price beyond reason
Dec 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 89
Just dropped $2150, so worth it, but you have to have the upstream gear too.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #17 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by darlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you totally !! haha. Once you reach the "highest" threshold, it becomes the next steeping board to a higher threshold.
ksc75smile.gif
My most extravagent purchase is a pair of PS1000.. and i really don forsee me going higher than this.. maybe go horizontal.. :p but definitely NO higher ..
wink.gif

Suggest a revision to include 1200- 2000 cos most of the flag ship models are aournd the range?

I don't see myself going beyond PS1000 cost since after getting these Ultrasones, the law of diminishing returns is now quite palpable. What I *am* doing is looking at getting another >$1K phone. It'll be either the HD800 or the T1.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #18 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriktous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted 0-150. Can't see myself spending more than that on headphones right now, but I only registered with this forum one day ago.
wink.gif

And even though I can't see myself spending more on one set of headphones, I'm eyeing at least three different pairs of IEMs in that range at the moment, and knowing myself, I might end up buying all three of them.

Welcome to Headfi...sorry for your wallet
bigsmile_face.gif

Just wait and see...
bigsmile_face.gif
maybe you will change your mind after you hear some real gear.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 89
Most normal people have a budget and probably push it beyond a certain limit at times, but to say ∞ is utterly absurd, unless your loaded and have nothing better to do with all your cash
ksc75smile.gif
That said, the most I’ve spent on one pair so far is my ue11s.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 89
lets see..... I have no problem in spending thousands on gear that render music in a way that involves, embodies and embelishes the sensible in my being. Feeling music is immaterial and PRICELESS, a goosebump has more value than any material cost. If I have the means I will go for it.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 89
I won't say until I've heard anything over worth more than I currently own. If I had to money I'm sure I'd be willing to spend a lot if I listened to the headphones and really thought they were worth it. As GuyDebord said, feeling the music is priceless, and if you can better get that feeling when you spend so much money on a set up, you might as well go for it if you can afford it.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #22 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most normal people have a budget and probably push it beyond a certain limit at times, but to say ∞ is utterly absurd, unless your loaded and have nothing better to do with all your cash
ksc75smile.gif
That said, the most I’ve spent on one pair so far is my ue11s.

some people are loaded and they enjoy spending the money they earned by investing in their audio equipment. That is one part of the ∞ I am targeting at.

The other reason I put ∞ is if one person spends over 1200 on cans..that is pretty high compared to the general population...they probably don't care if a pair of headphone is 1000-3000...unless some cans are like 10,000. 1000-3000 are pretty much as high as it goes for a single piece of gear and really IMHO that's as good as audio gets.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 89
$1150 CAD for ES3X...

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 89
The most I've spent on a single headphone is my HF-2 at arounf $450 shipped. I voted $601-$1200. The poll doesn't include amps or dacs and the like.

All that said, I am waiting for the new flagship AKG to be announced and to arrive. Unlike my reservation to spend that on the top Senn and Grado, I'd happily hand over my cash to AKG if they take the 701 concept and bring it to the next level. I might even sell everything off and get the best amp possible for it.

Do I have a limit to what I'd spend on a flagship model AKG? I don't know yet... We shall see.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #26 of 89
$550 for the base headphone (D5000) plus another $550 for mods (Blue Dragon recable, Lawton Audio cups, markl mod), after shipping and taxes roughly $1200. I could have saved $200 by getting D2000s but I didn't realize I'd be upgrading so much when I originally bought them.

I would pay anything to be honest, provided I have suitable equipment to support it (I'm running my D5000 out of a HeadRoom Desktop with FLAC files, thankfully D5000 is a forgiving headphone).

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #27 of 89
I agree with aimlink and El_Doug, it is more about thresholds which in time move, rather than a line in the sand. I remember first thinking $40 is a lot for a pair of Koss the Plug, and then $100 for PX100 (AUD). Then I started getting a few around $300 mark and then $500, always fairly satisfied, but ultimately desensitised to spending more. I recently purchased an Edition 8, so I have climbed to a point where if I can afford them then I can justify them. At the end of the day, fairly top end headphones and related equipment are not really expensive relative to cameras, televisions, speaker systems, cars, etc.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 89
I voted infinity and though I don't think I'll ever pay that much (infinity I mean) as soon as I get a few major things out of the way I can easily see myself going over 1200. More money than brains?

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #29 of 89
To date, the most I've spent is $100, but I could see making the leap to ~$250 at some point.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #30 of 89
Hrm, historically I noticed that the price of the transducers for me is roughly 10% of annual income at the time...but you know, with current prices and average income in usa, any headphone is affordable within the 10% range =).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back