Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jul 31, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #1,201 of 3,654
Snake-Oil-Salesman.jpg

Haha I don't know which is better for audio nirvana, this snake oil thingy or sticking HI RES stickers on our audio gear!
FWIW, I bought a bunch of HI RES stickers at the last Aliexpress sale!!!

cbdc8e9d-76fb-43c6-8818-0c44554f151f.jpg
Need one of these stickers for the blackest background and widest soundstage possible 🙃

3157F323-396F-4E9F-B3B6-13A7B2971890.jpeg

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,202 of 3,654
I think people get off on trying to discredit others or a "hype train".
I've seen 4 graphs already, and this one doesn't match up from 20hz-400hz for me.

I'm not getting the same massive bump from 20hz to 80hz with stock tips. I am from some other tips, so ymmv.
The 6kHz dip is real. Boost a few dB and it's fine.
Cut ~60-100hz a bit, Boost 6Khz and 16kHz.

I'm A/Bing this with an HE6se V2 and Moondrop Aria on a Gustard X16, Monoprice 887, and Schiit Lokius. The HE6se V2 smokes everything, as it should.
The Aria has noticeably more bass in the same regions than the GK10. If you go by Precogs graph, the GK10 would have ~10dB+ more bass than the Aria. That is simply not true on my GK10. If you compare a bit more down the response, you'll notice the Aria and GK10 measure somewhat similar and both benefit with the EQ tweaks above.
So if the GK10 is crap, then the Aria must be hot garbage right?

Now that I've had a chance to A/B, I do think the low end could have been tuned a bit better, but I'm not hearing anywhere near what Precog is describing in the mids and highs. It still sounds better than the Aria, and that is punching well above it's price already.

Either QC is suspect (very possible for the $45), or Precogs measurements are wildly off.
(Not one headphone or IEM at any price range has not benefitted from EQ adjustments for me for specific songs/albums. If you don't want to EQ that's your choice).

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,203 of 3,654
Okay, so here's the scoop. The ports were sealed completely shut from the factory with excess glue or something, hence the ridiculous amounts of bass. I gently punctured one side with a needle and managed to free it, but the other side was gunked shut from head-to-toe. When I pushed the needle through that side with more force, it seems to have punctured the bass DD. Now that side literally no longer has bass. Even the side that has "correct" bass doesn't seem to graph like other measurements I've seen from the upper-midrange and up. I let InvisibleInk know about the issue (with an offer for $50 or to keep the Yume that I lent him). For further transparency, here are the measurements:

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.13.20 AM.png

(labels for full puncture and partial puncture should be swapped)

Whether my impressions still stand, who knows. On one hand, this probably (mostly) fixes the bass bloat issue. But if there's less bass, then my issues with the treble are only likely to be exacerbated. I also largely framed my critiques within the context of the driver configuration itself. Either way, I think we can all agree that the quality control is not within acceptable parameters with this set. I've seen four or five graphs and they all look different; suffice it to say it's not my problem when a manufacture screws up like this. Purchase at your own risk.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,204 of 3,654
Okay, so here's the scoop. The ports were sealed completely shut from the factory with excess glue or something, hence the ridiculous amounts of bass. I gently punctured one side with a needle and managed to free it, but the other side was gunked shut from head-to-toe. When I pushed the needle through that side with more force, it seems to have punctured the bass DD. Now that side literally no longer has bass. Even the side that has "correct" bass doesn't seem to graph like other measurements I've seen from the upper-midrange and up. I let InvisibleInk know about the issue (with an offer for $50 or to keep the Yume that I lent him). For further transparency, here are the measurements:

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 10.13.20 AM.png
(labels for full puncture and partial puncture should be swapped)

Whether my impressions still stand, who knows. On one hand, this probably (mostly) fixes the bass bloat issue. But if there's less bass, then my issues with the treble are only likely to be exacerbated. I also largely framed my critiques within the context of the driver configuration itself. Either way, I think we can all agree that the quality control is not within acceptable parameters with this set. I've seen four or five graphs and they all look different; suffice it to say it's not my problem when a manufacture screws up like this. Purchase at your own risk.
It’s good to know. This is my chance to take one for the team. We’ll have to let the Geek Wold guys they need to check for glue in the vent holes before packing and sending out.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #1,205 of 3,654
I've seen four or five graphs and they all look different; suffice it to say it's not my problem when a manufacture screws up like this.

