Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Dec 23, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #1,846 of 3,654
Hey everyone, I've updated my list of favorite IEMs
CCZ CCA

What has the world come to? Am I actually putting a $15 IEM on this list? Well...yes. Yes, I am. The tonality of the CCA is still pretty bad within the context of more expensive IEMs, but it's within the realm of manageable and, more importantly, I cannot think of a more technical IEM for this price. Contrary to the mediocre components KZ usually uses in their IEMs, the CCA's dynamic driver is darn competent. It slams hard, resolution is solid, and treble extension is unbelievably good for a budget IEM. Just be aware that this is a brighter, more forward listen.

Lol, having a hard time with their names? :joy:

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #1,847 of 3,654

PhilPhone​

20210913-2L1A0097-Edit-1.jpg

Photo credit: Den-Fi

It's not an IEM, but out of the numerous headphones that I got to hear this year, this is the only one that really stood out to me. The PhilPhone is a modded headphone that meshes an Audio Technica housing with a Foster bio-dynamic driver. It follows that the PhilPhone's bass response is nothing short of breathtaking. It delivers slam, dynamics, and reverb for days. Perhaps even more impressive is just how much EQ you can slap on the bass without it distorting. Outside of this, the tonality of the PhilPhone is solid but not mind-blowing. The biggest issue would probably be a few peaks in the upper-treble which lend to a brighter treble response. Regardless, I can say that this is the only headphone that I have interest in owning at this point in time. The PhilPhone also has solid detail and imaging, certainly nothing that would leave me wanting for its price point.

Never heard of the PhilPhone, but I am intrigued. I haven't found a headphone yet (being an IEM person) that has really grabbed my attention, even after listening to many at CanJam SoCal and owning some of my own. I've been wanting a open back headphone with a desirable bass quantity that is also comfortable which is surprisingly hard to find the right one.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #1,848 of 3,654
Personal Favorites

It's been almost a year over two years to the day since I purchased my first real IEM, and wow, what a ride it's been. I still fondly recall thinking to myself, "Dang. Why's this stuff so expensive? And who drops $500, much less upwards of $2000 on an IEM?!" not too long ago. Well, the results have been...surprising, to say the least. Never would I have imagined that I'd get to hear half the stuff that I have (60+ 200+ IEMs at this point!), get to know so many awesome, fellow hobbyists, much less land a job writing about what I like doing. And speaking of that job, I believe we're going to be making a video soon containing our favorite headphones/IEMs of the year.

Which got me thinking...what do I actually like? After a couple of busts, I got real picky about the stuff that I was buying. And unfortunately, to my ears, most of the stuff that I hear - even the flagship stuff - is fairly mediocre; I have a tendency to cycle through stuff I don't like pretty quick. But amidst the plethora criticisms that I spew in my reviews and this thread, what follows are my current, favorite IEMs. These are IEMs that I struggle to knock, that I fall back on time and time again. I think some of my picks are a bit cookie-cutter, but good ones nonetheless. No need to agree as usual, and I make no claims that this is any way objective. They're not ranked by technicalities, tonality, order, or anything of the sort specifically. I'll probably update this list going forward in the future as well.

64 Audio U12t

3328AEB9-58B1-4CD0-8E24-DB6F982271BA.jpeg

Yeah, you already knew this would be making the list. The U12t follows what would be pretty close to my ideal target curve: a strong sub-bass emphasis, a linear midrange, and an easy-on-the-ears yet superbly extended treble response. The 2-5kHz dip to the upper-midrange is my favorite part of the tuning, begetting an unprecedented sense of depth I’ve not heard in another IEM; the U12t excels at projecting the center image, making it feel like the vocalist is actually there in front of you. Intangibly, the U12t also knows no equal to my ears. While I don’t think the U12t is the most uber-crisp IEM, as there’s a certain softness to its transient attack, the U12t’s macrodynamic ability, layering, and BA bass are all top-notch. There's not much else that hasn't been said before, but make no mistake that the U12t is one of the best BA IEMs on the market, if not the best BA IEM on the market, if only by virtue of how well-rounded it is. It likewise remains my top recommendation whenever I'm asked which flagship IEM I'd buy.

