Problem with ears itching & tri-flange tips.
Oct 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hente

100+ Head-Fier
Hiya, i'm using the Thinksound TS02s with the tri-flange tips that came with my MEElectronics M6.
As soon as I put these things in my ears they start to itch like crazy. I can stand it for around 10 - 20 mins before I go and scratch them, I look like an idiot whenever I do this and it feels so unhygienic too. This was also a problem when I was using my M6s so it can't be the IEMs themselves.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 4
I have this problem with almost any and every universal IEM out there.  It's a pain in the ass because it makes using IEMs and enjoying the benefits of them almost impossible.  Along with the itching, wearing the IEMs for long periods of time seems to cause my ears to go into overdrive creating wax which then becomes it's own problem.  I'm thinking that I just have over-sensitive ears and that when they sense the canal is blocked they start to create the wax as a protective mechanism which is what that itching is.  Again, this is just my hypothesis.

I have had better luck with custom molded ear plugs and can wear them longer, although my ears will still begin to itch after a couple hours use and the wax will build up.  Because of this I am comtemplating getting custom molded IEMs from 1964 EARS.  This is a gamble because if they also bother me like regular IEMs they are harder to resell.  I'm still on the fence.  I would be interesting to hear from others out there who have this problem with the ear itch thing.

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Hiya, i'm using the Thinksound TS02s with the tri-flange tips that came with my MEElectronics M6.
As soon as I put these things in my ears they start to itch like crazy. I can stand it for around 10 - 20 mins before I go and scratch them, I look like an idiot whenever I do this and it feels so unhygienic too. This was also a problem when I was using my M6s so it can't be the IEMs themselves.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Triple flange tips are well known for making ears itch, i had the same problem using them so i got some earportz tips ,otherwise known as sensercom tips,i believe which have a similar insertion depth and are made from medical grade silicon so do not itch ,(for me anyway)

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Your best bet would be to try some tips, which are made from different material. Perhaps you can try looking at some of the Comply foam. Those tend to be more comfortable than some other tips. I used to use the tri flange tips that comes with the Etymotic HF5, and it made my ears itchy after about half an hour to one hour of continuous usage.

If you do not mind spending a bit more, you can get some custom earmold. Etymotic, Westone and some other companies make them. I have a pair of vinyl tips from Westone, fits pretty well and does not give me itchy ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back