Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Sep 3, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #61 of 3,654
64 Audio Nio review has been published and can be viewed here. The decay and timbral coloration are spot-on, but it does lack some control in the low-end - most notably, it bloats with the M15/M20 modules.

This one gave me a headache on how I wanted to score it. I've said a couple times that I really like the Nio. And what is a ranking list but subjective preference? Nonetheless, so far I've taken a more "objective" stance with some minor leeway for my preferences when ranking. Consistency should come first, so I don't intend to make an exception for the Nio despite how much I vibe with it. Just a friendly reminder that my scoring shouldn't necessarily mean jack relative to your preferences either, haha.

Anyways, the rational: Technicality-wise, the Nio's playing slightly under the Campfire Andro 2020 (7.5/10) and Sony IER-M9 (8/10). It also doesn't have the safe signature those two IEMs do unless we're talking with the MX module, and even then it seems to roll-off on both ends of the spectrum. Score's with the M15 module, as that hits my preferences most closely. I think I'll re-work my scoring in the future, make it more nuanced, perhaps with a "Bias" scale of sorts.

Score: 7/10
Been rebuilding my asian pop collection after I purged it a couple years back (mostly for reasons of questionable providence for my source files) and I've been getting through SNSD, just added Galaxy Supernova to the archives so the mention of it necessitates a try for that on the DMagic especially with the spike in that upper mid/lower treble region.

Went through a couple reviews on your site and gotta laugh at this gem: If an IEM cannot play Taeyeon to my satisfaction: I default to a 3/10 score.

I can confirm that is the case. Sadly none of the recent posted impressions have gone through that wringer.But with DMagic and MEST still on the table, you know what that means!

This is not audio related, but I saw the EDC stuff and curious how you like the Django (PM me if necessary)? I previously had the Ridge in burnt titanium and the RFID plates actually damaged my cards in addition to the coating on the plates coming off and accumulating a lot of scratches.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #62 of 3,654
Went through a couple reviews on your site and gotta laugh at this gem: If an IEM cannot play Taeyeon to my satisfaction: I default to a 3/10 score.

I can confirm that is the case. Sadly none of the recent posted impressions have gone through that wringer.But with DMagic and MEST still on the table, you know what that means!

Haha, what can I say? :sweat_smile: MEST has been getting rave reviews lately, especially in your area. Everyone seems to love it. Hopefully I'll get the chance to check it out one day!

This is not audio related, but I saw the EDC stuff and curious how you like the Django (PM me if necessary)? I previously had the Ridge in burnt titanium and the RFID plates
actually damaged my cards in addition to the coating on the plates coming off and accumulating a lot of scratches.

I like the Dango wallet, but I also can't recommend purchasing it. The design execution is lacking; if you have too many cards, they'll start to "float" off the back because of the way it's designed. Doesn't help that the entire functionality of the wallet is predicated on the rubber-band, and the multi-tool with the T01 model is hot garbage. It's one of those tools (the wallet itself too) that makes you work for it, not the other way around.

Yikes about the Ridge wallet, though, I've always wanted one of those. The selection mechanism looked pretty slick and I liked the aesthetic.

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #63 of 3,654
QDC Anole VX First Impressions

This is one I've been trying to hunt down for some time! It's been "shilled" heavily by an, ah, certain individual in my circle, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious. Big thank you to @kdphan for giving me the chance to borrow these for a few days. These are just my brief impressions (switches off) after a couple hours of listening.
  • The first thing that's gonna hit ya is how resolving this thing is. While there isn't a lot of transient hardness, as in note weight/density, it's extremely crisp. I haven't heard anything else in the IEM game, excluding the LCDi4 (fake IEM btw), that can play ball with it here. Definitely the VX's standout.
  • Now, it images strangely, outside of having good positional cues. It's hard to pin-point why exactly; it's not like the Sony IER-M9 where vocals are sort of in limbo. With the VX they're completely grounded to the head-stage, and as a result, the staging lacks depth.
  • Treble has a strange roughness (maybe spike?) to it at times. Man, it's fatiguing. Could just be a FR-related issue, but maybe it's because it's a little too fast in the transients here. I also didn't notice it with normal instruments, but rather my EDM stuff w/ more high-pitched sound effects.
  • I think some of the complaints about VX's BA timbre are a bit overblown. It's got that plasticky quality, sure, but it's not in "BA artifact" territory to my ears at all.
Honestly...while the VX isn't really my cup of tea, I can certainly pay my respects. I think the best word to describe the VX is "sterile". It's got a Hi-res quality to it that grabs you at first listen, yet it feels more like a tool at the end of the day. Anyways, different strokes for different folks. No doubt it plays at the top of the IEM game - just not mine. Full-review plus scoring next week if I can wrap up the LCDi4 one.

