Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 14, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #3,484 of 3,654
storm has ruined me.

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #3,487 of 3,654
jokes aside, storm is a fantastic iem that is everything i wanted. its one major downside, besides the price, is the amount of battery drain it does to my portable sources. and because of this, i went down a quick rabbit hole of sources which involved me buying a dx300 max, shortening it out or something with an outdoor plug while charging it on my patio and then having dhl lose it in transit back to ibasso for repair. sigh. still waiting to hear back from them on my claim

so i bought a dx320 max. pretty happy with it except the volume dial is kinda finicky.

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #3,488 of 3,654
jokes aside, storm is a fantastic iem that is everything i wanted. its one major downside, besides the price, is the amount of battery drain it does to my portable sources. and because of this, i went down a quick rabbit hole of sources which involved me buying a dx300 max, shortening it out or something with an outdoor plug while charging it on my patio and then having dhl lose it in transit back to ibasso for repair. sigh. still waiting to hear back from them on my claim

so i bought a dx320 max. pretty happy with it except the volume dial is kinda finicky.

My friends here in Australia went banana with portable amps to drive the storm. Best IEM that has ever existed, according to them. Crazy waiting time to get one though.

Aug 14, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #3,489 of 3,654
(...)
I do feel personally aggravated by a lot of reviewers...
The reviews are ideally helpful, but the fine line is getting thinner and thinner to me (obviously with my bias and my limitations).
Same...

But the way, I know my tastes and expectations, and I do possess already my personal endgame (Aure Ringo's and his dedicated dap and cable and tips...).

What remains is curiosity 😇😅

And hey, there's always a good surprise in store. 👍

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #3,491 of 3,654
The main reason I sold the Helios is because the ergonomics were poor. I also never really liked using the DX300 (I might have mentioned this before, but the main reason why I even purchased it was so that I could appear more 'official' as a reviewer). Eventually I just stopped caring what people thought, and I have plenty of dongles which are more convenient, so off it went. The bottom line is that comfort and convenience will always supersede sound quality in the long-run unless someone considers themself a masochist. So that's probably the first consideration I make whenever making a purchase these days.
Agreed. I went the route of finding good sounding DAPs to enhance my IEMs. Found a couple that I liked including the Shanling M8 and DX300, but after I finished that phase, I've just been using the Legend X + iFi GO Pod and only use the DAPs on rare occasion. Sold the DX300 and might sell the M8 since I mainly use the GO Pods.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #3,492 of 3,654
Agreed. I went the route of finding good sounding DAPs to enhance my IEMs. Found a couple that I liked including the Shanling M8 and DX300, but after I finished that phase, I've just been using the Legend X + iFi GO Pod and only use the DAPs on rare occasion. Sold the DX300 and might sell the M8 since I mainly use the GO Pods.
Not quite a fair comparison now that the tech has improved. Last time I did A/B between FiiO UTWS5 and Shanling M6 Ultra, I found they trade blows in terms of staging and dynamic. But it has not been the case with most dongles before in my collection. It’s great that we are reaching the point when we gradually don’t need overpowered DAP for such kind of presentation with IEMs anymore. But it’s not that overpowered DAPs make no difference. It’s how far these tiny DAC and amps have advanced.

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #3,493 of 3,654
Unrelated question: I just bought a iBasso dc06 and tried using it on Windows. What features should I turn off on Windows to have the least OS interference with sound? I already turned off Sound Enhancement in the Sound settings.

Aug 16, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #3,495 of 3,654
Unrelated question: I just bought a iBasso dc06 and tried using it on Windows. What features should I turn off on Windows to have the least OS interference with sound? I already turned off Sound Enhancement in the Sound settings.

Depending on your music player, you should turn on Exclusive Mode via WASAPI or ASIO, depending on if the DAC has a driver or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back