DUNU SA6

A489EDBB-308B-4533-8B13-4419C6048A4D.jpeg

This is getting added back after I removed it some time ago. The SA6 follows a QDC-inspired tuning, but it couldn't be more different when it comes to the intangibles. It has more bass texture than the QDC IEMs and a wet, slightly soft characteristic to its transients that's a whole lot more reminiscent of the U12t. The SA6, then, is expectedly one of the better offenders of BA timbre. The SA6 has a few minor tuning grievances like its ever-so-slightly uneven upper-midrange and treble response. Staging and layering on the SA6 are also honestly nothing special. But damn, it's just such a well-rounded set overall, one that I slap on and find myself getting lost in the music.

Elysian Annihilator 2021​

98B7212E-E7AF-475F-BF5E-D18E74479402.jpeg

The Annihilator's standout is its treble response. As far as I'm concerned, it's still the one and only true implementation of the Sonion ESTs. It sports almost linear extension and the lightning quick tactility that true electrostatics like the Shure KSE1200 deliver. The general dynamics and transients on the Annihilator are also nothing short of extraordinary. Music zips by on the Annihilator and dynamic swings are articulated with superb macro-contrast; the Annihilator only falls short in the micro-contrast department wherein there's some compression to its individual instrument lines. Speaking of which, the bass on the Annihilator is sort of "meh" in terms of tactility even if I do enjoy how quick it is. But no matter - give it up for one of the select few IEMs to blow me away.

Moondrop B2: Dusk

265A0F14-023F-4E77-A4AB-6C8F9EEC1A77.jpeg

What happens when you put the tuning of the already-good B2 into more capable hands? Well, you get the Dusk tuned by the (in)famous IEM reviewer Crinacle. The tonal balance of the Dusk is nothing short of exceptional with a terrific sub-bass shelf and balanced, slightly thicker midrange. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, under a grand - hell, maybe even in the flagship arena - that tops how well this thing's been tuned. Expectedly, the intangibles remain the bottleneck to what is an otherwise terrific IEM. While the Dusk maintains much of what made B2 great, the Dusk's bass is un-characteristically dry for a DD, and its imaging isn't quite as good as its brother. Still, it cleans up a lot of the BA timbre, and if the B2 was "nothing tops this under $300 good," suffice it to say the Dusk is in a class of its own at this price point.

Symphonium Audio Helios

C5BB8E34-7AFE-4BCD-A89F-B589AB7CC97D.jpeg

The Helios has a squeaky-clean tonality with some of the best treble that I've heard; it's nearly linear up to the limits of my hearing without any egregious peaks or valleys. But the Helios is by no means analytical either. Whether by virtue of the longer than average tubing being used or that excellent treble response, imaging is slightly out-of-head and triggers the "behind the ears" effect that only the most holographic IEMs deliver. BA timbre is present - I don't think that the Helios has a "lifelike" presentation relative to, say, the ThieAudio Monarch MKII - but there is a great sense of vibrancy to transients and the Helios is at least above-average in the bass department. The only real point of contention with this IEM would be the chunky shells.

Tanchjim Hana 2021

D9ADA49A-083A-4777-AC3E-E76B081000F1.jpeg

With the Hana 2021, Tanchjim has made major strides from the original Hana which I felt was overly shouty and anemic. Think of the Hana 2021 as a baby Oxygen, or a Moondrop $100 single-DD IEM on steroids. It has almost the exact same tonality, leaning just a tad more V-shaped. Where it distinguishes itself is in timbre - not all dynamic drivers are created equal. The Hana 2021 has slightly sharper attack transients than the KXXS, but decays longer and more smoothly, resulting in one of the most pleasant timbres that I've heard. Imaging is also slightly out-of-head and dynamics are certainly not as flat. Honestly, my biggest critique about this IEM is that it's too blingy!