Attachments

• IMG_8955.JPG
    IMG_8955.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #64 of 3,654
QDC Anole VX First Impressions

This is one I've been trying to hunt down for some time! It's been "shilled" heavily by an, ah, certain individual in my circle, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious. Big thank you to @kdphan for giving me the chance to borrow these for a few days. These are just my brief impressions (switches off) after a couple hours of listening.
  • The first thing that's gonna hit ya is how resolving this thing is. While there isn't a lot of transient hardness, as in note weight/density, it's extremely crisp. I haven't heard anything else in the IEM game, excluding the LCDi4 (fake IEM btw), that can play ball with it here. Definitely the VX's standout.
  • Now, it images strangely, outside of having good positional cues. It's hard to pin-point why exactly; it's not like the Sony IER-M9 where vocals are sort of in limbo. With the VX they're completely grounded to the head-stage, and as a result, the staging lacks depth.
  • Treble has a strange roughness (maybe spike?) to it at times. Man, it's fatiguing. Could just be a FR-related issue, but maybe it's because it's a little too fast in the transients here. I also didn't notice it with normal instruments, but rather my EDM stuff w/ more high-pitched sound effects.
  • I think some of the complaints about VX's BA timbre are a bit overblown. It's got that plasticky quality, sure, but it's not in "BA artifact" territory to my ears at all.
Honestly...while the VX isn't really my cup of tea, I can certainly pay my respects. I think the best word to describe the VX is "sterile". It's got a Hi-res quality to it that grabs you at first listen, yet it feels more like a tool at the end of the day. Anyways, different strokes for different folks. No doubt it plays at the top of the IEM game - just not mine. Full-review plus scoring next week if I can wrap up the LCDi4 one.

For sure the VX is extremely capable but it just can't bring up the kind of musicality that you'd want as an audiophile. I got it at a decent price considering how blisteringly high new costs, but really could go over the sterilenes. It was a contender for "endgame" at one point.

The DMagic, if you can get your hands on it, are nuts for Asian music.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #65 of 3,654
Hey, I see you have the DMagic and MEST. I tried the DMagic and was really impressed with it. I heard good things about the MEST from BGGAR. Since you have both, which one would you rec?

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #66 of 3,654
Hey, I see you have the DMagic and MEST. I tried the DMagic and was really impressed with it. I heard good things about the MEST from BGGAR. Since you have both, which one would you rec?
For an all-rounder the MEST shines better. The DMagic is amazing as well, but when you try it with say Kpop or JPop, it's a completely different level.

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #67 of 3,654
For an all-rounder the MEST shines better. The DMagic is amazing as well, but when you try it with say Kpop or JPop, it's a completely different level.
That's what I listen to when I tried the DMagic. I thought it could stand on par with the IER-Z1R. Really enjoyable! Decisions, decisions, decisions :wink:

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #68 of 3,654
That's what I listen to when I tried the DMagic. I thought it could stand on par with the IER-Z1R. Really enjoyable! Decisions, decisions, decisions :wink:
Both seem to follow an asian pop tuning, which is great. While I find that the Z1R could be fatiguing over time, the DMagic takes a smoother approach that is less fatiguing for me. Plus the DMagic takes less power to drive as well.

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #69 of 3,654
Audeze LCDi4 review is up and can be viewed here. Top-tier technicalities - primarily in resolution and imaging - and a terrific bass-response. Unfortunately, all the technical proficiency in the world doesn’t mitigate extremely poor tonality; I’ll let the score without the Cipher cable speak for itself.

Score: 2/10 (w/o Cipher)

Some of that telephonic, upper-midrange suckout pervades with the Cipher cable, but not in deal-breaking quantities. Just not really my thing because of the tracks I listen to, I guess!

Score: 7/10 (w/ Cipher)

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #70 of 3,654
Glad to see someone else who likes the LCDi4!

Extremely spacious sounding IEM w/ great imaging.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #71 of 3,654
Glad to see someone else who likes the LCDi4!

Extremely spacious sounding IEM w/ great imaging.

