and smooth out the FR response with modding, and it’s a real treat. My modified DT 480 would be my main headphone if I didn't wear glasses as it’s very seal dependent and glasses hurt the comfort some(I do a lot of gaming), because sound wise it’s almost a constant wow factor and it sounds amazing on all genres including electronic/bassy ones, bass is unique/different in a way that can be hard to explain(very track dependent too) but just seems right. I can actually handle the weight.

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #291 of 381
Yeah, don’t quite like the DT 1990 as much anymore. I haven’t heard the T1.1 in a very long time. Honestly can’t say, never had the chance to directly compare the T1.1 to the Amiron or even the T1.2. Haven’t heard the C2 amp. The early T1.2 had a bigger soundstage(or the perception of due to brightness) by a decent margin and much sharper imaging, while the newer T1.2 Black was only slightly bigger and more precise imaging and had more actual substance(tighter more real impact relative to the frequency curve) to its sound than the Amiron. Didn’t ever compare the older T1.2 to the Amiron.

i saw u mention in another thread that t1.2 is more darker than the amiron then y did end up selling it ??? seems to me that t1.2 black edition is a 600ohm amiron home bt y did u sell it??

It is, after modifying my DT 480 I do not hesitate to call it my best headphone I’ve ever owned but even before it was obvious with some extended listening to drivers are amazing in a way I haven’t experienced before. The potential just seems endless and it’s so free of distortion(it makes just about anything sound distorted in comparison), it’s imaging is so good. Everything is so solid, substantial, and full sounding in ways I don’t get with other headphones, makes the HD 600/650 sound thin and lacking any real body. Once you get a feel of it and understand it, you come to realize how almost everything else sounds wrong in comparison. Fix the lack of bass presence, some of the resonance, and smooth out the FR response with modding, and it’s a real treat. My modified DT 480 would be my main headphone if I didn't wear glasses as it’s very seal dependent and glasses hurt the comfort some(I do a lot of gaming), because sound wise it’s almost a constant wow factor and it sounds amazing on all genres including electronic/bassy ones, bass is unique/different in a way that can be hard to explain(very track dependent too) but just seems right. I can actually handle the weight.
do u have only one dt 48?? its really incredible how good the dt48 is...i heard that the dia[hram material is quite different which makes an incredible impulse response and no distortion..my friend got 3-4 editions, dt48a, e,...many more cant remember...

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #292 of 381
do u have only one dt 48?? its really incredible how good the dt48 is...i heard that the dia[hram material is quite different which makes an incredible impulse response and no distortion..my friend got 3-4 editions, dt48a, e,...many more cant remember...

The magnet design and it's diaphragm is different on the DT 48/480 from other headphones, it's not a normal dynamic headphone, I would argue it's in it's own category it's so different. I have 2, not the DT 48 but the DT 480's, the DT 48's sibling headphone, same basic driver but different housing and implementation, it uses the DT 100/150 housing. I have a 25 Ohm and a 200 Ohm. The DT 480 is more suited for modding and is more comfortable, it's rarer than the DT 48 though. Once you hear zero distortion of the DT 48/480, you hear it on basically everything else. The transparency is a different level. I can hear the distortion of the Amiron Home and the T1.2 and basically everything else. It's not necessarily subtle either. I don't like listening to the headphones close to together, I feel a bit disappointed with my other headphones. I use the Amiron Home and Nighthawk Carbons mainly for long term use and on the computer due to comfort and I need to be able to hear my environment around me usually. The DT 480 is more for in-bed listening and pure music listening when I want to see how things sound on them and get all the extra details and insights I won't get on the other headphones. The Amiron Home took over the HD 650's role for me, while I always liked the HD 650, it's always been a little too mellow for my tastes to sound ideal on all genres(I have eclectic taste in music), to me I find the Amiron's higher fidelity and better ability to handle all genres replaces the HD 6xx family for me. The Nighthawk(I only really like them with the microsuedes to be honest, other pads are meh to me) has overall lower distortion than the Amiron Home and a unique sound signature, so it has it's place, it's my most comfortable headphone. I may do a Amiron Home and Nighthawk Carbon comparison after some system changes in the future and I do have some other headphones planned in the future, but not in a hurry as I'm quite happy with what I have.