PhilPhone​

It's not an IEM, but out of the numerous headphones that I got to hear this year, this is the only one that really stood out to me. The PhilPhone is a modded headphone that meshes an Audio Technica housing with a Foster bio-dynamic driver. It follows that the PhilPhone's bass response is nothing short of breathtaking. It delivers slam, dynamics, and reverb for days. Perhaps even more impressive is just how much EQ you can slap on the bass without it distorting. Outside of this, the tonality of the PhilPhone is solid but not mind-blowing. The biggest issue would probably be a few peaks in the upper-treble which lend to a brighter treble response. Regardless, I can say that this is the only headphone that I have interest in owning at this point in time. The PhilPhone also has solid detail and imaging, certainly nothing that would leave me wanting for its price point.

Honorable Mentions​

Here are some IEMs that impressed me this year and that I think will become staples in the market, but that I personally don't jive with for one reason or another.

CCA CRA

What has the world come to? Am I actually putting a $15 IEM on this list? Well...yes. Yes, I am. The tonality of the CRA is still pretty bad within the context of more expensive IEMs, but it's within the realm of manageable and, more importantly, I cannot think of a more technical IEM for this price. Contrary to the mediocre components KZ usually uses in their IEMs, the CRA's dynamic driver is darn competent. It slams hard, resolution is solid, and treble extension is unbelievably good for a budget IEM. Just be aware that this is a brighter, more forward listen.

ThieAudio Monarch MKII

The bass on the Monarch MKII is still pretty disappointing even within the context of its predecessor, and, personally, I think the treble response could use some work. But I cannot ignore the midrange on this IEM. It's basically balls-to-the-wall for max clarity and, while it can be fatiguing, the sheer detail is truly commendable. The Monarch MKII's midrange decay pattern is spot-on with just a hint of grain. Combined with the sharp attack (which I can't help but feel lacks a sense of vibrancy), transients sound incredibly true-to-life here. Layering is also top-notch for a kilobuck even if imaging does not come across particularly holographic.

Change-log:
(12/15/20) Removed SA6 for Dusk, updated Nio description
(4/09/21) Removed Nio (lack of resolution)
(8/03/21) Removed KXXS for Hana 2021, added back SA6
(12/23/21) Removed Andro 2020 for Symphonium Helios, removed IER-Z1R for Elysian Annihilator, added PhilPhone and honorable mentions
You forgot the Variations :wink:

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,852 of 3,654
Personal Favorites

It's been almost a year over two years to the day since I purchased my first real IEM, and wow, what a ride it's been. I still fondly recall thinking to myself, "Dang. Why's this stuff so expensive? And who drops $500, much less upwards of $2000 on an IEM?!" not too long ago. Well, the results have been...surprising, to say the least. Never would I have imagined that I'd get to hear half the stuff that I have (60+ 200+ IEMs at this point!), get to know so many awesome, fellow hobbyists, much less land a job writing about what I like doing. And speaking of that job, I believe we're going to be making a video soon containing our favorite headphones/IEMs of the year.

Which got me thinking...what do I actually like? After a couple of busts, I got real picky about the stuff that I was buying. And unfortunately, to my ears, most of the stuff that I hear - even the flagship stuff - is fairly mediocre; I have a tendency to cycle through stuff I don't like pretty quick. But amidst the plethora criticisms that I spew in my reviews and this thread, what follows are my current, favorite IEMs. These are IEMs that I struggle to knock, that I fall back on time and time again. I think some of my picks are a bit cookie-cutter, but good ones nonetheless. No need to agree as usual, and I make no claims that this is any way objective. They're not ranked by technicalities, tonality, order, or anything of the sort specifically. I'll probably update this list going forward in the future as well.

