Price too good to be true for HD25-1 II?
Jun 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kyuuketsuki

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, so I have been using my TMA-1s for some time now, and I love them. However, I've been getting into more and more jazz, and music that requires a better range. The TMA-1s have been serving me well and sound pretty damn good for the vast majority of my music, but I know it can sound better. So I have been debating on getting the HD25-1 IIs. And on Amazon I came across this http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00023J592/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top.

They look real, but the price has me skeptical. It could be a stock photo, or a scam. I don't know, but $130 for HD25-1 IIs? Call me overly cautious, but I can't afford to take chances. Basically my conundrum is this... I'll have enough money for a pair in a month's time at that price, or have to wait a bit longer (say sometime during the fall semester) and buy a pair from a more reputable source (Amazon direct, TurnTable Labs, B&H or J&R). For all I know those could just be the HD25SP with an HD25-1 II picture (the price is right after all).

After I get the HD25-1 IIs I'll proceed to A-B the two (TMA-1 and HD25-1 II) and decide which to keep (or keep both and just continue to expand my portable headphone collection, before I start on my home set up, which I already have a rough idea for).

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 11
The are from Price Pro and they are knowed for selling refurbished HD25 but the one said new. Someelse got a pair couple weeks ago for about the same price from Amazon direct but he received the SP model. He called Amazon support and argue that the picture and description was for the HD25 even if the model number was SP and Amazon send him a new set of HD25-1 II.

I would do it for $130.

I bought a set used for $145 a. Nothing ago.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Here the other [=http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/163153/hd25-1-appreciation-thread/1335#post_7557076]thread[/] with the other member that got them from Amazon for $130

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 11
cant find a thread form last week or before. same subject, same seller, Its actually a HD25 SP but the name and photo is wrong, check out the specs, also one member got them and  it was in fact the SP version, then he used amazon amazing customer service to ask for them ro change it for the headphone in the name / photo and I believe (not sure) they actually did! go figure.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 11
Yes I was the one that received the awesome deal.  This is for a completely different listing however.  The description on my page specifically said Sennheiser HD-25 1 II.  The difference was that the item number on the page was for the HD-25sp.   They did send me the SPs, and after a friendly conversation with customer service, they cross shipped me a pair of the HD 25 1 IIs.  I received them before I even shipped my SPs back.

Here is the page
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD25-1-Professional-Headphone-Earcups/dp/B000TDZOXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309239810&sr=1-1

In your case, I would probably go for it as well.  Those obviously are not the SPs from looking at the headband.  If I got the wrong pair, I would call customer service and ask that they send you the pair in the pic and listing.  However, my pair were sold directly from Amazon so this might have an effect on how your situation pans out.  If things dont work out, you can always ask for a refund.  

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Those obviously are not the SPs from looking at the headband.

From the OPs link?  I took the exact opposite from that listing/photo.  Those look like the SPs to me.  The 25-1 IIs should have a split headband.
Further examined.  They aren't the SPs.  That photo makes the band look incredibly slim / only having one pad, but you're right.  Man,  these things are getting more and more deceptive.

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
From the OPs link?  I took the exact opposite from that listing/photo.  Those look like the SPs to me.  The 25-1 IIs should have a split headband.

This is the image of the "HD25" from OP's link. See the hinge?

This is the HD25 SP. No hinge.

The hinge is proof that photo on Amazon listing is a HD 25-1 with split headband--that hinge is necessary to accommodate the headband.

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 11
This is why I am not sure... I know I can deal with Amazon directly, but I have never had to return something from another company before. Amazon would probably fix it, but they wouldn't. The most likely occurrence if they were the SPs is that I'd have to return them and pay a restocking fee, which would be BS. If it was actually Amazon shipped I'd jump on it now, and charge it, because that is insane. But I'm weary because its not. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

Haha, yes.  I beat you to it with the edit button,  but that is indeed a good way to tell.  I've never realized how truly different the design of the SPs were until you pointed that out and I also noticed the wiring is straight down from the bottom of each cup.

kyuuketsuki:  They have a few bad seller ratings based on wrong item / bad return experience.  Just a heads up.

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Haha, yes.  I beat you to it with the edit button,  but that is indeed a good way to tell.  I've never realized how truly different the design of the SPs were until you pointed that out and I also noticed the wiring is straight down from the bottom of each cup.

kyuuketsuki:  They have a few bad seller ratings based on wrong item / bad return experience.  Just a heads up.

Yeah, the more and more I look at it, I think I should just wait it out and save up for the HD25-1 IIs from a reputable source. I don't mind paying $200 hundred for a good headphone, but as it stands I don't have that money. And the likelihood that I'll be selling one or the other is high for the purposes of starting on my home set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back