Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #1,441 of 3,654
I don’t want to make a statement based off of memory with such a far gap in time between hearing “both versions” but I’ll say that when I heard the U12t again (new logo) it resonated with me WAY more versus when I heard it last year (old logo), enough to where I got it in a CIEM because I enjoyed it so much. Whether it is some (apparently consistent) unit variance or a sneaky tuning change between the different 12t’s, perhaps maybe a change in my personal preferences? I don’t know, but I enjoy it a lot. It’s basically become my bass standard for how I want IEM bass to be tuned.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #1,442 of 3,654
I A/Bed the old logo S1 (the demo I used to choose my purchase) vs my new logo U12T (S3). I definitely preferred S1 because it sounded less dead in the mids. I don't get how such a difference can be considered unit variance. Glad to know my ears weren't tricking me when I heard the difference.
graph.png

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #1,444 of 3,654
Zero his from the Sony 1A/1Z.
Okay, now you're just flexing your DMP-Z1. I'm not sure how I feel about bringing a player the size of a shoebox with me on the go. 🤣

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,445 of 3,654
Mind you, resolution and dynamic, most of those high end stuffs are very resolving and have good dynamic. Those few EQ bands might help boost a 5/10 to 6 or at most 7, but they won't make it sound as good as that 2000$ iem.
Actually, there's only one iem that I can think of with 5/10 that is able to get to 7 with EQ bands and another one if you don't factor in the cost as getting a 7/10 from Precog is pretty difficult even for flagships (almost impossible for midrange).Just my 2c. 🤣

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #1,446 of 3,654
@Damz87

I'll reply here because I don't want to derail the qdc thread haha. Yes, I've heard three U12Ts. One with the old logo (my personal unit) and two (S2 & S3) with the new logo.

I haven't talked about it because there's always a possibility of unit variance, and I didn't want to imply that there was a stealth revision. That said, the two new logo ones did sound different to me. They noticeably had more bass (both sub-bass and mid-bass) along with some other small differences.

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 7.25.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-27 at 7.22.12 PM.png

I've A/B-ed my personal unit with the S3 unit pretty extensively. The S3 unit was definitely more lively and seemed to have slightly different midrange transients. Not sure if that was the product of small shifts in tonality or an actual driver swap, but later on, Lee from Elysian confirmed that the U12t's drivers haven't changed. Either way, I couldn't tell you which one I liked more between my personal unit and S3; it was really a flip of the coin depending on my mood.

@aaf evo has also graphed a couple of the new U12Ts and they graph like the two new logo ones I have heard. The first U12t that Crin has on his graph tool, presumably an old logo one, matches my personal old logo unit. But at the end of the day it's difficult to say. The differences are small enough to simply be unit variance.
Never mind the logo, 3 units pre logo change, all 3 sounded different (One probably had a crossover issue).

For my first unit, Fedex lost it so Headphones.com sent me the unit that Resovle used for his review. I maintain that was the best one.

Second unit was also from Headphones.com

Third (and borked) unit was @Colors

Good to know that we werent going nuts!

Zero his from the Sony 1A/1Z.
I envy people who can't hear hiss with the Andros on the 1A/1Z.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #1,447 of 3,654
@Damz87

I'll reply here because I don't want to derail the qdc thread haha. Yes, I've heard three U12Ts. One with the old logo (my personal unit) and two (S2 & S3) with the new logo.

I haven't talked about it because there's always a possibility of unit variance, and I didn't want to imply that there was a stealth revision. That said, the two new logo ones did sound different to me. They noticeably had more bass (both sub-bass and mid-bass) along with some other small differences.

I've A/B-ed my personal unit with the S3 unit pretty extensively. The S3 unit was definitely more lively and seemed to have slightly different midrange transients. Not sure if that was the product of small shifts in tonality or an actual driver swap, but later on, Lee from Elysian confirmed that the U12t's drivers haven't changed. Either way, I couldn't tell you which one I liked more between my personal unit and S3; it was really a flip of the coin depending on my mood.

@aaf evo has also graphed a couple of the new U12Ts and they graph like the two new logo ones I have heard. The first U12t that Crin has on his graph tool, presumably an old logo one, matches my personal old logo unit. But at the end of the day it's difficult to say. The differences are small enough to simply be unit variance.
Thanks for this :)

I don’t own any measuring tools and haven’t got my old unit to directly compare, but I generally feel like my new U12t sounds a little bassier, more lively and energetic in the treble and just less boring overall 😂 makes sense if it’s a little more U-shaped compared to the older units.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #1,449 of 3,654
@Damz87

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 7.25.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-27 at 7.22.12 PM.png

One has to wonder about quality control and unit variance with 64 Audio.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #1,450 of 3,654
One has to wonder about quality control and unit variance with 64 Audio.

I’d say it’s about normal honestly. The thing is, their designs are way more complex than a normal IEM - you’ve got tons of drivers, LID, and Apex, all crammed into one IEM. The Tia driver itself is apparently very sensitive to just slight adjustments in its position. More components also usually means more things to go wrong.

I won’t point fingers, but I’ve had plenty of flagship IEMs with questionable channel matching go through my hands. I normally just don’t get around to hearing multiple units of a given flagship IEM which can also make it hard to check for consistency.

Edit: IIRC you had a bad experience with your A18S, and this isn’t trying to detract from that btw. In an ideal world, differences between UIEMs and CIEMs shouldn’t exist.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,451 of 3,654
So sorry, I misunderstood. Actually never heard the Andos. I should have not posted anything. But never heard a noise floor with anything else?
Never mind the logo, 3 units pre logo change, all 3 sounded different (One probably had a crossover issue).

For my first unit, Fedex lost it so Headphones.com sent me the unit that Resovle used for his review. I maintain that was the best one.

Second unit was also from Headphones.com

Third (and borked) unit was @Colors

Good to know that we werent going nuts!

I envy people who can't hear hiss with the Andros on the 1A/1Z.

Yeah, I definitely could hear hissing from my old 1Z with Andro’s :frowning2:

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #1,453 of 3,654
Edit: IIRC you had a bad experience with your A18S, and this isn’t trying to detract from that btw. In an ideal world, differences between UIEMs and CIEMs shouldn’t exist.
With regards to the A18s, I returned them to 64 Audio for testing and they confirmed they are within their specs so I can now be sure in my criticisms. After hearing the production version of the U18s, I can confirm they sound the same and I feel there are inherent issues with the tuning of the A/U18 (perhaps a trait of the Tia driver implementation). The U12t is miles better.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #1,454 of 3,654
In an ideal world, differences between UIEMs and CIEMs shouldn’t exist.
You would have thought that getting rid of the tips would result in more consistency. But nope.

I agree with @iDesign., From insisting that their custom demos (aka unis) sound the same as the custom experience opens them up to criticism. There's enough of a sample size to indicate something is different outside of variance.

So sorry, I misunderstood. Actually never heard the Andos. I should have not posted anything. But never heard a noise floor with anything else?
Wanna sell me your ears? Hiss detector ears + OCD is badddddd

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,455 of 3,654
Only other IEM’s that I heard hiss with on WM1Z were CA Solaris and VE Erlkonig. Other than those, it was dead silent :)
Is there a DAP that has absolutely zero hiss with those? I can't imagine. My DX300 is dead silent with everything, but there some hiss with the Erlkonig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back