Practical Devices XM5
Mar 31, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #286 of 397
[QUOTE=audiophonicshz; The build quality left a bit to be desired, especially for the price, but I guess thats the case with most portable amps. I am speaking about the internals, as I immediately opened it up to check out the opamps buffers. Also the way everything fit together was a bit simplistic.<<

Simple is GOOD !! Makes life, and changing OpAmps easier!!

>>I love how well it works with the dt 880s that I have<<

I hope to get a pair one day...let us know how they sound once you get the 8065's burned in.

Have you tried any of the other Sennheiser CX models??

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #287 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never noticed any difference in how crossfeed works with different opamps.

Rock. That's the way it oughta be.

I'm now officially obsessed with the very idea of crossfeed.

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #288 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiophonicshz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]I immediately opened it up to check out the opamps buffers. Also the way everything fit together was a bit simplistic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey/ Ga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple is GOOD !! Makes life, and changing OpAmps easier!!

When I opened my XM5, it was dead easy. When I reassembled it, it was dead easy. I'd have to agree with Harv regarding simplicity. I'm a very simple person.
icon10.gif
(I didn't open it to change anything, just to look at it. I may open mine again to look at it. I don't really understand what I'm looking at, but it looks really cool.)

They throw in the allen key for opening the thing too... mind you, the screws could almost be thumb screws.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #289 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keppel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I opened my XM5, it was dead easy. When I reassembled it, it was dead easy. I'd have to agree with Harv regarding simplicity. I'm a very simple person.
icon10.gif
(I didn't open it to change anything, just to look at it. I may open mine again to look at it. I don't really understand what I'm looking at, but it looks really cool.)

They throw in the allen key for opening the thing too... mind you, the screws could almost be thumb screws.

Glad that you like simplicity
bigsmile_face.gif
I bought mine in July, and have enjoyed it very much. Only other thing that I can compare it to is a Microshar 107B that I bought a bit over a year ago.

Once you get it burned in and more familiar, you can join us in swapping out op-amps.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #290 of 397
I finally gave in and ordered the buffer chips and 8065's. My XM-5 should be hitting the next level in less than a week.

Many thanks to the guinea pigs for all the first hand feedback on the different options : )

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #291 of 397
The AD8065's and BUF134's arrived Friday, 8 days after placing my order. The XM-5 came apart very easily, the swap was a piece of cake with the assistance of some needle nose plyers and everything fit back together perfectly. I wouldn't say its like a whole new product but the better opamps and buffer chips give it more of everything that was lacking. With my K702's in the bone-stock configuration I was happiest most of the time with the +10dB, Bass, and Treble gains engaged, but the sound was colored and a little lacking in realistic and precise details. Now that I have the chip slots packed with upgrades I don't have any boosts engaged and the volume knob is in just about the same position and the SPL is about equal. The sound is both cleaner and more precise, with total dynamic range extending further at the low and high ends of the frequency spectrum. Cymbals, percussion, and acoustic instruments sound more life-like, and the lower bass frequencies lack the slight distortion they had with the boosts on.

When I get a chance I will pump line level audio into the XM-5 from my VALAB DAC to see how much of a difference that makes over using the XM-5's internal PCM2702 for D/A conversion. Time to dig up my ever-handy 1/8" to Stereo RCA adapter cable.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #292 of 397
Oh no! Needle nose...did you lose the hex key(aka: allen wrench)...or was that just for the chips?

So was the cost worth it? I'm glad I bought the 8065's. I'm currently enjoying my XM5 with HD 650 which I actually have been preferring over my Pico for these. I use the treble boost with HD 650. The overall SQ and great features with the XM5 will allow it to remain a valuable amp for my needs.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #293 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no! Needle nose...did you lose the hex key(aka: allen wrench)...or was that just for the chips?

So was the cost worth it? I'm glad I bought the 8065's. I'm currently enjoying my XM5 with HD 650 which I actually have been preferring over my Pico for these. I use the treble boost with HD 650. The overall SQ and great features with the XM5 will allow it to remain a valuable amp for my needs.

It was really the buffer chips that were the harder pill to swallow at $46. I just knew before I placed the order that it wouldn't be long before I was looking for a better solution for my portable/office setup. It just didn't sound like the right match for my main headphones. I thought I'd try out the chip upgrades before buying a Pico or Predator or whatever is the next latest and greatest portable.

I'm very happy with it. I would say it was about a 50% increase in performance which is pretty huge. The only downside is a went through a battery charge in about 15 hours since putting the chips in. I'm currently using it plugged into AC power and it still sounds really good so that may be the way to go for daily use.

p.s. the needlenose pliers were just used to pull the original chips out of their sockets lol.

May 17, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #296 of 397
I had a chance to listen to the XM5 + HD600 combo before i shipped off my XM5 (didn't use it enough, and have another source).
I was happy to see (ok hear) how well the XM5 drove the HD600. I could not resist running a few opamp changes and not really surprising, the LME49710 came up as the most enjoyable again. Not that i find the OPA627 or AD8610 a bad choice or the OPA134/NE5534 horrible. It's just when i use the LME49710 i always find myself telling people i "enjoy the music".
When i use any of the other opamps, i end up talking about the opamps.

Should try a pair of LME49710, it'll be the best $9+shipping you will ever spend.

All opamps were used with the BUF634 in place.

May 17, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #300 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The XM5 will be better all around.

Yes, lots of features to play with and the USB DAC too if that helps. With the extra features it's very versatile. Comparing the two isn't fair unless using just IEMs although I have used HD 650 with the T4 and they sounded much better than just my 6G HP out. With the TI BUF634 & AD8065 in my XM5 it drives my HD 650 nicely in high gain even with skull crushing bass heavy electronic music. Only when pushing it way too loud do I realize that it lacks true power to drive them...ultimate soundstage and fine details aside compared to my Woo 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back