Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Nov 10, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #647 of 777
Thanks, I will look that one up :)

Nov 14, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #650 of 777
I bought a cheap audio interface to replace the one I set fire to. For the next DACs I'll probably buy the RME and later the Mytek since I want another MQA DAC. I just can't afford the Mytek right now. Thanks guys.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #651 of 777
One should wait and see what the Topping d90 has to offer and at what price. (new AKM 4499 chip)
Too bad that the Topping D90 has not been officially presented so it will take a good time to get hold of one of them, and wait for future revisions ... Although it will come out this year and there is little left to finish 2019 ... It looks promising ... It could be my future purchase to combine it with the SMSL SP200..I don't want to continue derailing the thread

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #652 of 777
I read all of the postings here and there is lot good info. I bought this to play DSD files primarily.

1. I am trying to download the latest firmware version which is in a Bin file. I downloaded PowerISO which stated it would open Bin files. (Why is this so difficult?) I am getting the following message. Is there another program that will work?
2. I read that you need to install a file on a CD to play DSD files. I don't believe I received one. Will the upgraded firmware allow DSD playback?
3. I just read in the google docs write-up that you could send this back if you have the "incorrect" pink capacitors. I will open it up to see. I purchased it in June 2017 so it may have it, Has anyone sent it back? I bought it from Audio Advisor. - Thank you.

upload_2019-11-17_14-52-16.png

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #653 of 777
I read all of the postings here and there is lot good info. I bought this to play DSD files primarily.

1. I am trying to download the latest firmware version which is in a Bin file. I downloaded PowerISO which stated it would open Bin files. (Why is this so difficult?) I am getting the following message. Is there another program that will work?
2. I read that you need to install a file on a CD to play DSD files. I don't believe I received one. Will the upgraded firmware allow DSD playback?
3. I just read in the google docs write-up that you could send this back if you have the "incorrect" pink capacitors. I will open it up to see. I purchased it in June 2017 so it may have it, Has anyone sent it back? I bought it from Audio Advisor. - Thank you.

[image]

This DAC has always been able to play DSD files. You do not need the firmware update, but you must install the Pro-Ject driver for Windows.

The driver has its own installer. The firmware update also requires Pro-Ject updater software (Win or Mac). There is no reason to open the .bin file with other software.

You do not need a CD to play music. You also do not need the driver CD that the product used to come with, because you can download the latest driver from the Pro-Ject website.

If you have the pink capacitors then Audio Advisor should exchange it, because even though you bought it two years ago you should be able to argue the unit is defective based on the designer's own posts on another forum.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #654 of 777
Thank you. I did download the utility which I thought was the way to do it but I didn't open the firmware correctly. I just did. I like your picture! I am having trouble unscrewing it and I don't want to strip the threads. It is screwed in very tightly. When I do open it, I will post what capacitors it has.

You may be wondering why I waited two and half years to ask about DSD. I have Roon software and I have been waiting for years for Roon to write their software to automatically play ISO files similar to JRiver. They will not do so. I do not like the JRiver program so I am now converting ISO files to 256 DSF. It will take months to do this.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #655 of 777
You could use foobar. It will recognize any DAC drivers you have installed and it will play just about anything. I have played all rates of DSD and ISO files no problem over several DACs. I don't have the Pro Ject but foobar should work with it like anything else.

One of the main reasons I didn't buy roon was because they refuse to support ISO and I have a few hundred SACD rips. So use foobar and don't waste time converting anything.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #657 of 777
You could use foobar. It will recognize any DAC drivers you have installed and it will play just about anything. I have played all rates of DSD and ISO files no problem over several DACs. I don't have the Pro Ject but foobar should work with it like anything else.

One of the main reasons I didn't buy roon was because they refuse to support ISO and I have a few hundred SACD rips. So use foobar and don't waste time converting anything.
I tried foobar a long time ago and I didn't like the interface. I have had Roon since the week it came out and I have a lifetime subscription

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #659 of 777
Check settings in the control panel. (Open the control panel from the sys tray.)

I don't know what to check. I read in one review that this did play native DSD. It is converting everything to PCM 352.8. In the DSD playback strategy I have "Native."

I than changed DSP to WASAPI and it is not converting it and 256 is showing on the display. Success. Thank you.
A very substantial improvement in the sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #660 of 777
@Left Channel My kids got me an S2D for Christmas and I love this little DAC. My question is about MQB. I've searched everywhere and your Google Docs reference document keeps popping up everywhere. It states that a purple dot with MQB is a software first unfold but NO 2nd unfold. I then found one post buried that states that this is NOT true. It states that the Purple MQB is in fact the S2D doing the 2nd unfold correctly. This leads me to believe that this would be the preferred method when using Roon for the 1st unfold and allowing the S2D to do the 2nd unfold thus giving us a completely restored file.

Am I correct in these assumptions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back