Price no object closed headphone that isolate and don't leak sound (for work)
Jul 17, 2009 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a "better" work headphone. I will be running them balanced and requirements to drive any headphone will be well met.

I used a few Ultrasones, they isolate very well but I don't like the sound way too much so Ultrasone is out of the question. No Ed.8 or Ed.9. I really like the sound of Denon D-5000 but it does not isolate well enough so I can't use those either. I currently have Headphile Deep cup V4. They sound nice and isolate well but again, not "great"; too bass heavy without enough of everything else.

I want something fun to listen to on frustrating days at the office and willing to pay for anything that is up to the challenge.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 44
I really can't think of any other great closed headphones that both isolates AND sound good. When I think of isolation, I think of studio monitors in which most don't sound very good relatively speaking.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 44
beyer 770/600 ohm MANUFAKTUR, available already re-cabled and balanced with Silver Dragon from Drew at moon-audio. With the right amp (mine was specifically designed for 600 ohm phones) these sound amazing. Forget everything you think you know about beyer 770s.

And if you really mean "any price", why not Stax 4070's with a Woo, RSA, or a Justin 'stat amp ? (Or even a used 717, which I think is an under-appreciated amp).

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 44
L3000s isolate very well and are very fun.

I have tried the Edition 8s and found them quite different from other Ultrasones. Totally creamy and smooth with no 'bite' or edginess at all.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 44
I think I've tried the DT770-600 at a meet, wasn't overly impressed, but that was at a meet condition, listening only to a couple of songs. I can make my own cable, but thanks for link.

Hmm.. about amp, Dynamid is not best for very high impedance, might have to build another Beta.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Might want to change to best dynamic headphone as I'm usually not a fan of electrostatic headphones, plus building the amp will be a challenge for me as well, haven't built an electrostatic amp before and putting a few hundred volts through my head isn't high on my list of things to do. Might consider at another time, but not now.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 44
Set of DX1000's?

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 44
I will say that I can't remember reading much negative about the Ed. 8, it might be worth the shot.

I'm enjoying my new Shure SRH-840s quite a bit - they're not pricey but they sound great, if a little bit on the dark side, and they isolate very well.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 44
FA have you considered custom IEMs? Isolation and doesnt leak sound...of course they dont hold a candle to even a d5k...I have the um3x/um56 and d5k so Im not talking out of my ass...I am firmly convinced a car could drive into the front of my house and I wouldnt hear it.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Set of DX1000's?

Yeah those

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the new line from Shure?

Or those

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say that I can't remember reading much negative about the Ed. 8, it might be worth the shot.

I'm enjoying my new Shure SRH-840s quite a bit - they're not pricey but they sound great, if a little bit on the dark side, and they isolate very well.

I remember reading a LOT of negative stuff on the ed8 myself.
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 44
I listened to the Edition 8's at the last meet in Kenosha, WI- I personally liek them A LOT.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 44
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that you won't like custom IEM (again, don't know why...). But if you don't mind, why not go with customs as some other people already stated. They isolate very well and JH13Pro is getting very good reviews (some people compare them to HD800). You won't need expensive amp (or maybe not at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back