Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #3,436 of 3,652
I think they're unique in their own ways. Like you said, the U4s is definitely better rounded. Aside from physically fitting better, it's just going to work with more genres and be more flexible with the Apex modules. If you want forward female vocals and sharper bass, though, then the IER-Z1R is the better option. They have pretty different presentations in terms of intangibles from memory. IER-Z1R is more grand sounding, it sounds more cavernous. U4s is not quite as grand sounding, but if you want to hear the trailing edges of vocals and reverb trails, then the U4s is a little more detailed as it has noticeably more energy past 15kHz.

Bottom line is that I think the U4s is the better option for most people. But if you know what you want, or are possibly listening to a specific subset of music, then the IER-Z1R can still come out on top.
How does the Symphonium Helios (SE as well) fit into this comparison? I sold my z1r a year ago and miss the lean sound sig with its terrific bass and treble. Was wondering if the Helios can fill its shoes.

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #3,437 of 3,652
I think they're unique in their own ways. Like you said, the U4s is definitely better rounded. Aside from physically fitting better, it's just going to work with more genres and be more flexible with the Apex modules. If you want forward female vocals and sharper bass, though, then the IER-Z1R is the better option. They have pretty different presentations in terms of intangibles from memory. IER-Z1R is more grand sounding, it sounds more cavernous. U4s is not quite as grand sounding, but if you want to hear the trailing edges of vocals and reverb trails, then the U4s is a little more detailed as it has noticeably more energy past 15kHz.

Bottom line is that I think the U4s is the better option for most people. But if you know what you want, or are possibly listening to a specific subset of music, then the IER-Z1R can still come out on top.
I have the U4s and love it , think on adding a Trio to my collection, any thoughts between the two?

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #3,438 of 3,652
How does the Symphonium Helios (SE as well) fit into this comparison? I sold my z1r a year ago and miss the lean sound sig with its terrific bass and treble. Was wondering if the Helios can fill its shoes.
It has been very long since I listened to a Z1R so can’t comment. But the Helios might give you that lean, subbass focused sound. To be fair, describing the tonality of Helios as “lean” or “analytical” is doing it a disservice. It’s just flat line across the range with extended treble, and a big subbass boost. Very dynamic and “fast” sounding. The soundstage feels large because of the way it fits. It can get uncomfortable due to the pressure build up after an hour or two.

I have the U12t so I don’t quite have a logical reason for the Helios, but I am thinking about getting one in a few months, just because I like how clean and fun it sound.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #3,439 of 3,652
It has been very long since I listened to a Z1R so can’t comment. But the Helios might give you that lean, subbass focused sound. To be fair, describing the tonality of Helios as “lean” or “analytical” is doing it a disservice. It’s just flat line across the range with extended treble, and a big subbass boost. Very dynamic and “fast” sounding. The soundstage feels large because of the way it fits. It can get uncomfortable due to the pressure build up after an hour or two.

I have the U12t so I don’t quite have a logical reason for the Helios, but I am thinking about getting one in a few months, just because I like how clean and fun it sound.
Thanks for the reply. The reason I’m asking about the z1r and the Helios is because I’m looking for a more treble focused set to add to my collection. I don’t find 64 audio’s treble to be particularly great between the U12t and the tia trio which I own and every other universal model I’ve demoed. The tia drivers’ presentation is unique in its upper treble peaks but they do not match the quality and linearity of the Helios or z1r, not the mention the annihilator (which is too far out of reach for me atm)

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #3,440 of 3,652
Thanks for the reply. The reason I’m asking about the z1r and the Helios is because I’m looking for a more treble focused set to add to my collection. I don’t find 64 audio’s treble to be particularly great between the U12t and the tia trio which I own and every other universal model I’ve demoed. The tia drivers’ presentation is unique in its upper treble peaks but they do not match the quality and linearity of the Helios or z1r, not the mention the annihilator (which is too far out of reach for me atm)
IMO, the Helios OG has special treble that is only bested by the Annihilator. It’s super linear, and is the best treble at 1k and far beyond it.

I know @o0genesis0o said it’s unfair to call the Helios lean or analytical but I do find it to be so. Regardless, it’s a fantastic IEM.

I do find it somewhat redundant with my U12t but it really does have special treble. It’s the only reason I keep it around.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #3,441 of 3,652
IMO, the Helios OG has special treble that is only bested by the Annihilator. It’s super linear, and is the best treble at 1k and far beyond it.

I know @o0genesis0o said it’s unfair to call the Helios lean or analytical but I do find it to be so. Regardless, it’s a fantastic IEM.

I do find it somewhat redundant with my U12t but it really does have special treble. It’s the only reason I keep it around.
Since you own both versions of Helios, mind sharing the difference?

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #3,442 of 3,652

Lean in a good way to me! I have the Helios and it's different - both bass performances are very good but the Helios steps back in bass, while in vocals and and highs is slightly better. Both replay grande sound stage.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #3,443 of 3,652
Than Helios is a great set for you. Watch the Golden sound review of it - its pretty explanatory.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #3,444 of 3,652

Lean and musical at the same time. And, according to my beats the U12t in the upper mids (U12t has a drop there which results in loss of detail and sometimes hollowness.

Jul 31, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #3,445 of 3,652
Since you own both versions of Helios, mind sharing the difference?
Primarily the bass. The sub-bass is lifted on the HSE and it sounds to have more mid-bass as well.

Because of its bass lift, the lower mids are a touch warmer. The HSE is a *slightly* warmer set overall. I can’t come up with any meaningful differences in the treble.

The OG sounds more V-shaped while the HSE sounds more balanced across the frequencies.

I think the OG’s staging is a bit larger. The HSE is a much more comfortable fit compared to the original.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #3,447 of 3,652
Hey everyone! I went to a Bay Area meetup called HiFiCon last weekend and got to demo some of the new CFA IEMs including the Andromeda and Solaris updates:

Love the new vlogging style! Very engaging.

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,449 of 3,652
Great video! Will a Mest shootout be coming anytime soon? Love to hear your impressions.

Hmm I assume you're mostly interested in the MEST MKIII? I have it on loan right now from Antdroid, but I don't have the previous versions to do a shootout and I don't know if it's worth a review. If you want the cliffnotes, though, l think the OG is still the best. The MKIII sounds a lot like the Indigo which had worse treble extension than the OG. My preferences would probably go:

MEST OG > MEST MKII > MEST Indigo = MEST MKIII

Make no mistake: the MKIII's still a good IEM, but it's difficult to justify with the price increases. Also the cable on the MKIII is probably one of the worst I've handled, it kinks so badly lol

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #3,450 of 3,652
Hmm I assume you're mostly interested in the MEST MKIII? I have it on loan right now from Antdroid, but I don't have the previous versions to do a shootout and I don't know if it's worth a review. If you want the cliffnotes, though, l think the OG is still the best. The MKIII sounds a lot like the Indigo which had worse treble extension than the OG. My preferences would probably go:

MEST OG > MEST MKII > MEST Indigo = MEST MKIII

Make no mistake: the MKIII's still a good IEM, but it's difficult to justify with the price increases. Also the cable on the MKIII is probably one of the worst I've handled, it kinks so badly lol
So happy to see that the ranking above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back