Practical Devices XM5
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #361 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my XM5 but I have a question for those that use it as a DAC, if the amp section sounds a lot better than the DAC section why not just use the headphone out of your pc and run it through the amp section instead of using the DAC feature through USB?

Just curious on this I do not use the XM5 as a dac.

I'm no expert on the DAC use, but the 2702 in my XM-5 gives me better sound then the sound card in my Dell or laptop.

I might have a different opinion if I had one of the $100+ sound cards
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #362 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The XM5 DAC with Burr Brown Japan PCM2702 (like the 3MOVE) is better than most PC headphone out jacks. It is pretty good, but just a little behind the DAC in the Pico, Micro DAC, D10 or Duet. So, it isn't worth amping most PC or laptop headphone out (or even my Macbook heapdhone out) when this DAC is better than the average PC DAC.

I wonder if the newer 2704 DAC is an improvement, or just a replacement for a no longer available 2702??

Pity that the DAC isn't socketed as well
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #363 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this may seem like an odd question but does anyone else have trouble plugging in usb cables to the XM5. it seems all the ones i have are just fractionally too big at the plug and bump into the screw holding the device together.

any one have any nice small plugged mini usb cables?

No, never experienced anything like that. You could trim the shell around the plug with a knife to make room for the screw.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #364 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, never experienced anything like that. You could trim the shell around the plug with a knife to make room for the screw.

great minds and all that

thats exactly what i ended up doing several hours ago

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #366 of 397
Thought I's bump this since this forum is turning into the Ibasso forum. More people need to take a look at this amp, after buffers are installed and better opamps put in it competes well with anything out there. Add to it all the features it has and this will be the last portable amp most people will ever need.

Had mine for almost a year now and still use it daily. Great sounding amp

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #367 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I's bump this since this forum is turning into the Ibasso forum. More people need to take a look at this amp, after buffers are installed and better opamps put in it competes well with anything out there. Add to it all the features it has and this will be the last portable amp most people will ever need.

Had mine for almost a year now and still use it daily. Great sounding amp

Yes, upgraded with AD8065 and BUF634 the XM5 is noticeably better than stock with bypassed buffers or with AD8397, putting in the top tier of portable DAC/amps like Pico, Predator, 3MOVE, iBasso D4 and D10, etc.

I love the sleep timer and battery meter functions the most, and for a while the XM5 was the only amp that really sounded excellent with my Freq Show because of the 75 ohm switch. I pretty much don't use the bass/treble boost, but occasionally old 60's jazz albums benefit from the crossfeed (more like a channel blend).

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #368 of 397
BUMP, this amplifier is my favorite. I have the rechargeable battery option and 8610 chip. It has many options $500 amps don't offer. Also, like Headphone addict said, the sleep function is very useful. This amp behaves as a warm tone amplifier on occasions and as a very clear on others (depends on the Headphone you use). It has a nice bass, but only if your phones has. It was the first one that brought my attention on eBay when I first wanted one, and I love it. I have the XM5 with the buffers installed. Mine is married to an Ortofon e-Q7 all the time, and rests on others with the Yuins (all six)...

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #369 of 397
I've been using my XM5 with HP out from i7 in bed. The bass boost is very useful for this because I mostly listen at very low volume. Lately I've been using PFE. I still love this amp.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #370 of 397
Just wanted to add that I've upgraded from the xm4 to the xm5 with the 8065 and buf chips. I've been LOVING it. I think the 75ohm option works particularly well with my hd595's. Initially I started using it because the volume was too touchy, but the other day I switched it off to check for sound quality variation. I was rather surprised to find my music sounding very lean and a little over bright (aka, sounding more like hd 595's typically sound with my old xm4 or unamped). I absolutely love the darker deeper sound with the 75ohm switch.

I was wondering if anyone else has run the same phones with this amp and what they think of the sound.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #372 of 397
I just purchased some K 702s, plugged them into my xm5... and got a very bad HISSING at low volume levels with no buttons pressed. It went away with the +10db, but I'm still wondering why? Any ideas? Basically anything less than 11:30 on the knob brings the hiss. it also goes away with the 75ohm option pressed in.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #373 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by softwight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased some K 702s, plugged them into my xm5... and got a very bad HISSING at low volume levels with no buttons pressed. It went away with the +10db, but I'm still wondering why? Any ideas? Basically anything less than 11:30 on the knob brings the hiss. it also goes away with the 75ohm option pressed in.

Is this when using the DAC?

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #375 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by softwight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all inputs, either HP out of ipod, line out of ipod, and DAC as well.

I once had a noise problem with my XM5. It happened only once for a short time one day IIRC, then never again. Here's part of an email that I sent to James Forest at Practical Devices:

A problem which just suddenly began is a bad noise while in low gain. With no source into the analog input, it sounds like static but gets quite loud at around the 1:00 spot. With analog input playing music, there is an obvious noise no matter how loud. If I engage +10 dB, treble boost or + 75 Ohm, the problem goes away. Bass and xfeed switches do not eliminate the noise. The lithium battery seems to be fine and the problem remains with other batteries.

James did offer to pay for shipping to him and inspect it under warranty but it was never a problem again so I didn't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back