Products that last forever
Dec 28, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #136 of 171

Quote:
I understand that, but with metals like damascus and steel the metals dont corrode horribly if stored properly. The gold, etc; i prefer to look 400 years old, and not brand new, as its not, its 400 years old. Here are 80-100 year old fountain pens, showing oxidation to the silver, and gold.

Damascus is not a metal, steel corrodes no matter what, but with proper care it will corrode more slowly. Gold does not corrode.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #137 of 171
Recently dug up an old Nikon that was bought in the 1980s, still works! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #138 of 171

Quote:
I understand that, but with metals like Damascus and steel the metals dont corrode horribly if stored properly. The gold, etc; i prefer to look 400 years old, and not brand new, as its not, its 400 years old. Here are 80-100 year old fountain pens, showing oxidation to the silver, and gold.

Cifani, the technique for creating Damascus steel has been lost for a very long time now, I doubt the sword is made of Damascus steel. Damascus steel is tough and resilient and able to be honed to a very sharp edge. that says nothing about the resistance to corrosion. For example, my scalpel blades can be sharpened to a very sharp point (slice it across your skin and you won't feel it until the next day.) but it still corrodes very quickly. every metal is susceptible to corrosion even in a relatively dry environment. 

also, regarding you fountain pens, I have a pelikan m730 and I use it daily so the silver is still as bright as the day I got it. It makes me think you haven't been using those pens very often (not rotating your daily users i suspect) and honestly, take a jewelry cloth to them if you're not going to use them. It won't harm the trim because most of the exposed/damaged areas of trim on vintage fountain pens occured because they used to just polish the whole thing with course buffing pads quickly exposing the trim. yeah, im a fountain pen noob

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #140 of 171

Quote:
the technique for creating Damascus steel has been lost for a very long time now,

Technically True - it was popular from 300-1700. Many modern makers are creating steel that is patterned like and using techniques we think must have been used to create damascus steel, and historical examples abound from many periods. A 400 year old sword, would fall in the period of use.

Quote:
 I doubt the sword is made of Damascus steel. 

Technically true - since damascus steel was a specific process originating or at least made famous in (surprise) Damascus. It could well be a traditional differentially tempered folded steel, however. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #141 of 171
Quote:
Damascus is not a metal, steel corrodes no matter what, but with proper care it will corrode more slowly. Gold does not corrode....

Forged layers of steel... technically the same thing.

Quote:

Cifani, the technique for creating Damascus steel has been lost for a very long time now, I doubt the sword is made of Damascus steel. Damascus steel is tough and resilient and able to be honed to a very sharp edge. that says nothing about the resistance to corrosion. For example, my scalpel blades can be sharpened to a very sharp point (slice it across your skin and you won't feel it until the next day.) but it still corrodes very quickly. every metal is susceptible to corrosion even in a relatively dry environment. 

also, regarding you fountain pens, I have a pelikan m730 and I use it daily so the silver is still as bright as the day I got it. It makes me think you haven't been using those pens very often (not rotating your daily users i suspect) and honestly, take a jewelry cloth to them if you're not going to use them. It won't harm the trim because most of the exposed/damaged areas of trim on vintage fountain pens occured because they used to just polish the whole thing with course buffing pads quickly exposing the trim. yeah, im a fountain pen noob

As stated below, not 100% true, but i understand where you are coming from. Thanks for bringing the Pelikan M730 to my attention. I have a M200 and a Mont Blanc 242 with a wet, juicy nib and i want a Montblanc 146 Solitaire in silver. I might have to add the M730 to my list now
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
you know, clean blood, fingerprints and stuff

Hahaha, a man's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Quote:
Technically True - it was popular from 300-1700. Many modern makers are creating steel that is patterned like and using techniques we think must have been used to create damascus steel, and historical examples abound from many periods. A 400 year old sword, would fall in the period of use.

Technically true - since damascus steel was a specific process originating or at least made famous in (surprise) Damascus. It could well be a traditional differentially tempered folded steel, however. 

Agree with statement as it is still beautifully made today. Just maybe not as beautiful
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #143 of 171
Dec 28, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #144 of 171
Dec 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #145 of 171

Quote:
Crayonhead has many enemies, but not as many enemies as he had last week.

Actually, Many more.  Fingerprints and blood are a pain to clean off swords without leaving traces.

And.. It was deemed "usable" when we took it to a Japanese swordmaker the day I cleaned it. Although I might have to keep it in it's case once it gets passed down to me. He said "Without an extensive overhaul of the sword, I cannot guarantee it will last another 100 years. However, with the care with this sword has been preserved is remarkable in itself." 

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #147 of 171

Quote:
Actually, Many more.  Fingerprints and blood are a pain to clean off swords without leaving traces.

Are you by any chance a 6-fingered man?

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #148 of 171
Dec 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #149 of 171

This thread is funny because, as someone mentioned earlier, we're basically compiling a list of things that on the whole are quite trivial; but they will probably function for far longer than us mere mortals many times over.  It's a bit of a sobering thought. 
redface.gif

Mag-Lite: Assuming you can find replacement bulbs and as long as things like 'D' batteries remain relevant, you should be able to pass this along to your grandchildren's children.  The seals would require eventual replacement; so if this goes for more than a couple of hundred years, it might eventually lose it's water resistance.  This assumes household use, so I'm thinking the switch should last.

Stemware: They haven't really improved upon their design for a while.  Wine has been and probably will be around for a long time.  As long as the flavors, varietals, and our mouths remain the same, these should be fine.  Just don't break them.

Firearms: Assuming they aren't used for military or law enforcement service, these should last a long time as long as they are stored reasonably well.  Ammunition stored with similar care should outlast you.  But you could keep a reloading rig alongside just in case.  I'm sure gunpowder will be available.

Books: Again, assuming reasonable storage conditions and assuming these are things that will only be read a few times (this would exclude reference manuals, etc.), you could pass these on.

BA IEMs: I'm not sure if I missed it or if it was intentionally left out- but how about BA IEMs?  I'm sure there must be a thread somewhere discussing the longevity of these.  And I'm referring to the MTBF of the armature itself, as I'm assuming that with reasonable care and cleaning, aside from perhaps a frayed or cracked cable the rest of the unit should last at least to the next generation?  For this, I would assume a scenario of listening a few days a week for a few years and then maybe every once in a while.  I would also assume that there would be some compatible device still left to plug into.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #150 of 171

Quote:

Books: Again, assuming reasonable storage conditions and assuming these are things that will only be read a few times (this would exclude reference manuals, etc.), you could pass these on.

I'm not sure about that one.  Paper and various bindings are very tricky to preserve properly over the long haul.  Plus their place in the digital world is increasingly being put to the test.  We've got some nice vintage book collections, I'm scared to death to even  do anything w/ them.  A lot of the subject material I read begs for constant revisits over a lifetime.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back