Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,833 of 3,654
@Precogvision have you demoed the Sony IER-M7? And if so, how do you compare it vs the M9?

Nah, I haven't heard it. From what I understand and from what the graphs show, it's basically the IER-M9 but with less treble extension so it comes off slightly warmer/darker. Here's some impressions on them from reviewers who hear things fairly similarly to me:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...ws-and-target-eq-filters.895832/post-14746689

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ami...-rants-and-reviews-stuff.911048/post-15071208

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #1,834 of 3,654
Thanks so much- thinking next about the A4S’ treble response (having read your review) would you suggest EQ to correct the A4S’ deficiencies in that part of the FR? Or does that create other problems?
Animus, aaf evo, and I all had very similar nightmare experiences with custom in ear monitors from 64 Audio and I’d caution against them— especially, given the wildcard variability in the sound and the complete lack of after-sales support. A used U12t or new U6t will serve you far better. With respect to the U18s, it has its own tuning issues and the problems are further compounded in the A18s. Theres no amount of equalization that will fix a custom monitor that’s screwed up right out of their gate.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #1,835 of 3,654
Animus, aaf evo, and I all had very similar nightmare experiences with custom in ear monitors from 64 Audio and I’d caution against them— especially, given the wildcard variability in the sound and the complete lack of after-sales support. A used U12t or new U6t will serve you far better. With respect to the U18s, it has its own tuning issues and the problems are further compounded in the A18s. Theres no amount of equalization that will fix a custom monitor that’s screwed up right out of their gate.
Pls can you say more about after sales service - @Precogvision had me sold on A4S and I was about to ask for a loaner U4S. I asked EE for a similar loaner IEM to audition and was given short shrift.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #1,836 of 3,654
Precogvision‘s A4s review unit was given to him by 64 Audio. You can search for posts by owners who had issues and it was ultimately resolved by selling their units at a significant loss. Again, I would never purchase or recommend a custom in ear monitor over a universal version unless you accept the wildcard variability in sound and actual street value (see my signature). And the treble woes in his review are consistent with being a custom unit. If you prefer to look towards reviewers for advice, Crinacle recently recommended against custom 64 Audio products and Precogvision said his piece.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,837 of 3,654
I have a counter view based on my experiences. I've had the U12T Universal for quite some time. Never really got the greatest fit but loved the sound signature. I ordered the A12T and have had zero issues, I actually thought the fit was a little tight and 64 Audio did a micro resize and it's perfect. Sound was fantastic, a bit "fuller" due to the fit. I also have the A18S for about 6months with no issues. I prefer the 64 Audio custom to their Universal. For my ear the shape of the Universal is problematic (for me), but I don't have the same problem with Empire Ears Universal shells (Odin, Legend X Evo) as they seem to molded more like a custom.

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,838 of 3,654
Precogvision‘s A4s review unit was given to him by 64 Audio. You can search for posts by owners who had issues and it was ultimately resolved by selling their units at a significant loss. Again, I would never purchase or recommend a custom in ear monitor over a universal version unless you accept the wildcard variability in sound and actual street value (see my signature). And the treble woes in his review are consistent with being a custom unit. If you prefer to look towards reviewers for advice, Crinacle recently recommended against custom 64 Audio products and Precogvision said his piece.
64 customs are so good that I’ve been unable to keep literally any other IEM because of comfort/sound/fit/lack of any fatigue while listening

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,842 of 3,654
My only issue I have had with 64 customs was the A18s, the A sounds quite a bit warmer than the U. I also wasn’t too much of a fan of the 18s anyways so for all I know I’m biased. The U/A12t to me sounded virtually identical and I had them both simultaneously to A/B
Agreed. I personally like the added warmth. Paired with my SP2000 and listening to accoustics with male vocals is simply sublime.

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,844 of 3,654
I would still buy more 64 audio CIEMs though. My experience with the 18s doesn’t outweigh my experience with the 18t and 12t. 64 audio customs are pretty damn awesome. I think I’ll have my CIEM Annihilator just after the new year, looking forward to seeing how that is also.
Certainly there are benefits to custom monitors such as the improved fit and isolation which are not being debated— some of the clap back replies above failed to separate fit from sound and the OP’s question about equalization. In fact, I briefly considered the A12t for those two advantages but opted for the U12t. Ultimately 64 Audio has no process for ensuring the sound is consistent with universal/demo versions nor do they provide measurement graphs defensibly showing the custom monitor preforms to the target that was paid for. To be clear, EQ cannot fix those issues. And I agree, the U/A18s has its own host of problems and is their single worst product. The U12t fit is excellent and by far the best tuning in their in their line— I see little reason to play the custom lottery.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #1,845 of 3,654
Hey everyone, I've updated my list of favorite IEMs. You can find the post here. The IEMs contained in the post are essentially my favorite ones for this year.

I'm not sure if I'll be posting much else before the year ends, so I'll keep this brief: I want to thank everyone who's supported and read my reviews! It's been an awesome second year in the hobby for me, and I feel that I've gotten more comfortable as a reviewer and that my listening skills have matured. But I'm not content with stopping at that. I can't talk about them too closely yet, but I have a couple of projects in the works (outside of reviewing) that I think should be exciting. My hope is to gain even more experience from them to take my reviews and knowledge of this hobby to the next level.

Again, thanks so much for the support, and happy holidays everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back