Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Feb 21, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,026 of 3,654
@Precogvision what cable did you use for your U12T btw? I know you said the stock cable w/ memory wire is pretty bad in terms of sturdiness. Any aftermarket cables you recommend?
I use the one off of the ThieAudio Legacy 4, but I'm not sure if that's purchasable separately. The new stock cable that comes with the U12t is decent enough IMO. Honestly, I'm not really the person to ask about for cables haha.
@Precogvision, Is there any chance of you posting your impressions of the iSine20/ LCD-i3. I wonder how they fare against others in terms of resolution and soundstage
I have the iSine 20 ranked with what I thought about its technicalities. Excellent imaging (basically best-in-class if you consider the design to fall under IEMs), great detail, alright dynamics. I don't think there's much else that needs to be said that my thoughts on the LCD-i4 don't cover. The iSine 20 has the same borked tonality w/o the Cipher cable and, from memory, is slightly less technical in general.

Feb 22, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #2,027 of 3,654
Hey everyone, my review on Crinacle's collaboration IEMs has just been published here: https://www.headphones.com/communit...d-news/crinacle-collaboration-iems-review-crn

Could you try swapping ear tips to get a tighter seal on the Midnight? That mid-treble recession looks like a mini-QDC dip, and limp bass, plasticky decay, weak percussive impact, transient smearing, and strained vocals all point to excess upper treble due to an insufficiently tight seal on an IEM with a QDC-like dip.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #2,028 of 3,654
@Precogvision what cable did you use for your U12T btw? I know you said the stock cable w/ memory wire is pretty bad in terms of sturdiness. Any aftermarket cables you recommend?
Realize you're not a cable aficionado but that's why I'm asking. Even name-dropping some go-to brands for cables around or under $100 would be helpful.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2,029 of 3,654
Realize you're not a cable aficionado but that's why I'm asking. Even name-dropping some go-to brands for cables around or under $100 would be helpful.
You can try Satin Audio. Looks good. @claud W recommended them to me. I'm in the process of ordering their entire Titan line up.

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #2,030 of 3,654
You can try Satin Audio. Looks good. @claud W recommended them to me. I'm in the process of ordering their entire Titan line up.
Thanks, will check that out. Also looking at hakugei's cables. There are also some local cable makers here I bought from but I'm looking at options that will pair better with 64Audio iems, I'm worried about the connectors issue.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #2,031 of 3,654
I guess I can talk some more about my experience with cables, although my thoughts on them are decidedly about their physical characteristics.

If you're going to buy a Hakugei cable, I'd avoid their cables that use paracord for the wrap. The one that comes with the SeeAudio Bravery is awfully microphonic; in general, paracord is not the best choice of material even though I like it visually. It has a tendency to split, kink, and generate a lot of feedback. I'm also not a fan of many of the popular, high-end IEM cables - at least not from a usability standpoint. I found the thicker EA and Eletech cables difficult to use, and they also feel rather cheap in my opinion. The PWA cables are some of the worst offenders, though. Machining lines, jagged cuts to the wraps, poor attention to detail, etc. I believe most of these brands' cables also use protruding 2-pin connectors which are more likely to put strain on the flush 64A connectors.

Generally, I'm not a fan of thicker cables. They're unwieldy, put more strain on your ears, and usually difficult to fit into cases. The cables that I like the most tend to be thinner, more pliable, and with flush connectors. The DUNU cables lack flush connectors, but I'm partial to the DUW02/S and the Blanche (probably one of the highest quality cables I've held). I also like this one from Moondrop, although the swappable termination is a weak point (I know because I snapped mine). Some other cables that seem good are the Xinhs cables off of Aliexpress, where you have a lot of options for the termination. I might pick a couple of those up at some point.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #2,032 of 3,654
The new stock cable that comes with the U12t is decent enough IMO. Honestly, I'm not really the person to ask about for cables haha.
I agree the new cable is good but the $199 price is embarrassing— especially when a Dunu DUW 02-S cable can be purchased for far less.

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #2,033 of 3,654
SSR/SPP cables are my favorites (the Y-split is pretty ugly though). I'm just a big fan of single-strand cables, especially the one on the Z1R. It's mostly an esthetic choice, I guess. I bought 3 cables from XINHS, though the 4 Core Graphene is my favorite. It has a thinner weave/strand, is surprisingly light, (also very good looking when paired with the B2/Var/Kato and my U12T at the time) compared to the other 4 Core cables I got from them.