Obviously not your fault and atleast we have some explanation for unit variance now. You were only reporting what you heard. It is, however, everyones problem (including yourself) when we write/read reviews and make purchase decisions in the context of unit variance.

Geek Wold need to sort it out.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #1,206 of 3,654
Obviously not your fault and atleast we have some explanation for unit variance now. You were only reporting what you heard. It is, however, everyones problem (including yourself) when we write/read reviews and make purchase decisions in the context of unit variance.

Geek Wold need to sort it out.

I appreciate the understanding and for you keeping it respectful, especially because I know this is a set you enjoy a quite a bit.

I avoid posting my sound impressions in dedicated threads when they're negative like this because 1) I don't want to kill other listeners' fun, and 2) if listeners really want to know what I think about a set, I trust they can look up the impressions themselves. But you are correct. It does put everyone in a bit of a pickle when there's quality control issues at hand. Luckily, it seems we've caught it sooner rather than later, so the issue can be brought to Geek Wold's attention. If Penon or Geek Wold wants to replace InvisibleInk’s set, I’d be happy to give it another listen. The goal isn’t to kill hype trains here, but to provide sober, balanced takes despite my sometimes caustic approach.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,207 of 3,654
I appreciate the understanding and for you keeping it respectful, especially because I know this is a set you enjoy a quite a bit.

I avoid posting my sound impressions in dedicated threads when they're negative like this because 1) I don't want to kill other listeners' fun, and 2) if listeners really want to know what I think about a set, I trust they can look up the impressions themselves. But you are correct. It does put everyone in a bit of a pickle when there's quality control issues at hand. Luckily, it seems we've caught it sooner rather than later, so the issue can be brought to Geek Wold's attention. If Penon or Geek Wold wants to replace InvisibleInk’s set, I’d be happy to give it another listen. The goal isn’t to kill hype trains here, but to provide sober, balanced takes despite my sometimes caustic approach.

I have tuned in again and again for your takes on IEMs specifically because of your sobering approach. It's always very measured and that's what sets you apart as a source of information. Keep up the good work!

My interest in the GK10 comes from a place of honest enjoyment - I want other people with similar tastes to my own to hear it too. It would be a shame for those people to read '3/10' and not look any further. Then again, it would also be a shame if they were to recieve anything but the intended vision Geek Wold had for the product.

Fingers crossed Geek Wold clean up the production process if this isn't just a one-off.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #1,208 of 3,654
It’s good to know. This is my chance to take one for the team. We’ll have to let the Geek Wold guys they need to check for glue in the vent holes before packing and sending out.
I probably would order from Amazon USA(hifigo store) if I was to order another one, just in case of an easy amazon return procedure for those unlucky defect one.

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #1,209 of 3,654
Looks like BGGAR's graph was probably accurate after all if there these kinds of QC issues and different sets graphing so differently. Certain reviewers should have more respect for others before spewing BS. Thank you Precog for ending this silly hype train before too many got burned. Sorry for those of you that felt the heat tho.

Aug 1, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,211 of 3,654
Precog, could you review UM 3DT?

Yes, I will get to it eventually, as I've had quite a few requests for it. tgx78 has already graciously offered to send it out later this month, possibly along with one of the new GS Audio IEMs :)

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,212 of 3,654
Yes, I will get to it eventually, as I've had quite a few requests for it. tgx78 has already graciously offered to send it out later this month, possibly along with one of the new GS Audio IEMs :)
Hey Precogvision, I will send them to you within a week or so 😉

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,213 of 3,654
Speaking of 3DT, anyone know a place you can buy the obscure 2DT "Terminator" that also ships int'l? Crin has that set in B+ tier which is a super good tier spot for a sub $200 IEM.

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,215 of 3,654

Users who are viewing this thread

Back