Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #3,151 of 3,654
That reminds me of Sony DAP with gold solder :dt880smile:

Joke aside, some of my fellow earbud DIYers swear that the solder type and technique can change the sound. No idea, I am just happy that my solder joints do not fall off.
It does change the sounds, easier way to explain it, when you put the different solder on the light bulb and connected it to power, it does flash differently if you caught it on camera. And put this case on IEMs, imagine how sensitive those drivers were, the changed of it is even more obviously. But anyway, is good to not go into cable, most of cable maker are pretty overpriced.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #3,152 of 3,654
U12t is soooooo good!!
Thanks for recommending it to me Precogvision!😍👍

For eartips, I preferred Eartune fidelity U tip for more direct sound. Interestingly, I am okay with stock spinfit cp155 eartip and stock cable with U6t which is slightly warmer with less detail. U6t will be around dark sky and Mext in my iem ranking list..
U12t’s high extension is very good, ethereal. With also balanced tight bass and detailed performance. Very enjoyable. Probably not very dynamic one, lacking DD, but sometimes I rather prefer tight, well-shaped bass that grows with portable amping, still not bothersome for mid area. Staging and everything is great.
Vision ears VE7 has great mid and beautiful vocals and it is equally great iem esp when matched with PW audio cable.. For ‘Ethereal’, ‘Detail’ feel, U12t is better, IMO.

For cable, silver-ly cables like liquid links silver cable(Turii ti stock cable) or Erua audio Orca cable were very good!

For source, sp2000ss, dx220 max or Chord qutest+Phatlab phantasy II all good with U12t 😃(In reverse order for portability)

Post in thread 'The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-17462987
I left a quick initial impression of Orca here.. Then I was told that it takes 100hr aging for this cable to settle..
D4690D3F-F7F8-4F7D-9080-757054FBFF3C.jpeg

Since I do not have Hugo2(which is said to be a very good match for Phatlab Phantasy2), matched Qutest with good result!

PC/Audirvana studio-Oyayide continental 5s USB cable(Enhances high Fr)-Morrow audio custom RCA to 3.5 mini cable-Phatlab Phantasy 2(Enhances mid and bass a lot)- Erua Orca 4.4 cable- U12t(Eartunes Fidelity U tip)

I like that U12t has slightly higher resistance than Softears Turii ti, for easier match with portable amps.

(Oyayide continental 5s is a silver-based digital cable. Not too expensive one. I initially did not like it compared to Audioquest Forest usb cable, as I felt sound focus was slightly blurred when matched with Ether C Flow.. But for U12t, somehow it adds desired high-end extension and airy feel. I still prefer Audioquest Forest USB cable for planar headphones which already has plenty of airy feel, as silvery data cable blurs SQ a little bit)
(Chord Qutest is getting 5V 2A power input from PC. Or other battery source. Default wall-wart adapter results some humming noise, probably bc U12t is more sensitive to noise than headphones)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #3,153 of 3,654
Oh yes.. I felt Orca was already good from the beginning, but per Erua CEO Joe,
“Joe also told me that Octa needs to run for at least 100 hours to be stable”..
On the other hand, I felt pw Deep of Universe had slight roughness, harshness but after 10-12hr aging/burn-in, it got much refined🥰☺️. So I guess it depends.
So, you say it is not your brain and ears that adjust (accommodate) it is the metal changing characteristics!?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #3,154 of 3,654
Cable does make a different, even if you put different solder on make a different. The thing is people in US or UK has less chance to experience it. In most of Asia store we have variety of cables for us to try out, even some store we can Diys the cable and try out different material.
Quality is needed!. Guess the quality is not good when cable connections are just tied and not soldered.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #3,155 of 3,654
U12t is soooooo good!!
Thanks for recommending it to me Precogvision!😍👍

For eartips, I preferred Eartune fidelity U tip for more direct sound. Interestingly, I am okay with stock spinfit cp155 eartip and stock cable with U6t which is slightly warmer with less detail. U6t will be around dark sky and Mext in my iem ranking list..
U12t’s high extension is very good, ethereal. With also balanced tight bass and detailed performance. Very enjoyable. Probably not very dynamic one, lacking DD, but sometimes I rather prefer tight, well-shaped bass that grows with portable amping, still not bothersome for mid area. Staging and everything is great.
Vision ears VE7 has great mid and beautiful vocals and it is equally great iem esp when matched with PW audio cable.. For ‘Ethereal’, ‘Detail’ feel, U12t is better, IMO.

For cable, silver-ly cables like liquid links silver cable(Turii ti stock cable) or Erua audio Orca cable were very good!

For source, sp2000ss, dx220 max or Chord qutest+Phatlab phantasy II all good with U12t 😃(In reverse order for portability)

Post in thread 'The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-17462987
I left a quick initial impression of Orca here.. Then I was told that it takes 100hr aging for this cable to settle..
Cable burn-in lol, I really wonder if you are able to differentiate all your luxurious cables when testing them blind.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #3,156 of 3,654
So, you say it is not your brain and ears that adjust (accommodate) it is the metal changing characteristics!?

Cable burn-in lol, I really wonder if you are able to differentiate all your luxurious cables when testing them blind.

Yes, I ‘feel’ that there is some difference after cable burn-in. I learnt that what I feel with my ears and intuition is more important than anything else in this hobby. Self-satisfaction, happiness is the most important value of this hobby, I believe.