Feb 23, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #2,034 of 3,654
Some other cables that seem good are the Xinhs cables off of Aliexpress, where you have a lot of options for the termination. I might pick a couple of those up at some point.
FWIW I can confirm Xinhs are good cables. very pliable (even the 8 cores) and seemingly durable. only issue, some can be a bit heavy. I use the Graphene 8 cores on EVO and MEST2 instead of the stock (and muuuuuch more expensive) PWAudio, that same as you I don't like for both "mechanical" and "sound" reasons.

Feb 25, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #2,035 of 3,654
I guess I can talk some more about my experience with cables, although my thoughts on them are decidedly about their physical characteristics.

If you're going to buy a Hakugei cable, I'd avoid their cables that use paracord for the wrap. The one that comes with the SeeAudio Bravery is awfully microphonic; in general, paracord is not the best choice of material even though I like it visually. It has a tendency to split, kink, and generate a lot of feedback. I'm also not a fan of many of the popular, high-end IEM cables - at least not from a usability standpoint. I found the thicker EA and Eletech cables difficult to use, and they also feel rather cheap in my opinion. The PWA cables are some of the worst offenders, though. Machining lines, jagged cuts to the wraps, poor attention to detail, etc. I believe most of these brands' cables also use protruding 2-pin connectors which are more likely to put strain on the flush 64A connectors.

Generally, I'm not a fan of thicker cables. They're unwieldy, put more strain on your ears, and usually difficult to fit into cases. The cables that I like the most tend to be thinner, more pliable, and with flush connectors. The DUNU cables lack flush connectors, but I'm partial to the DUW02/S and the Blanche (probably one of the highest quality cables I've held). I also like this one from Moondrop, although the swappable termination is a weak point (I know because I snapped mine). Some other cables that seem good are the Xinhs cables off of Aliexpress, where you have a lot of options for the termination. I might pick a couple of those up at some point.

Strangely, I don’t get microphonics with the Bravery’s Hakugei cable, at least nothing more than a typicl mid-fi or lower cable. I usually secure the cable on a shirt/jacket so there is some slack on the cable to the ears so there is less downward pressure than not being secured.

I like the DUW02 cable, also. Very comfy. I prefer thinner cables as well. My thought is if a cable isn’t comfortable , why use it?

Addition: I noticed that the Bravery orginally had a plastic sleeve over the cable at the earpiece end, I forget the term of that plastic piece. My recent unit does not have that plastic sleeve.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #2,036 of 3,654

You will hate Shozy POLA cable , even though it sounds great and isn't microphonic but it did tear some skin off ear on top haha, when it pulled on me, so yeah softer coating on cable is a must !!!
Its not a cable but a lean, mean but good at heart purely copper wire haha !!! Plus its very unruly too 😆

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #2,037 of 3,654
...I believe most of these brands' cables also use protruding 2-pin connectors which are more likely to put strain on the flush 64A connectors.

Generally, I'm not a fan of thicker cables. They're unwieldy, put more strain on your ears, and usually difficult to fit into cases. The cables that I like the most tend to be thinner, more pliable, and with flush connectors...
Is this the kind of flushed connector you're referring to vs protruding ones? Honestly, never noticed this was a thing.

1645975409817.png
1645975462340.png

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #2,038 of 3,654

Talkibg cables - have you A/B’d any IEMs with the Blanche vs stock cables (say the 64 Audio Nio with the M15 module), and can you hear any difference - if not, in what way do you consider it ‘highest quality’?

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #2,039 of 3,654
Is this the kind of flushed connector you're referring to vs protruding ones? Honestly, never noticed this was a thing.

Yes.

Talkibg cables - have you A/B’d any IEMs with the Blanche vs stock cables (say the 64 Audio Nio with the M15 module), and can you hear any difference - if not, in what way do you consider it ‘highest quality’?

Pure build quality.

Sound differences with cables is a touchy topic, as it's difficult to A/B cables in the first place. Swapping in a new cable takes time and auditory memory lasts seconds; while you're focusing on trying to get the pins in while swapping, you've probably already forgotten what you heard. That said, I have tried A/B-ing some cables in the past, and I found that I cannot hear differences with cables that I would be willing to chalk up to more than placebo. So while I think I might have heard a difference, the difference is miniscule and that minuscule difference is something that I think most people can agree on. Additionally, price doesn't really have any bearing on which cables sound best - at least to me. Of course, there are instances with extremely sensitive IEMs where a different cable can very slightly alter frequency response, but I am mostly referring to intangible qualities such as better layering, resolution, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #2,040 of 3,654
I'm sure way more people would spend a premium on cables if it actually improved on IEM intangibles. (I know I would.)

Alas, cables don't really matter unless you are using something as crap as the (in)famous but memy BLON-03 stock cable.

Happy with any reasonably good budget cable in the $20-40 price bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back