Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 19, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #3,526 of 3,652
Streaming is a grossly dominating source of music these days, when on the go, how do you manage this with DAP, when phones with data plans provide uninterrupted access to your streaming service of choice. Everyone has a phone these days, why do you need DAP when it's already doing 80% and more.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #3,527 of 3,652
Instead of carrying around another device, now i have to carry around an extra battery. :D

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #3,528 of 3,652
Instead of carrying around another device, now i have to carry around an extra battery. :D
I’m extra unreasonable, I carry around my Mojo 2 + Mass-Kobo 475 + 8AA batteries.

I do just carry around a dongle sometimes though.

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #3,529 of 3,652
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #3,530 of 3,652
Streaming is a grossly dominating source of music these days, when on the go, how do you manage this with DAP, when phones with data plans provide uninterrupted access to your streaming service of choice. Everyone has a phone these days, why do you need DAP when it's already doing 80% and more.

I find using Qobuz on my dap and carrying it in one pocket, with my phone in the other, a far better and more enjoyable experience for me than having a dongle connected to my phone.

I find the whole experience of carefully taking my phone out of my pocket, then holding the dac awkwardly whilst using my phone to then carefully place it back - really tedious and annoying.

I’ve even tried just tying to ignore my dac and let it dangle when I pull my phone out to use, but that’s annoying also.

I’ve also tried using a magnet to hold the battery to the back of my phone and using this contraption: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GX7Y9VY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.

Which is a decent solution, but I still prefer not having anything tethered to my phone.

Having a dac tethered to my phone also significantly drains the phones battery.

Once I got my dap, I’ve never looked back.

To each their to own, everyone’s different after all.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #3,531 of 3,652
I find using Qobuz on my dap and carrying it in one pocket, with my phone in the other, a far better and more enjoyable experience for me than having a dongle connected to my phone.

I find the whole experience of carefully taking my phone out of my pocket, then holding the dac awkwardly whilst using my phone to then carefully place it back - really tedious and annoying.

I’ve even tried just tying to ignore my dac and let it dangle when I pull my phone out to use, but that’s annoying also.

I’ve also tried using a magnet to hold the battery to the back of my phone and using this contraption: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GX7Y9VY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.

Which is a decent solution, but I still prefer not having anything tethered to my phone.

Having a dac tethered to my phone also significantly drains the phones battery.

Once I got my dap, I’ve never looked back.

To each their to own, everyone’s different after all.
I have both, and my DAC is tiny and sound great, but there is no comparison to either of my DAPs. Since most of my listening is at home, L&P P6Pro gets a lot of hours. Cayin N6ii comes on trips as it's a nice small DAP with solid sound also beating my phone with a DAC. YMMV, and all that.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #3,533 of 3,652
You can do the same with much cheaper and smaller BT dongle like BTR7.
But bt codecs aren’t lossless? I also use an iPhone and aac is even worse. What’s the point buying decent iem’s if you’re doing that? I might as well just buy AirPod pro 2’s if I went down that route.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #3,534 of 3,652

Download the playlists that you want for mobile use for offline listening so you don't need data at all.

However, while I have a DAP I do exactly what you said above, a Shanling UP5 Bluetooth dongle in my pocket and my phone in the other with offline downloaded playlists so I don't use data. Like the BTR7 the UP5 weights next to nothing so I don't even know it is there and the music quality is more than good enough for listening to some music when out for a walk.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #3,535 of 3,652
But bt codecs aren’t lossless? I also use an iPhone and aac is even worse. What’s the point buying decent iem’s if you’re doing that? I might as well just buy AirPod pro 2’s if I went down that route.
With iPhone, yes, sorry, but with Android 990/909 LDAC is good enough, virtually lossless for RedBook and start doing some lossy compression only with higher res.
Sonically there is no audible difference between USB and LDAC BT connection using the same dongle as it can work in both modes, also with BT you don't have to deal with UAPP clunky UI it provides for Tidal and Qobuz and can also play Imported (downloaded) tracks as well as you are in native Qobuz app.
And without UAPP USB sounds much worse than BT.
I am not a fan of tethered applications myself, and even that L&P W4 has a slight edge over BTR7 in sound quality, I only use it when completely stationary, or in the office connected to laptop, definitely not when moving around.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #3,536 of 3,652
Download the playlists that you want for mobile use for offline listening so you don't need data at all.
Was doing the same when was on limited data plan. The only issue with that is that you need to plan ahead and curate your downloads from time to time to cleanup space. With unlimited data you get just that, uninterrupted access to your streaming service at all the times, well most of the times, except when on the plane and in rural areas with no cellular coverage.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #3,537 of 3,652
@Precogvision will you be reviewing the Crimson from SA? I've read some big claims. Really looking forward to this one and hoping to compare to the U12t.

Aug 22, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #3,538 of 3,652
@Precogvision will you be reviewing the Crimson from SA? I've read some big claims. Really looking forward to this one and hoping to compare to the U12t.

Yes, I’ll probably hear it in the next couple weeks, although I’m not sure when I’ll get around to dropping impressions as I don’t have my laptop with me. I’m currently traveling through Japan, then South Korea and Singapore, so there’s no shortage of stuff I’ll get to hear

966E554A-7F0A-4FCD-9ECA-F119EA609A66.jpeg

50C5C4E1-8BA3-456E-9296-EB1C81CCEEEB.jpeg

B16F038C-086B-4017-87A4-9F255E231D6A.jpeg

Bonus if anyone recognizes the location of the last pic ^ :D

Aug 22, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #3,539 of 3,652
Yes, I’ll probably hear it in the next couple weeks, although I’m not sure when I’ll get around to dropping impressions as I don’t have my laptop with me. I’m currently traveling through Japan, then South Korea and Singapore, so there’s no shortage of stuff I’ll get to hear

B16F038C-086B-4017-87A4-9F255E231D6A.jpeg

Bonus if anyone recognizes the location of the last pic ^ :D
I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by - the photography or those quads.

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #3,540 of 3,652
@Precogvision is looking more and more like a K-pop boy band star :beyersmile: Enjoy the travel, mate. Looking forward for your take of the new Symphonium IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back