That’s why I haven’t researched about this matter or looking into audio science review.

Why you guys saying like my brother? I gave him Cayin RU6 to introduce him to audiophile world. He returned it to me after few weeks “ Bro! I tested this vs macbook out and really, I could not tell any difference at all! I bet you guys, with blind test, won’t be able to tell any of those gears! Just bunch of nerds!!”
“Yes yes Bruh.. Well, it could happen..Macbook pro tbh, has really good audio out prob thats why..”

Though, my sister-in-law happily keeping blur earbuds 266 mx150😅

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #3,157 of 3,654
Yes, I ‘feel’ that there is some difference after cable burn-in. I learnt that what I feel with my ears and intuition is more important than anything else in this hobby. Self-satisfaction, happiness is the most important value of this hobby, I believe.

That’s why I haven’t researched about this matter or looking into audio science review.

Why you guys saying like my brother? I gave him Cayin RU6 to introduce him to audiophile world. He returned it to me after few weeks “ Bro! I tested this vs macbook out and really, I could not tell any difference at all! I bet you guys, with blind test, won’t be able to tell any of those gears! Just self-jerking nerds!!”
“Yes yes Bruh.. Well, it could happen..Macbook pro tbh, has really good audio out prob thats why..”

No comment

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #3,159 of 3,654

Why you guys saying like my brother? I gave him Cayin RU6 to introduce him to audiophile world. He returned it to me after few weeks “ Bro! I tested this vs macbook out and really, I could not tell any difference at all! I bet you guys, with blind test, won’t be able to tell any of those gears! Just bunch of nerds!!”

Your brother is a smart guy :). The difference between sources and especially cables are very small and often non existing. Your mood and how you listen to music, the quality of the master, etc..etc.. is much more important than cables..

That said this hobby is about enjoying music and by nature very subjektive. If you believe cables are extremely important then fine, but don't expect we all believe in it or hear any differences.

The more I A/B sources the less difference I hear, with a few exceptions mostly regarding power but also a bit in tonality. Overall it's a subtle difference that doesn't change the iem or headphone. Like most here on head-fi I still buy new amps/daps or even new cables sometimes. But I stop believing that they will change my headphones into something new! If I want something completely different I will buy a new headphone or iem :)

Happy listening :L3000:

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #3,160 of 3,654
@Precogvision All this cable talk is your fault. You got people bent into a frenzy about what IEM replaced your u12t and now look at what's happened.
Really! So, looks like we still can blame someone else for what we do and what we do not! We still prefer to 'follow' someone 'blindly' but suddenly we start to unlove him!
I listen to Crin, Resolve, DMS, HBB, Zeus, Passion for Sound, The Honest Audiophile,.... and take my decisions and risks... but at the end nothing is stationary - new launches come out and somethings loose value or are outperformed. Accept it and do not think you bought eternity.
I, personally, like Precog's reviews and complex expressions and logic and I trusted him on B2 Dusk and Z1R, but not on U12t and Variations. Instead of the last two I got MMk2 and Helios.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #3,161 of 3,654
Really! So, looks like we still can blame someone else for what we do and what we do not! We still prefer to 'follow' someone 'blindly' but suddenly we start to unlove him!
I listen to Crin, Resolve, DMS, HBB, Zeus, Passion for Sound, The Honest Audiophile,.... and take my decisions and risks... but at the end nothing is stationary - new launches come out and somethings loose value or are outperformed. Accept it and do not thing you bought eternity.
I, personally, like Precog's reviews and complex expressions and logic and I trusted him on B2 Dusk and Z1R, but not on U12t and Variations. Instead of the last two I got MMk2 and Helios.
I want to note that I was just making a joke about the fact that he dropped that tidbit and the thread went into disarray.

My comment was not intended as a serious judgment against Precog.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #3,162 of 3,654
Your brother is a smart guy :). The difference between sources and especially cables are very small and often non existing. Your mood and how you listen to music, the quality of the master, etc..etc.. is much more important than cables..

That said this hobby is about enjoying music and by nature very subjektive. If you believe cables are extremely important then fine, but don't expect we all believe in it or hear any differences.

The more I A/B sources the less difference I hear, with a few exceptions mostly regarding power but also a bit in tonality. Overall it's a subtle difference that doesn't change the iem or headphone. Like most here on head-fi I still buy new amps/daps or even new cables sometimes. But I stop believing that they will change my headphones into something new! If I want something completely different I will buy a new headphone or iem :)

Happy listening :L3000:
I completely agree with you!

Differences made by cables will not be very big.
I am not trying to say I am the only one who is right.
Also, sometimes I use stock Vision Ear’s thin cable for VE7, matched with Calyx M. I get that feelings of “cable does not matter”.
Yes, my bro is very smart. 😆

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #3,163 of 3,654
when you put the different solder on the light bulb and connected it to power, it does flash differently if you caught it on camera
Just stop this please, what kind of bad soldering it must be to have any tangible effect.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #3,164 of 3,654
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #3,165 of 3,654
Try before you say please
Not everything needs to be tried, like poking your fingers into electrical outlets (and I mean 220 V not 110 V!)

Pretending to rely on "experience" and "feelings", where precise measurements can be perfectly made, such as in the case with cables, (and none exists for the records - e.g. copper vs. silver, "burning" of cables....) is just outright silly, if not intentionally misleading and ouright discreting not only the posters but the audiophile community.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back