64 Audio U12t

3328AEB9-58B1-4CD0-8E24-DB6F982271BA.jpeg

Yeah, you already knew this would be making the list. The U12t follows what would be pretty close to my ideal target curve: a strong sub-bass emphasis, a linear midrange, and an easy-on-the-ears yet superbly extended treble response. The 2-5kHz dip to the upper-midrange is my favorite part of the tuning, begetting an unprecedented sense of depth I’ve not heard in another IEM; the U12t excels at projecting the center image, making it feel like the vocalist is actually there in front of you. Intangibly, the U12t also knows no equal to my ears. While I don’t think the U12t is the most uber-crisp IEM, as there’s a certain softness to its transient attack, the U12t’s macrodynamic ability, layering, and BA bass are all top-notch. There's not much else that hasn't been said before, but make no mistake that the U12t is one of the best BA IEMs on the market, if not the best BA IEM on the market, if only by virtue of how well-rounded it is. It likewise remains my top recommendation whenever I'm asked which flagship IEM I'd buy.

DUNU SA6

A489EDBB-308B-4533-8B13-4419C6048A4D.jpeg

This is getting added back after I removed it some time ago. The SA6 follows a QDC-inspired tuning, but it couldn't be more different when it comes to the intangibles. It has more bass texture than the QDC IEMs and a wet, slightly soft characteristic to its transients that's a whole lot more reminiscent of the U12t. The SA6, then, is expectedly one of the better offenders of BA timbre. The SA6 has a few minor tuning grievances like its ever-so-slightly uneven upper-midrange and treble response. Staging and layering on the SA6 are also honestly nothing special. But damn, it's just such a well-rounded set overall, one that I slap on and find myself getting lost in the music.

Elysian Annihilator 2021​

98B7212E-E7AF-475F-BF5E-D18E74479402.jpeg

The Annihilator's standout is its treble response. As far as I'm concerned, it's still the one and only true implementation of the Sonion ESTs. It sports almost linear extension and the lightning quick tactility that true electrostatics like the Shure KSE1200 deliver. The general dynamics and transients on the Annihilator are also nothing short of extraordinary. Music zips by on the Annihilator and dynamic swings are articulated with superb macro-contrast; the Annihilator only falls short in the micro-contrast department wherein there's some compression to its individual instrument lines. Speaking of which, the bass on the Annihilator is sort of "meh" in terms of tactility even if I do enjoy how quick it is. But no matter - give it up for one of the select few IEMs to blow me away.

Moondrop B2: Dusk

265A0F14-023F-4E77-A4AB-6C8F9EEC1A77.jpeg

What happens when you put the tuning of the already-good B2 into more capable hands? Well, you get the Dusk tuned by the (in)famous IEM reviewer Crinacle. The tonal balance of the Dusk is nothing short of exceptional with a terrific sub-bass shelf and balanced, slightly thicker midrange. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, under a grand - hell, maybe even in the flagship arena - that tops how well this thing's been tuned. Expectedly, the intangibles remain the bottleneck to what is an otherwise terrific IEM. While the Dusk maintains much of what made B2 great, the Dusk's bass is un-characteristically dry for a DD, and its imaging isn't quite as good as its brother. Still, it cleans up a lot of the BA timbre, and if the B2 was "nothing tops this under $300 good," suffice it to say the Dusk is in a class of its own at this price point.

Symphonium Audio Helios

C5BB8E34-7AFE-4BCD-A89F-B589AB7CC97D.jpeg

The Helios has a squeaky-clean tonality with some of the best treble that I've heard; it's nearly linear up to the limits of my hearing without any egregious peaks or valleys. But the Helios is by no means analytical either. Whether by virtue of the longer than average tubing being used or that excellent treble response, imaging is slightly out-of-head and triggers the "behind the ears" effect that only the most holographic IEMs deliver. BA timbre is present - I don't think that the Helios has a "lifelike" presentation relative to, say, the ThieAudio Monarch MKII - but there is a great sense of vibrancy to transients and the Helios is at least above-average in the bass department. The only real point of contention with this IEM would be the chunky shells.