And don’t forget that delicious planar bass texture :relaxed:

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #72 of 3,654
Final Audio A8000

This IEM is using a single, beryllium DD. If you've read my review of the Dunu Luna, another IEM that uses a beryllium DD, then you probably know my opinion of this driver isn't too high. Frankly, neither have I read any reviews about the A8000, nor do I know much about Final Audio other than that their tunings generally cater to the weeb crowd. And I do enjoy myself some good weeb music. So hey, maybe there's some hope right? I so, so wish this were the case:
  • SHOUTY, SHOUTY upper-midrange. Like, c'mon. I know this is tuned towards a target market, but this is overdoing it and then some. Vocalists sound like they're swimming in sibilance every single note, and they sound unnervingly thin, strained at that. The dipped lower midrange, and the subsequent contrast, is as disconcerting as the upper midrange's presentation.
  • You thought the upper midrange was bad? The treble would like to have a word. This thing peaks like there's no tomorrow; I can literally discern specific peaks in the treble that's how much of a rollercoaster it is. It's shrill, overly bright, and leaves my ears ringing.
  • Bass is pretty decent actually. There's a good deal more quantity than the Luna, and it doesn't completely roll off in the sub bass at least.
If you have ears of steel, as unsalvageable as this thing seems to be in its tonal balance, hey, at least you get some decent technicalities. Like the Luna, it has good macrodynamics. But it's also not matching the Luna's wicked snappy transients or resolution. At least I could make a case for Luna having a niche audience, as much as I (personally) wasn't fond of it. You know what the kicker is though? My reaction when I took a look at the A8000's price. I do try to give an IEMs a chance even if I dislike them on first listen; after all, our ears are fickle like that. So yup, this'll get a full review. And yup, I suspect I'll also have a headache everyday next week. On the bright side (heh) maybe I haven't lost myself to my inner weeb just yet.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #73 of 3,654
Try to get your hands on QDC Gemini and 8sl too. There are people who prefer them over VX such as tork. I prefer 8sl the most among the 3, for being the least fatiguing and has warmth to make vocals sound rich, yet still remaining very resolving. QDC 8sh seems to be a strong contender too. :nerd:

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #74 of 3,654
Final Audio A8000

This IEM is using a single, beryllium DD. If you've read my review of the Dunu Luna, another IEM that uses a beryllium DD, then you probably know my opinion of this driver isn't too high. Frankly, neither have I read any reviews about the A8000, nor do I know much about Final Audio other than that their tunings generally cater to the weeb crowd. And I do enjoy myself some good weeb music. So hey, maybe there's some hope right? I so, so wish this were the case:
  • SHOUTY, SHOUTY upper-midrange. Like, c'mon. I know this is tuned towards a target market, but this is overdoing it and then some. Vocalists sound like they're swimming in sibilance every single note, and they sound unnervingly thin, strained at that. The dipped lower midrange, and the subsequent contrast, is as disconcerting as the upper midrange's presentation.
  • You thought the upper midrange was bad? The treble would like to have a word. This thing peaks like there's no tomorrow; I can literally discern specific peaks in the treble that's how much of a rollercoaster it is. It's shrill, overly bright, and leaves my ears ringing.
  • Bass is pretty decent actually. There's a good deal more quantity than the Luna, and it doesn't completely roll off in the sub bass at least.
If you have ears of steel, as unsalvageable as this thing seems to be in its tonal balance, hey, at least you get some decent technicalities. Like the Luna, it has good macrodynamics. But it's also not matching the Luna's wicked snappy transients or resolution. At least I could make a case for Luna having a niche audience, as much as I (personally) wasn't fond of it. You know what the kicker is though? My reaction when I took a look at the A8000's price. I do try to give an IEMs a chance even if I dislike them on first listen; after all, our ears are fickle like that. So yup, this'll get a full review. And yup, I suspect I'll also have a headache everyday next week. On the bright side (heh) maybe I haven't lost myself to my inner weeb just yet.

Surely you've tried to tip rolling? I auditioned them barely two weeks ago, and I'm of a contrary opinion: the mids and lower treble go beyond natural, they basically nail a "natural" sound mixed with "realism" (basically my owner friend's term for very detailed without sounding forced). No disrespect, just saying they are worth the ear time (under the right circumstances?)

The price/value may be a whole different topic altogether...20200902_203349.jpg

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #75 of 3,654
Surely you've tried to tip rolling? I auditioned them barely two weeks ago, and I'm of a contrary opinion: the mids and lower treble go beyond natural, they basically nail a "natural" sound mixed with "realism" (basically my owner friend's term for very detailed without sounding forced). No disrespect, just saying they are worth the ear time (under the right circumstances?)

It's all good man, I always enjoy seeing how what I'm hearing is stacking up with others even if we're not in agreement. I have tip-rolled a bit with the A8000. Spinfit CP145, Final Type E, Moondrop silicons, even foams. Unfortunately, I get sibilance with all of them, and it's not limited to just the upper-midrange. Currently running with the Type E just because they seem to kill the highs the most haha. I do hear a strong lower-treble peak; however, it abruptly cuts out before seemingly spiking again higher up. Tips definitely make a difference, but personally they've never made or broke an IEM for me.

These were just my first impressions, and I will definitely throw some more time on them cuz I have to review it anyways. Out of interest, which tips did you use?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back