Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
May 8, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #2,236 of 3,654
The Indigo upper mids scream Sennheiser-styled upper mids aka "depression upper mids" Crinacle memed about during his IE600 video.

Speaking of Sennheiser, I got a chance to spend some time with IE 300 and IE 900. I would buy neither, but that’s because of the peak between 5k and 7k rather than the lack of upper mids.

Both IEMs are tuned to sound layered and spacious, making them quite immersive to listen. If they follow more academic upper midrange, I doubt they would be able to achieve that sound. I don’t think everything needs precise 10db upper midrange boost peaking at 3k.

May 8, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #2,237 of 3,654
Will you ever cover the Xenns Up? It's a basshead IEM that surprisingly received little attention from the community despite the Tea receiving attention outside the infamous cult.

I know Crinacle didn't like the Xenns Up, but that's because the heavy bass shelf and dark treble doesn't fit his taste rather than being a mediocre IEM objectively.
I am not sure if Crinacle dislikes a heavy bass shelf though... Hard to say what his reasoning is though without impressions.

Attachments

• graph(6).png
    graph(6).png
    279.1 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #2,240 of 3,654
Shouldn't you use the IEM's stock eartips instead, though? I found that the Azla Crystal, which is supposedly similar to the Xelastec, has too much of an intrinsic "color".

I don't think I understand. Are the Xelastec not the stock tips?

Or are you talking about the other included silicone ones? Those weren't included because this is a loaner.

63798D8E-C8B2-4C8F-A2BB-46273506A9DE.jpeg

May 11, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #2,242 of 3,654
Hi @Precogvision , I am seriously considering Symphonium Helios as I was intrigued by its treble extension and technical performance according to your review. But I want to ask, would you recommend waiting for Elysian Diva at this moment?

May 11, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #2,243 of 3,654
Hi @Precogvision , I am seriously considering Symphonium Helios as I was intrigued by its treble extension and technical performance according to your review. But I want to ask, would you recommend waiting for Elysian Diva at this moment?

Hmm, unfortunately, I can't really give a good answer to that. For context, it's been a month and I still don't even have the test fit molds for the Diva. I'm expecting another month or two of waiting. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the initial batch is already sold out (or close to being sold out), so consider stacking on even more wait time. You'll have to determine for yourself whether it's worth the wait.

That said, I think both IEMs can be considered the top dogs of their respective price brackets, so leaving aside the question of how much patience you have, it's more a matter of whether your budget is $1K or $1.5k. And of course, your sound preference. Diva is more "fun" and aggressive, whereas the Helios has a more reference-y presentation to it.

May 15, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2,247 of 3,654
I got interested in the Zen Pro after listening to the Vernus, the mid bass punch on this set slaps!

The problem is that the original Zen goes for like 350 on the secondary market while the Pro is almost double the price.

I've heard that the Pro version is only a marginal improvement over the original outside of tonal balance which makes spending an extra 300-350 hard to justify when I can get a Dusk with the difference.

Could some EQ make the original Zen sound like the Pro version? I asked Super Reviews about this and he wasn't sure if you could fix the Zen's abysmal treble extension with EQ.

May 15, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #2,248 of 3,654
I got interested in the Zen Pro after listening to the Vernus, the mid bass punch on this set slaps!

The problem is that the original Zen goes for like 350 on the secondary market while the Pro is almost double the price.

I've heard that the Pro version is only a marginal improvement over the original outside of tonal balance which makes spending an extra 300-350 hard to justify when I can get a Dusk with the difference.

Could some EQ make the original Zen sound like the Pro version? I asked Super Reviews about this and he wasn't sure if you could fix the Zen's abysmal treble extension with EQ.

I like the OG Zen more than the Pro. Pro peaks at 2khz and then it all goes down. OG still has significant energy at 5khz which I like much more and I don't feel the Pro has better treble extension.

May 15, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #2,249 of 3,654
Currently own (and love) the Sony IER-Z1R paired with Shanling M8.

Thought to get a secondary set that would be a bit lighter/more comfortable for on-the-go or when lying down.

Was heavily considering the IER-M9, or Sennheiser IE600, but then got struck by the various hype-trains of IEMs such as Tripowin Olina, Shouer S12 etc.

Have some concerns about whether the IER-M9 is still passing the test of time, given it’s an “old” IEM and everything is moving at the speed of light these days.
At the same time I am not sure and hesitant whether it would make sense to get into Chi-Fi (eg models mentioned above)…

Looking for some advice — what would you buy?

May 15, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #2,250 of 3,654
Currently own (and love) the Sony IER-Z1R paired with Shanling M8.

Thought to get a secondary set that would be a bit lighter/more comfortable for on-the-go or when lying down.

Was heavily considering the IER-M9, or Sennheiser IE600, but then got struck by the various hype-trains of IEMs such as Tripowin Olina, Shouer S12 etc.

Have some concerns about whether the IER-M9 is still passing the test of time, given it’s an “old” IEM and everything is moving at the speed of light these days.
At the same time I am not sure and hesitant whether it would make sense to get into Chi-Fi (eg models mentioned above)…

Looking for some advice — what would you buy?
If you can afford - the U12T. I was able (great open box deal)- no regrets. It has been very widely and well reviewed, including by Precog here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back