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #293 of 381
The magnet design and it's diaphragm is different on the DT 48/480 from other headphones, it's not a normal dynamic headphone, I would argue it's in it's own category it's so different. I have 2, not the DT 48 but the DT 480's, the DT 48's sibling headphone, same basic driver but different housing and implementation, it uses the DT 100/150 housing. I have a 25 Ohm and a 200 Ohm. The DT 480 is more suited for modding and is more comfortable, it's rarer than the DT 48 though. Once you hear zero distortion of the DT 48/480, you hear it on basically everything else. The transparency is a different level. I can hear the distortion of the Amiron Home and the T1.2 and basically everything else. It's not necessarily subtle either. I don't like listening to the headphones close to together, I feel a bit disappointed with my other headphones. I use the Amiron Home and Nighthawk Carbons mainly for long term use and on the computer due to comfort and I need to be able to hear my environment around me usually. The DT 480 is more for in-bed listening and pure music listening when I want to see how things sound on them and get all the extra details and insights I won't get on the other headphones. The Amiron Home took over the HD 650's role for me, while I always liked the HD 650, it's always been a little too mellow for my tastes to sound ideal on all genres(I have eclectic taste in music), to me I find the Amiron's higher fidelity and better ability to handle all genres replaces the HD 6xx family for me. The Nighthawk(I only really like them with the microsuedes to be honest, other pads are meh to me) has overall lower distortion than the Amiron Home and a unique sound signature, so it has it's place, it's my most comfortable headphone. I may do a Amiron Home and Nighthawk Carbon comparison after some system changes in the future and I do have some other headphones planned in the future, but not in a hurry as I'm quite happy with what I have.
Wow...I'm really tempted but I guess I'll never be able to try one....do u know mrtechagent...he has a YouTube channel too...he's so lucky to have 3-4 dt 48 edition s... sadly I won't be able to hear one...HD 600 is known for quality mid-range but if Beyer's dt 48 is better than them...y release other models... bring the vintage dt series back....lol I Kno w it's never gonna happen but beyer's previous models where better than new gen or upcoming headphones... unbelievable

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #294 of 381
Hey man I just got a reply from a guy on massdrop's amiron home discussion page who owns both period and told me that he compared both side by side and found out that amiron actually has slightly bigger soundstage than Beyer t1 gen2 black edition but t1 has pinpoint imaging so there is no point for me to get it anymore...the new gen Tesla 2.0 dt 1990 and Amiron are truly hidden gems...ppl are selling their t1 for either 1990 or Amiron which is high praise...just waiting for my amp to arrive...bt one issue I have with Amiron though ...it's slightly heavy than my HD 6xx which extremely light and I can wear them all they long...Amiron is also light but after sometime the weight bothers me so I have to take break between sessions...

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #295 of 381
I am surprised you find the Amiron too heavy. It is one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever had. I can use it for hours. You are going to be very happy with that amp. It is an excellent piece of gear. Soundstage on that amp is fantastic. It has a slightly holographic character to its presentation. It has perfect synergy with the Amiron, and will show you things you have been missing with your headphones using the darkvoice. Let me know how you like it when you get it. When are you expecting it to be delivered ?

Jul 20, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #296 of 381
I am surprised you find the Amiron too heavy. It is one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever had. I can use it for hours. You are going to be very happy with that amp. It is an excellent piece of gear. Soundstage on that amp is fantastic. It has a slightly holographic character to its presentation. It has perfect synergy with the Amiron, and will show you things you have been missing with your headphones using the darkvoice. Let me know how you like it when you get it. When are you expecting it to be delivered ?
nooo man dont get me wrong...my amirons are my wife lol...my grades have been affected severly due to listening to it but still it was worth it ....all my albums replayed again....i had a slight feeling of fatique may be after 3hrs of constant listening....or maybe that was an illusion...u just have the freedom of moving your neck crazily when using 600/6xx due to tighter fit thats it nothing else...i dont do that head banging stuff while listening to metal which some ppl do...and i've been looking foroward to the amp bcoz amiron didnt pair properly with the dv336 maybe bcoz of the stock tubes im using right now, it sounds way too bassy so i really wanted to get a proper amp but was scared incase i end up buying an amp which has poor synergy but thanks to u for providing me with the right knowledge and best suggestion i could ever get coz amiron is my end game hp, never listened to any other high end hps....amiron's soundstage was so impressive to me actually that it pushed me over to try the t1 as i was expecting it to be nearly a wide as the hd800( unnaturally wide) but i was wrong. it takes 45-60 days fro an item to be processed through indian customs...btw its not shipped yet

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #297 of 381
Hey man audio gd wants me to pay $400 + $150 separately...$100 extra for what?? They have not clearly mentioned...it's out of my budget though...I had like $350-370

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #298 of 381
Hey man audio gd wants me to pay $400 + $150 separately...$100 extra for what?? They have not clearly mentioned...it's out of my budget though...I had like $350-370

I'll seel you my modded DT 1770 for $350 shipped you're interested. PM if so

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #299 of 381
Your C-2 should cost 450 US, plus shipping cost. Not sure where you are getting 400 from. Are you in Canada? I am, and I had to pay duty on top of the shipping cost, which sucked. Your bill should have a breakdown of all the charges and what they are for.

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #300 of 381
Before shipping, as well as possible duty charges, depending upon where you live, the C-2 costs 450 US. The NFB1 costs 485 US. If your budget is 350-370, you don't have enough money to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back