Products that last forever
Dec 11, 2011 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 171

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
I came across an article on planned obsolescence today.  It got me to thinking abou products that don't adhere to that business philosophy.  What products do you own that will never go bad or are designed to last for a very long time?

One that I have is a Swing-Away can opener.  Excellent product and I don't see ever having to buy another.

My Emerson fans are like that, too.  The single-bearing hollow shaft motors are indestructible and work even if they've been left outside for 20 years.

I have some old rotary telephones that seemingly can't be destroyed, like my Estwing hammer.  Or my professional Calphalon cookware (without nonstick coating).

What do you own that seems to be designed to last forever?  It can be anything, from a great car to a cast iron skillet.  I'd like to know what you have that holds up for a very long time without repairs and isn't designed to replaced every few years.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 171
Good kitchen knives, if you are careful about them you'll end up giving them to your children even if you bought them in your twenties.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 171
Interesting thread - I've always wondered about the same thing. 

Some of the physical stuff that "lasts forever"

- Classic Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
- Framed non-oil paintings and oil paintings
- Musical instruments

I've got a really old SLR camera and it still works well. It's an electronic device though so I don't think it's going to last forever.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 171

Quote:

I have some old rotary telephones that seemingly can't be destroyed, like my Estwing hammer. 

I've broken two Estwing hammers--they snap about a hand-and-a-halfs width above the bottom under the rubber grip. But I'm a virtual animal with a hammer, having won local hammer swinging Union competitions, so ymmv.

My 20oz sandpaper face Daluge California Framer is going on 20 yr, and is still on its 3rd (ash) handle.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 171
I still have the same Mason and Hamlin grand in my house that my grandmother bought in 1908, and besides for bi-monthly tuning it sounds better than it ever has.  

Sometimes I wonder if planned obsolescence actually appeals to people because thinking about a product lasting "forever" makes them confront their own mortality.  Its nice with say wedding rings, where you think "oh, my great grandson can give his fiancee this ring long after my wife and I are gone," and have a legacy that outlives you, but with something like a can opener its just depressing.  

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 171
I've been using the same laptop bag for four years and it doesn't seem to be dying any time soon. The laptop itself I already got rid of, after the battery life decided to halve in less than a year. I've just been using it to carry books and things now.

It's Solo brand and I bought it for $25 at Staples.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 171
My 1991 Nissan Prairie (MPV) has over 250,000 miles on the clock and is still going strong. How many automobiles bought today will still be motoring after 20 years? Not many I'll wager.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 171
Most people make jokes when they see this. I learned the basics of spearfishing at 4-5 yo, with this hinge gun. Its a hand me down from my cousins, and is about 60+ yo. The rubber is 50+ yo. Come summer My nephews with use this before I let them graduate to hawaiian slings.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 171
I have a belt with diamond shaped cuttings traveling down its length. Looks like its made of rough dry leather. I've had it since i was in second grade elementary school in the early 1970s. It seems to just expand with my waistline as i wear it every day still. Definitely comforting to have something that has lasted all my life thus far. Its like carrying my memories in physical form, something i can go back into the past at any time with.

I also have a small stainless steel coffee pot thats been in the family since 1981 that was given to me by my Mother when i moved out on my own.  

Old game cds. I still have my original Elder Scrolls Daggerfall cd from when it first came out in 1995 in mint condition aswell as many others like Quake and Heavy Gear II. Too bad cd-r's which are supposed to be used for storage and last a hundred years are starting to fail on me. Looks like the formula batch in 2006 wasnt as good as the earlier cd--r's. Thank goodness for all the new ways of storing files.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 171
My Fossil Wallet which I carry around every day still looks almost new to my eye. I got it for a birthday about 10 years ago and haven't given a thought to replacing it. Even the embossed lettering on the front of the thing is still clear as day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back