Pro 900 Recommended Portable Amps
Apr 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sonic Atrocity

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently driving my Pro 900 with the PA2V2 and my source is the Clip+ (Rockboxed). I like my PA2V2. It's great and I love it's warm signature but I know that it isn't pushing my Pro 900 anywhere close to it's potential. I am not sure it matters to me if my next amp is warm or not but I am certainly looking for something analytical.

I was thinking about the Fiio E7/E9 combo but am just not too excited for that. I just feel like if I get all of that for $200 then I probably need to upgrade in order to get anywhere near the potential of my Pro 900. I'm not sure about my budget. I'd be prepared to drop $400 on a portable amp if it meant that my portable listening experience (95% of the listening I do) would be greatly improved. But at the same time I don't know if I should spend that kind of money to compliment my Pro 900. 

Another concern I have is how big a difference there will be in quality between one price point and another with portable amps. Anyhow, tell me what you think!

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 12
I agree 100%, these cans are made to measure for the Stepdance, low impedance and sensitive, with the stepdance set on low gain you will be astounded at the stella sound performance.
I have the Denon AH-D5000, also low impedance and sensitive,the stepdance has given them a totally new dimension and they were already fantastic.
I assure you that happiness and aural nirvana will follow, email Dr Jan Meier, he will respond quickly and is a genius. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 12
I own both amps, the uHA-120 is a very fine amp, highly detailed and very accurate, the Stepdance is a WORLD CLASS portable amp.
Either way you will be most happy with your purchase, Justin and Jan are great guys and masters of the craft.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 12
yeah i know I would. but do you notice any differences between the two?
I'm really contemplating between the two, I know either of them is great for my pro 900. but the question is Is there a clear winner here?

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
yeah i know I would. but do you notice any differences between the two?
I'm really contemplating between the two, I know either of them is great for my pro 900. but the question is Is there a clear winner here?

I know there is a big hype now about the uHA and a few other amps, but IMO Stepdance is a class better than this amp - at least. Read a thread about The Best Portable Amp and someone who has both gives his impressions.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Weird. I have never even heard of this thing. I always just hear about Ibasso and Pico. Is it really fitting with the Pro 900 though? Does it have a warm or cold presentation?

It is neutral and analytic. It will suit your headphones perfectly. There are a few reviews with it and the website to buy it is meier-audio.de.

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I notice that you have/selling an Ibasso D6 in your sig. Which one did you prefer? The D6 or the Stepdance?

When used with stock opamps D6 was much worse than my Stepdance. When I installed OPA1611 opamps and dummy buffers on D6 (the same ones as in Stepdance) the difference was minimized. It is just a very slight difference then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back