Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Oct 28, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #107 of 777
Sounds like the Pro-Ject DAC Box S2+ would be a better choice for you too! DAC only, no MQA.

You may be right, but I can see a use case for a small all in one box for transportability. Travel comes to mind. Often I am not overly concerned about the ultimate in ...anything, when just listening for background music's sake.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #108 of 777
@chongky the original SMSL M8 had the same DSD channel reversal bug in its initial firmware release, and in general I think the M8/M8A line falls into the same class as the S2: they are only "Wow!" products in that they punch above their weight in the sub-$500 class.

The M8A should really only be compared to the Pro-Ject DAC Box S2+, not the Project Pre Box S2 Digital, as the M8A and the S2+ do not include a preamp, headphone amp, or MQA. Regardless, I'm first to declare all these products neither high-end nor high quality, but they certainly are surprising, and I'd be interested in seeing a report comparing the M8A and the S2 or S2+. I've seen both the M8A and the S2 described as very crisp and transparent, and I'm not at all certain I'd be able to hear a difference. Yes, the S2 headphone amp is less impressive than my Magni 2U, but it is competent, and anyway as I mentioned the M8A doesn't have one at all.

For me the S2 is primarily a low-cost drop-in MQA and DSD test box, as to my ears my Schiit stack remains champion of the weight class in all other ways. I think I can now safely say that MQA is something I can live without, but I did have to try it at full unfolding before making statements about it. Sometimes it improves the music, at least temporarily, and sometimes it makes the music worse. But I'm still listening...

Points well taken. I must say I'm a stickler for specs in audio equipment, so...

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #109 of 777
Today, very often, touting specifications that really make no audible difference is nothing more than a marketing tool.
You can miss something that sounds really good just because of a few DB ...of nothing.

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #110 of 777
Today, very often, touting specifications that really make no audible difference is nothing more than a marketing tool.
You can miss something that sounds really good just because of a few DB ...of nothing.
You may be right, but as noise is cumulative across the board, providing as clean a signal as possible should be an imperative in high-end audio equipment. How low a SNR when noise remains inaudible still remains under debate. Of course though it's not the only decisive factor, and each person's mileage will vary.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #111 of 777
As promised, I did a comparison of how this box sounds with external power vs. USB power alone. I also tried the same with and without a USB REGEN.

Plugging in the external power adapter gives the largest improvement. The REGEN alone makes some improvement, with or without its own power, but I would take the power adapter's results alone if I didn't have a REGEN.

Together they bring this DAC up to a level where it compares very well with my Magni/Modi 2U stack! That leaves me wondering if upgrading the external adapter to a linear (non-switching) power supply would offer further improvement.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #112 of 777
Even with the above setup, I still prefer the sound of my Modi 2U via the Magni 2U preamp or head amp. I use the REGEN there too. The Modi won't do DSD or MQA though.

But back to the Pro-Ject, another benefit of using the external wall-wart is that the sleep/shutdown problem described below will go away. If you first sleep the PC and then turn off the surge protector (you do have your wall-warts on a power strip, right?) the Pro-Ject will turn off too.

For those of you wondering how you'd ever sleep in the same room with those bright white numbers shining in the dark, this is what you'd do.

When you put the PC to sleep, the USB icon turns red and the sample rate disappears, but the volume numbers remain.

Press in the volume knob or press the remote's Mute button, and those numbers are replaced by a red Mute icon. Much dimmer:

Or, just shut down the PC entirely. But really think there should be a menu option to sleep the entire OLED display, and any other circuits that can go dormant in that mode too.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #114 of 777
Just curious, really. Why is that. DSD over DoP gives an identical file once unpacked. Takes more processor, but the bits are the same as long as the DAC supports it.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #116 of 777
OK, but I would guess that if there is any differences to be heard it is something with specific hardware rather than a universal truth. I can't deny anything that you have heard, but the process, when done right, should be completely transparent.. It is 100% lossless and undergoes no mathematical manipulation or filtering.

I prefer native myself, but it is just that I like the KISS principle. I have yet to hear any differences. I won't let the fact that some given piece of hardware can only do DSD over DoP keep me from at least listening to it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #118 of 777
Hello and thanks for your post.
Is the S2 DSD native or only DoP.
Non native DSD is a showstopper as far as I am concerned.
Thanks
Arnaud

It's DOP (DSD over PCM) to DSD256. Edit: and native DSD512 if you can make it work. Here are links to someone doing it with Roon on Linux and Windows. Somewhere in the marketing materials I recall seeing mention of DSD1024 but may have been an error.

After good results with some free downloads from the 2L Test Bench, I purchased a couple of classic jazz albums in DSD256 from nativedsd.com and enjoyed them very much.

I have never listened to native DSD, so — unlike certain Head-Fiers who shall remain anonymous — I shall express no opinion on DOP vs native here. :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #119 of 777
I bought one of these from Germany. About $400. I’m hooked on MQA. I have a Prima Luna dialogue, pushing Martin Logan ESL and two Jl Audio 8’ Dominians. Originally I had a PS Audio Perfect Wa dac. Then I got a Meridian Explorer2 to try MQA. IMHO it sounded better to me, it had more of what I was looking for; depth, body and presence. I listen to Tidal almost exclusively. However the non MQA sounded better on the Perfect Wave. I sold the Perfect Wave and got the Prebox 2S. It’s pretty close. But now I can’t get the blue light to light up. And when I went back to the Explorer 2 it doesn’t light up. I tried Tidal on two different computers. No joy. Any idea?

I’m on this sight because I original (well not originally but eventually) I had the Perfect Wave paired with an ALO studio Six running Audeze LCD 3.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #120 of 777
Congratulations @DexS, it's an amazing little box. Your Tidal frustrations are likely caused by the Tidal software. When we swap DACs, Tidal (and many other apps) will often revert to default sound settings.

To see if I'm right in this case, click on "HiFi" or "Masters" at the lower right of the app. Make sure Quality is set to "Master" and the Sound Output is set to your current DAC. Then hover over the DAC's name until the gear icon appears, click on the gear, and select all three items in there. Close that panel, and give it a try. You'll likely have to check those settings every time you change DACs.

Separate question: do you need the firmware upgrade? To find out, on the box or on the remote press the Menu button, then press the down arrow twice. What do you see there? I have the 2.11 beta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back