Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Mar 19, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #3,136 of 3,662
I didn't think I was interested in finding out...but now I am! I must.

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #3,137 of 3,662
Mystery IEMs just sounds like a joke to me. No any information, just pop up a graph. Are you kidding me!? So many good IEMs out there, why waste time waiting on this. Come on!

the-goon-star-wars.gif

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #3,138 of 3,662
Waiting to see what you replaced your U12t with...
You were part of the reason I became interested in the A12t.
I got an A12t because it was most people’s highest ranked custom and even if it leaves the s ranks of all the reviewers it’s still my go to IEM. Such an amazing unit.

Mar 19, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #3,139 of 3,662
I got an A12t because it was most people’s highest ranked custom and even if it leaves the s ranks of all the reviewers it’s still my go to IEM. Such an amazing unit.
I appreciate your thoughts and reassurance.
I'm fairly certain I'm still going to go with the A12t.

My guess is that, although a lot of folks are being taken a back by chifi and some newer expensive TOTL IEMs, they are probably still S tier.
They're an S tier, well designed and well tuned jack of all trades.

Seems like a lot of the stuff coming onto the scene are one trick ponies on the high end.
On the more budget side of things, I just worry about build quality and comfort/fit.
My ears are kind of weird, which is why I am so dead set on a CIEM.

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #3,140 of 3,662

My guess is that, although a lot of folks are being taken a back by chifi and some newer expensive TOTL IEMs, they are probably still S tier.

Seems like a lot of the stuff coming onto the scene are one trick ponies on the high end.
On the more budget side of things, I just worry about build quality and comfort/fit.

I think my ears are kind of weird too, and I was not able to get my U12t to fit perfectly until I tried the SednaEarfit Max tips. For whatever it's worth. Now the fit is perfect and I find them extremely comfortable.

I spent the afternoon a few days ago at the e-earphone store in Tokyo, trying and comparing different high end IEMS to the U12t, as I'm open to adding a 2nd set just for some variation. And perusing this site regularly does motivate one to do that, doesn't it, lol. And I'll tell you, to my ear, I still feel like overall they're best. No thoughts about selling. To me, great sound is great sound and the widely acknowledged top headphones are likely very tough (or impossible?) to really improve upon. At that level they do most or all things extremely well and then it's about personal taste. I don't know if it's one trick ponies or just novelty and variation having a lot of appeal, but anyway I agree with your post.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #3,141 of 3,662
In relation to value, my take is cost and value are different things

My perception of value for 64 and other CIEM brands trusted by artists around the world versus chi-fi that gets a revision 3 months later mean they are not the same value, although some people value the cheaper cost of chi-fi, which is fine

Also 64 offer regular sale events in the year and of course can jam show discounts so there is that

Interesting in this thread it is always A/U12T versus the A/U18T when the A/U12T and A/U18S have more in common with each other of slight warmth and '64 reference' mixture. The U/A18T has this extra treble lift that is nice by itself but I think strictly less "referencey". But then taste and synergy comes into it

If you are new to CIEM make sure your particular ear canal shape will have room for the 64 TIA build before paying for a new 64 CIEM order. No real way to find that out without paying up front for impressions though (I think)

One of Twister's reviews for 64 CIEM revealed his canal shape did not have enough room, which clearly is not everyone

Oh and the precog review that says there was "pain" during the impressions curing process should never happen -

Go to an audiologist who knows what they are doing (I use the same London based one used by artists, aid2hearing, complete professional)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #3,142 of 3,662
U12t is soooooo good!!
Thanks for recommending it to me Precogvision!😍👍

3FB0ED7F-9E38-40B8-B2D4-B527849D9D3F.jpeg

66864EF7-9E5E-4A3E-9516-A9ED99034AB4.jpeg

For eartips, I preferred Eartune fidelity U tip for more direct sound. Interestingly, I am okay with stock spinfit cp155 eartip and stock cable with U6t which is slightly warmer with less detail. U6t will be around dark sky and Mext in my iem ranking list..
U12t’s high extension is very good, ethereal. With also balanced tight bass and detailed performance. Very enjoyable. Probably not very dynamic one, lacking DD, but sometimes I rather prefer tight, well-shaped bass that grows with portable amping, still not bothersome for mid area. Staging and everything is great.
Vision ears VE7 has great mid and beautiful vocals and it is equally great iem esp when matched with PW audio cable.. For ‘Ethereal’, ‘Detail’ feel, U12t is better, IMO.

For cable, silver-ly cables like liquid links silver cable(Turii ti stock cable) or Erua audio Orca cable were very good!

For source, sp2000ss, dx220 max or Chord qutest+Phatlab phantasy II all good with U12t 😃(In reverse order for portability)

Post in thread 'The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-17462987
I left a quick initial impression of Orca here.. Then I was told that it takes 100hr aging for this cable to settle..

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #3,143 of 3,662
U12t is soooooo good!!
Thanks for recommending it to me Precogvision!😍👍

3FB0ED7F-9E38-40B8-B2D4-B527849D9D3F.jpeg
66864EF7-9E5E-4A3E-9516-A9ED99034AB4.jpeg
For eartips, I preferred Eartune U for more direct sound. Interestingly, I am okay with stock spinfit cp155 eartip and stock cable worh U6t which is slightly warmer and less detail. U6t will be around dark sky and Mext in my iem ranking list..

For cable, silver-ly cables like liquid links silver. (Turii ti stock cable) or Erua audio Orca cable was very good!

For source, sp2000ss, dx220 max or Chord qutest+Phatlab phantasy II all good with U12t 😃(In reverse order for portability)

I left a quick initial impression of Orca here.. Then I was told that it takes 100hr aging dor this cable to settle..
Cables need aging to settle!?

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #3,144 of 3,662
Oh yes.. I felt Orca was already good from the beginning, but per Erua CEO Joe,
“Joe also told me that Octa needs to run for at least 100 hours to be stable”..
On the other hand, I felt pw Deep of Universe had slight roughness, harshness but after 10-12hr aging/burn-in, it got much refined🥰☺️. So I guess it depends.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #3,145 of 3,662
Oh yes.. I felt Orca was already good from the beginning, but per Erua CEO Joe,
“Joe also told me that Octa needs to run for at least 100 hours to be stable”..
On the other hand, I felt pw Deep of Universe had slight roughness, harshness but after 10-12hr aging, it got much refined🥰☺️. So I guess it depends.
I can’t tell if you’re joking or not. As long as you’re happy, it doesn’t matter.

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #3,147 of 3,662
Cable making a tangible difference is already skeptical to me, but cable burn-in is on another level.
Come on man, those electrons need training to conduct electricity well 😉

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #3,148 of 3,662
haha don't yuck their yum. The only downside for non cable believers is that any decent not microphonic cable gets it's price jacked up!

At least there's Dunu

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #3,149 of 3,662
Cable does make a different, even if you put different solder on make a different. The thing is people in US or UK has less chance to experience it. In most of Asia store we have variety of cables for us to try out, even some store we can Diys the cable and try out different material.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #3,150 of 3,662
Cable does make a different, even if you put different solder on make a different. The thing is people in US or UK has less chance to experience it. In most of Asia store we have variety of cables for us to try out, even some store we can Diys the cable and try out different material.
That reminds me of Sony DAP with gold solder :dt880smile:

Joke aside, some of my fellow earbud DIYers swear that the solder type and technique can change the sound. No idea, I am just happy that my solder joints do not fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back