Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Jul 2, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #586 of 777
It heavily depends on the signal chain in the front of your coax input (which does support up to 24/192 sampling rates) so possibly would have used ProJects MQA decoding abilities if first unfold has already been made through Roon or Tidal/various OS.

Only the USB signal is processed by the MQA decoder in XMOS. Coax and optical signals take another route. The designer of the DAC has posted this information elsewhere (pinkfishmedia.net). If software decoding is done upstream, that 1x "unfolded" signal is passed through coax or optical with no further decoding (or filter limitations), but if the signal comes in via USB then "MQB" decoding would occur.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #587 of 777
Well, then, that’s it. Thanks for the info!
I’ve spent some time around there on pfm but failed to notice that. Probably because I wasn’t interested enough since I’ve used to run my microrendu system the only possible way - through usb input.
I’ve basically never listened to ProJect S2 Digital through any of its inputs but USB.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #589 of 777
Has anyone compared the S2 to the new Dragonfly Cobalt? They use the same sabre chip. I expect the Cobalt to work better as a headphone amp, but I'm curious how they compare when used with speakers.
It hope the Cobalt works better as a headphone amp, since that’s what it is intended to be. I sent the S2 back because its headphone amp was sub-par. I wanted to use it with headphones.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #590 of 777
Has anyone compared the S2 to the new Dragonfly Cobalt? They use the same sabre chip. I expect the Cobalt to work better as a headphone amp, but I'm curious how they compare when used with speakers.
It hope the Cobalt works better as a headphone amp, since that’s what it is intended to be. I sent the S2 back because its headphone amp was sub-par. I wanted to use it with headphones.

For me, the S2 is the better choice as I use both the optical and coax inputs as well as the USB input. Also, the current drain on my phone is excessive when using devices such as the Cobalt. While this is not a consideration when used with a computer, I mostly use my S2 with my portable devices.

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #592 of 777
Without specifics, I wouldn't allow them to touch my S2.

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #593 of 777

No real explanation of what this is.

Apparently it previously involved "modifying equipment by replacing capacitors..." But now, the "new proprietary modification is simpler yet more thorough at the same time", and "improves the functioning and efficiency of all the capacitors and other electronic components of the modified unit". Exactly how, we don't know.

Perhaps it involves snake oil?

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #597 of 777
I think that is likely the design intention. I also have a Grace M9xx DAC/Amp which is "always on" and has functioned flawless for several years now. I do, however, power my S2 from a lithium powerbank which has an on-off switch. As I had to have my S2 replaced under warranty for the usb power input jack breaking loose, I now use a short female micro usb extension pigtail which I leave plugged into the S2 permanently so as to not risk another issue with the stock receptacle.

Sep 11, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #598 of 777
As S2 does not have a power button, is it advisable to leave it on all the time?
Abrupt disconnection of power can mess with a CPU. The lack of a power button is an indication that it should be powered up at all times, IMO. OTOH, if it has software controller that can turn it off, like in my sMs-200, you may want to take advantage of that.

My Audiolab 8200CD, also designed by John Westlake, does have a power button, but has been on pretty much constantly since 2011. I only turn it off when I'm going away for a few days. My old Meitner preamp was powered up for 25 years. It is my firm opinion that power up/power down is more stressful on electronics than constant on.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #599 of 777
Thanks for the replies. I power S2 with a Bakoon Bps2 battery which has a button power. Besides, as a new user, I find it a shame that playing MQA (from a Raspberry Pi in my case) stutters all the time, adding a Jitterbug as someone mentioned earlier does not help. This never happened with my old Meridian Explorer 2. My S2 is on the latest firmware (2.12) so it seems nothing can be done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back