Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jul 18, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #3,406 of 3,654
My most used IEMs are honestly my Airpods Pro Gen 2. The transparency mode is incredibly good (I think they're the best of any TWS I've tried) outside of some specific scenarios (e.g. when there's a lot of wind noise or you have a hoodie on).

I had to dig through my old posts but I found my initial impressions. A year later, I think the APP2 hold up even better, as Apple seems to have made fine tweaks to the tuning that address my initial concerns with the tuning.
Effortlessly switching between transparency mode and active/passive noise canceling is an excellent feature for many situations. It's also well implemented on the Sony WF-1000XM4 IMO.

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #3,407 of 3,654
Effortlessly switching between transparency mode and active/passive noise canceling is an excellent feature for many situations. It's also well implemented on the Sony WF-1000XM4 IMO.
Agree with the transparency/canceling implementation on the Sony WF-1000XM4.

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #3,408 of 3,654
I do hope you get to review the Solis 2 from Moondrop. I’d like to see what they were cooking by making it a $2699 IEM. It looks like a good change and a hopeful product or it could be a complete dumpster fire where they are no longer able to push the envelope.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #3,409 of 3,654
I do hope you get to review the Solis 2 from Moondrop. I’d like to see what they were cooking by making it a $2699 IEM. It looks like a good change and a hopeful product or it could be a complete dumpster fire where they are no longer able to push the envelope.
A $2699 IEM from Moondrop? I wasn’t expecting that at all..

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #3,410 of 3,654
Not sure what the Solis 2 target audience is?

99% of Moondrop's fanbase can't afford spending $2,699 on an IEM.

Price markup is insane, the original Solis was $1,099 which was later reduced to $520 when the Variations came out.

I'm convinced the Solis 2 is secretly made and sold by Softears because they love charging ludicrous amounts of money for their products.

This set probably won't go anywhere despite selling out in China apparently.

Jul 21, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #3,411 of 3,654

Price markup is insane, the original Solis was $1,099 which was later reduced to $520 when the Variations came out.

I'm convinced the Solis 2 is secretly made and sold by Softears because they love charging ludicrous amounts of money for their products.

I totally agree. Seeing that it’s made out of .925 silver and 24k gold made me wonder why they would attempt to be in “Summit-Fi”. I would like to be proved wrong and hope the build quality isn’t the reason for the price and that the tuning/techs is exceptional.

I just want to read Precogs thoughts since he never holds back and his writing is always great.

I have the lowest expectations on the Solis 2, but part of me wants to consolidate my IEM collection and hope Herbert didn’t waste R&D. The Variations is my favorite IEM, but the midrange is too thin and not as detailed.

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,412 of 3,654

I agree. I think it needs to be around 1000. Look at monrack mk3 or supernova. 2300 is just brutal.

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #3,413 of 3,654
I agree. I think it needs to be around 1000. Look at monrack mk3 or supernova. 2300 is just brutal.

Me third. Even putting aside the price, a .925 silver shell is actually going to be a nightmare because silver tarnishes and you'll end up having to clean the thing without damaging the internals. Not to mention that the tarnish could cause frequency response changes depending on the structure of the nozzle and placement of internal components; anywhere there is exposed silver it will tarnish over time.

The Starfield 2, on the other hand, looks extremely interesting. I love the direction that a few companies are starting to go with making it easier to self-repair points of failure. Also that bass boost from covering the vent looks like bass cannon territory. Another interesting and appreciated inclusion.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #3,414 of 3,654
I thought the Solis 2 would be like $1,500 max.

It would make much more sense if the standard Solis 2 was around $1,200 and a bling-bling special edition was around $1,800.

The actual Solis 2 completely overhauls Moondrop's tradition of pricing their IEMs competitively IMO.

I'd much rather get a u12t or Anole VX if I was going to spend 2 grand on IEMs.

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #3,416 of 3,654
I thought the Solis 2 would be like $1,500 max.

It would make much more sense if the standard Solis 2 was around $1,200 and a bling-bling special edition was around $1,800.

The actual Solis 2 completely overhauls Moondrop's tradition of pricing their IEMs competitively IMO.

I'd much rather get a u12t or Anole VX if I was going to spend 2 grand on IEMs.
Solis 2 is just a jewelry IMHO

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #3,417 of 3,654

I agree with your point on the Moondrop fan couldn’t afford that much, but when you talked about Softears, They cost more cuz most of their IEMs were hand build in the traditional way, Moondrop in the other hand, most of IEMs were 3D printed and assembled in the product line, plus Softears used better components inside their IEMs, as you can tell by the RS10 RSV.
Secondly, Moondrop only shared same technology for their drivers that design by Softears, that’s all. They are two individuals company. And people in China have more choice on the IEMs, most of people only buy Moondrop cheaper lineup for Waifu artworks, most of their premium lineup including B2/3 is target toward Western and Japan.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #3,418 of 3,654
I agree with your point on the Moondrop fan couldn’t afford that much, but when you talked about Softears, They cost more cuz most of their IEMs were hand build in the traditional way, Moondrop in the other hand, most of IEMs were 3D printed and assembled in the product line, plus Softears used better components inside their IEMs, as you can tell by the RS10 RSV.
Secondly, Moondrop only shared same technology for their drivers that design by Softears, that’s all. They are two individuals company. And people in China have more choice on the IEMs, most of people only buy Moondrop cheaper lineup for Waifu artworks, most of their premium lineup including B2/3 is target toward Western and Japan.
I am just curious, why don't Softears craft their IEMs in the way Moondrop do (3D print)?

Jul 23, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #3,419 of 3,654
I am just curious, why don't Softears craft their IEMs in the way Moondrop do (3D print)?
They target to more high end market, and if they do 3D Printed, they unable to do custom IEMs.

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #3,420 of 3,654
They target to more high end market, and if they do 3D Printed, they unable to do custom IEMs.

I reckon what you're referring to is working with an OEM 3D printing company like Heygears who make the shell as well as internal tubing for Blessing2, Blessing3 and even Softears Volume.

Otherwise, most companies that are accepting of advancement of technology and can afford it, now 3D print their Universals as well as CIEMs. Even the ear impression STL files are processed in modelling software rather than by hand.

With that said and having reviewed most Moondrop and Softears IEMs, even though the nicest looking Moondrop IEM like the S8 is finished to perfection, which has a crystal clear transparent shell and you can't even find a single bubble in the resin, Softears stuff definitely has a better build, looks more high end and their RS10 has better technical performance for a similar tuned signature as the S8. Whether you'd want to spend 3 times that amount when S8 is already such a well built and tuned IEM totally depends on the weight of your wallet. :sweat_smile:

Another good thing about Softears is that they offer most of their IEMs as CIEMs, which Moondrop doesn't and Softears' CIEMs are very well built and have a very nice fit. I prefer my RS10 CIEM over all Moondrop and Softears IEMs for sound, fit as well as technical performance. :relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back