Pro Coppers fragility (new pictures added)
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 56
Nope, got mine direct from Dell. And just as more data here, I have had 2-3 friends with MTPC's who did not get them from Dell sale have them fall apart.

Quote:
My first pair was also part of that batch. Slater, I think you and I bought them from the same person who took advantage of that sale.  Mine went back to Monster, and were replaced in under 2 weeks.  But unlike you, I kept my new pair.  I couldn't be happier with them.  They've fixed the problem as far as I can tell (no signs of separation at all).  My first pair separated within the first hour when changing tips.  This pair, I've tried every tip and then some.  These will be in my ears for forseeable future.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #17 of 56

Quote:
There really wasn't any need to belittle the OP, none. Very funny guy, that Kunlun.

Anyway, for the OP, this recent review sums up the MTPC pretty well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505762/monster-turbine-pro-copper-review

Perhaps for some, but we all hear differently. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470614/monster-turbine-pro-copper 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495812/a-tale-of-2-iem-s-montser-turbine-copper-1-vs-monster-turbine-copper-2-how-different-burnin-techniques-gave-me-two-unique-iem-s

That's the beauty of Head-Fi, you can find dissenting opinons, fan-boys and everything in between.  What doesn't work for you, might sound like heaven to another.  I'm not partial to any brand, I only care about what makes my music sound good to me.  I'd love to hear every IEM and headphone out there, and I'm going to try to. (I know that'll never happen unless I win the lottery) But, thanks to Head-Fi, I haven't regretted any purchase I've made since I joined.  I learned quick to take every opinion with a grain of salt, good or bad.  I say find what works best for you and get back to what it's all about.. listening to music...

beerchug.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 56

Quote:
[size=medium]

No wonder Monster offers a lifetime warranty and one-time "your fault" replacement. Guess they knew something.
[/size]

Not true.  I have not heard one peep from someone w/ Golds or MDs and they have the same warranty.  Its always the first batch and the right driver of the Coppers.  Obviously the initial runs were rushed, they didnt even put all the tips in or color code them.  Its not a design flaw since the other models and the copper left housing have no issues.  It was obviously some mistake or oversight at the factory.  Who knows what other phones that factory even makes.  If you really think going w/ something else that has a 1-2 year warranty is better go for it.  

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #21 of 56
The area where they come apart is easy to fix. I noticed when it first happened that the glue used to hold them together was not evenly applied. For now I have been taking a piece of tape and then slide the copper part onto the silver part. The part that I think is worse is where the cable meets the earphone. It will eventually tear up and slide down. I doubt they changed the design to add a new cable relief part. I think all they are doing is properly applying the glue at the factory. What steps do I need to take to get them replaced? I contacted monster support via email but they haven't responded as of yet. If the cable is the same design and material I will sell them unopened on ebay once I get them. But the idea of somebody eventually give it a try at getting them modded with a different cable altogether sounds interesting. Seems pretty easy. I looked in the back of the monitor and is just two pieces of copper wired soldered to the back of the earphone and the cable slides up and down from the strain relief. Do not put too much pressure on the strain relief or move it in any direction when you get it in your ears. If yours feel loose already it means it is starting to break.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #22 of 56

Quote:
Are first batches stil being sold?

Not unless some obscure vendor moves very little inventory.  Even so, if your batch 1 fails, Monster will replace it w/ a batch 2.  You will actually notice the problem before it ever splits.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #23 of 56

Quote:
The area where they come apart is easy to fix. I noticed when it first happened that the glue used to hold them together was not evenly applied. For now I have been taking a piece of tape and then slide the copper part onto the silver part. The part that I think is worse is where the cable meets the earphone. It will eventually tear up and slide down. I doubt they changed the design to add a new cable relief part. I think all they are doing is properly applying the glue at the factory. What steps do I need to take to get them replaced? I contacted monster support via email but they haven't responded as of yet. If the cable is the same design and material I will sell them unopened on ebay once I get them. But the idea of somebody eventually give it a try at getting them modded with a different cable altogether sounds interesting. Seems pretty easy. I looked in the back of the monitor and is just two pieces of copper wired soldered to the back of the earphone and the cable slides up and down from the strain relief. 

PM soundmatters12 here if you dont hear back.  Monster service is good but they are no Meelec.  Nobody is!

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #24 of 56

Quote:
Not true.  I have not heard one peep from someone w/ Golds or MDs and they have the same warranty.  Its always the first batch and the right driver of the Coppers.  Obviously the initial runs were rushed, they didnt even put all the tips in or color code them.  Its not a design flaw since the other models and the copper left housing have no issues.  It was obviously some mistake or oversight at the factory.  Who knows what other phones that factory even makes.  If you really think going w/ something else that has a 1-2 year warranty is better go for it.  

Well, my left driver is starting to separate. If you look in the picture there is a gap. I might go back to something where I can buy spare cables even if the warranty is not lifetime. I may end up using my lifetime warranty in less than two years anyway with this flawed ear relief cable design. 

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 56
Thats the worst Copper I have ever seen.  You didn't put them in the washer/dryer?  JK.  Do you remove your IEMs by grabbing the reliefs?  I only do this on the SM3 since I cant get them out otherwise.  I'm more worried w/ those.

How do you use your lifetime warranty in 2 years?  Do you know how it works?

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 56

Quote:
There really wasn't any need to belittle the OP, none. Very funny guy, that Kunlun.

Anyway, for the OP, this recent review sums up the MTPC pretty well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505762/monster-turbine-pro-copper-review

I'm not sure the review of someone that has fit issues is the best representation.  Many people have gone back to the Coppers after playing w/ over newer IEMs and been pleased.  Mark is great but he had fit issues w/ at least 2 other phones I recall.  I think he wasn't a fan of the EQ7 or HJE900 either.

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #27 of 56
Fair enough. I am just not sure it's only a "first batch" thing with the Coppers, and the Golds have seemed to stay together pretty well. But I still believe, having owned them, that the Coppers are decent enough, just not worth more than the Dell price. Just my view.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #28 of 56

yeah I think if you want to give the OP as complete and fair a picture as possible, you need to include the other reviews as well, in addition to possibly throwing in some reviews from other websites.  
Quote:
I'm not sure the review of someone that has fit issues is the best representation.  Many people have gone back to the Coppers after playing w/ over newer IEMs and been pleased.  Mark is great but he had fit issues w/ at least 2 other phones I recall.  I think he wasn't a fan of the EQ7 or HJE900 either.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #29 of 56
I had no fit issues with the Coppers, but I hated their looks and was ambivalent about the sound. They were a trial pair that had already been burned in.

If buying with british pound coins, they are not worth two hundred of them, thats for sure.

In my default humble opinion, of course.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #30 of 56
yeah, prices really differ by country.  

Quote:
I had no fit issues with the Coppers, but I hated their looks and was ambivalent about the sound. They were a trial pair that had already been burned in.

If buying with british pound coins, they are not worth two hundred of them, thats for sure.

In my default humble opinion, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back