Tanchjim Hana 2021

D9ADA49A-083A-4777-AC3E-E76B081000F1.jpeg

With the Hana 2021, Tanchjim has made major strides from the original Hana which I felt was overly shouty and anemic. Think of the Hana 2021 as a baby Oxygen, or a Moondrop $100 single-DD IEM on steroids. It has almost the exact same tonality, leaning just a tad more V-shaped. Where it distinguishes itself is in timbre - not all dynamic drivers are created equal. The Hana 2021 has slightly sharper attack transients than the KXXS, but decays longer and more smoothly, resulting in one of the most pleasant timbres that I've heard. Imaging is also slightly out-of-head and dynamics are certainly not as flat. Honestly, my biggest critique about this IEM is that it's too blingy!

PhilPhone​

Honorable Mentions​

Here are some IEMs that impressed me this year and that I think will become staples in the market, but that I personally don't jive with for one reason or another.

CCA CRA

What has the world come to? Am I actually putting a $15 IEM on this list? Well...yes. Yes, I am. The tonality of the CRA is still pretty bad within the context of more expensive IEMs, but it's within the realm of manageable and, more importantly, I cannot think of a more technical IEM for this price. Contrary to the mediocre components KZ usually uses in their IEMs, the CRA's dynamic driver is darn competent. It slams hard, resolution is solid, and treble extension is unbelievably good for a budget IEM. Just be aware that this is a brighter, more forward listen.

ThieAudio Monarch MKII

The bass on the Monarch MKII is still pretty disappointing even within the context of its predecessor, and, personally, I think the treble response could use some work. But I cannot ignore the midrange on this IEM. It's basically balls-to-the-wall for max clarity and, while it can be fatiguing, the sheer detail is truly commendable. The Monarch MKII's midrange decay pattern is spot-on with just a hint of grain. Combined with the sharp attack (which I can't help but feel lacks a sense of vibrancy), transients sound incredibly true-to-life here. Layering is also top-notch for a kilobuck even if imaging does not come across particularly holographic.

Change-log:
(12/15/20) Removed SA6 for Dusk, updated Nio description
(4/09/21) Removed Nio (lack of resolution)
(8/03/21) Removed KXXS for Hana 2021, added back SA6
(12/23/21) Removed Andro 2020 for Symphonium Helios, removed IER-Z1R for Elysian Annihilator, added PhilPhone and honorable mentions
How would you compare the SA6 vs U12t?

I had the U12t and had to sell it, and I miss it, but right now I couldn't afford the price, but maybe I could afford an SA6.

On the graph, and the SA6 in atmospheric mode, they seem quite similar up to 5 kHz, from where they vary a bit.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #1,853 of 3,654
@Precogvision Happy holidays to you! Have you already had an experience with VE EXT and Phoenix?

Thank you!

I wish I could hear them. Unfortunately, I'm banned (not by VE themselves) from the usual tours for these IEMs due to some not-so-favorable reviews I wrote a while back 😬

How would you compare the SA6 vs U12t?

I had the U12t and had to sell it, and I miss it, but right now I couldn't afford the price, but maybe I could afford an SA6.

On the graph, and the SA6 in atmospheric mode, they seem quite similar up to 5 kHz, from where they vary a bit.

Yes, they sound pretty similar up until the treble response. U12t generally has a sharper treble response with more airiness, whereas the SA6's treble mostly just sounds inoffensive. Intangibly, both have low BA timbre with slightly blunted attack and a more elongated taper to decay for BAs. The SA6 is a tad more plasticky in A/B. You can expect the U12t to be more technical for resolution and imaging. U12t also has noticeably better macro-contrast and slam, although the SA6 has above-average BA bass.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,854 of 3,654
I wish I could hear them. Unfortunately, I'm banned (not by VE themselves) from the usual tours for these IEMs due to some not-so-favorable reviews I wrote a while back 😬
Jesus 🤦‍♂️

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,855 of 3,654
Dec 28, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #1,856 of 3,654
Actually probably not Jesus- sounds more like the other guy.
Would be nice to think we've got past having to be favorable in reviews so you get access to future devices but clearly not.....

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,858 of 3,654
Dec 28, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,859 of 3,654
Thank you!

Welcome to Head-fi :money_mouth:

/s

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,860 of 3,654
Thank you!

Unbelievable… this is what uninformed audiophiles have to contend with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back