Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 19, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #3,511 of 3,654
No surprise about the Mojo...
Mojo2 is incredible, with or without onboard DSP. I thought it’s some kind of outdated overpriced gear that makes no difference, so I borrowed a well loved unit from a friend. Blown away.

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #3,513 of 3,654
I also never really liked using the DX300 (I might have mentioned this before, but the main reason why I even purchased it was so that I could appear more 'official' as a reviewer). Eventually I just stopped caring what people thought, and I have plenty of dongles which are more convenient, so off it went. The bottom line is that comfort and convenience will always supersede sound quality in the long-run unless someone considers themself a masochist. So that's probably the first consideration I make whenever making a purchase these days.
I see. So you sold off DX300 because you prefer dongles for better convenience? But on the other hand, I was considering a DAP for convenience thou instead of dongles.

Aug 19, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #3,517 of 3,654
Phone + Dongle doesnt do it for me for a few reasons:
1) its awkward to use except for an apple dongle type thing, but even then, feels awkward and i feel like im going to break it, and i cant charge and use at same time because....
2) drains my phone battery, which i dont want to do
3) phone notifications interrupt music, and i still want to be notified.

i only use my phone for tws music listening and podcasts. i love gbuds and airpod series.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #3,518 of 3,654
Phone + Dongle doesnt do it for me for a few reasons:
1) its awkward to use except for an apple dongle type thing, but even then, feels awkward and i feel like im going to break it, and i cant charge and use at same time because....
2) drains my phone battery, which i dont want to do
3) phone notifications interrupt music, and i still want to be notified.

i only use my phone for tws music listening and podcasts. i love gbuds and airpod series.
Dongle + phone in pants pocket is a nightmare, usability wise. Longevity of the dongle, cable, and USB sockets are also questionable. Another issue with dongle that most reviews rarely mention is that they drain battery even when no music is playing.

To me, dongles are just too much of a hassle for inferior sound quality compared to a good DAP or battery powered amp. I keep a pair of UTWS5 with a good IEM for use cases that DAPs are not suitable.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #3,519 of 3,654
Dongle + phone in pants pocket is a nightmare, usability wise. Longevity of the dongle, cable, and USB sockets are also questionable. Another issue with dongle that most reviews rarely mention is that they drain battery even when no music is playing.

To me, dongles are just too much of a hassle for inferior sound quality compared to a good DAP or battery powered amp. I keep a pair of UTWS5 with a good IEM for use cases that DAPs are not suitable.
These are really good points and I agree with everything you said.

Where I found dongles useful is to allow me to try different types of DAC architectures at a fraction of the cost. R2R and 1-bit DACs like the RU6/RU7 are 1/3rd to 1/10th the price of a quality DAP using the same architecture.

As someone wanting to try the different types and their resulting sounds, I found dongle DACs made it (relatively) accessible.

People demanding the very best will likely use a DAP and/or a desktop setup and I think there’s a target market for dongle DACs as well. They may not necessarily overlap.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #3,521 of 3,654
To me, dongles are just too much of a hassle for inferior sound quality compared to a good DAP or battery powered amp.
Totally echoing my thoughts. I don’t know why few people go crazy for dongles when there is an absolute compromise on the sound quality - something which is noticeable quite easy. Nevertheless, they have their own reasons.

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #3,522 of 3,654
Wireless BT dongle is great middle ground solution.
I would love to hear few names. Which are the best BT dongles available in the market - price no bar?

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #3,523 of 3,654
I would love to hear few names. Which are the best BT dongles available in the market - price no bar?
BTR7 is very solid. I A/B BTR7 with AAC bluetooth (the worst possible configuration, IMHO), and it does not fall behind my Shanling M6 Ultra playing local FLAC that much. Staging is similar, dynamic is similar, but micro detail especially in the upper treble is worse with BTR7.

I went with UTWS5 after more than an hour of A/B/C. Close enough BTR7 and M6 Ultra setups, vastly better than my BTR5 2019 version over AAC, and the most convenient.

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #3,525 of 3,654
There’s a simple explanation for this - price.

Not all hobbyists are deep-pocketed or are willing to drop 1k+ on a DAP or other individual components of the audio chain.

There’s a passionate budget audiophile crowd that intentionally or through their budgetary constraints aims to spend as little as possible while attaining the highest possible quality audio at that price. $20 IEMs, $30 DACs, etc.

There’s simply no DAP to be had in that price range.

There are also other reasons why people may not want a DAP. Some people aren’t willing to carry around an entirely separate device for audio, even if that means compromising on sound.

DAPs can get pretty bulky and weighty and the UI can be lacking on many DAPs. DAPs also don’t retain their value well compared to other parts of the audio chain.

There are many ways to enjoy this hobby. There’s no need to impose onto others the way *you* enjoy the hobby, even if theirs is different from yours.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back