Practical Devices XM5
Feb 25, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #226 of 397
Thanks for making me want them even more now...
evil_smiley.gif
...I only have an entire week for mine to arrive
popcorn.gif

I am able to make my XM5 distort if I really crank it with HD 650. I have already found out that my Pico is smoother than XM5 overall. With HD 650 I don't mind this brighter sound and I often use the treble boost which is subtle compared to what I do with my Aphex 204 processor.

I was using my XM5 paired with my 120 Classic for HD 650 but when I got my Phonaks I compared XM5 to Pico...no contest for mids, Pico does voice beautiful and treble is smooooth baby!

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #227 of 397
I think the XM5 will compete well with your Pico after going with the AD8065's, voices are really nice now and treble is good without being harsh.
I can't make the XM5 distort anymore at all.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #228 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have to go back over my notes with my AKG K240M 600 ohm and see what I wrote.

Can't find anything about using the K240M with the XM5, so I'll still have to try that sometime.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #229 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the XM5 will compete well with your Pico after going with the AD8065's, voices are really nice now and treble is good without being harsh.
I can't make the XM5 distort anymore at all.

swanlee do you have the BUF634's? I definitely want to try out the 8065's.. just wondering if the buffer chips are mandatory for optimal sound. I am finding with the stock configuration I keep the gain boost on to get the most range out of my K702's. Despite being fairly low resistance the bass really rolls off with low current. If it makes the most sense I'll drop in all four chips at once.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #230 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinshardhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
swanlee do you have the BUF634's? I definitely want to try out the 8065's.. just wondering if the buffer chips are mandatory for optimal sound. I am finding with the stock configuration I keep the gain boost on to get the most range out of my K702's. Despite being fairly low resistance the bass really rolls off with low current. If it makes the most sense I'll drop in all four chips at once.

Yea I'm using the BUF634's at the same time as the 8065's.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #231 of 397
morfic: might be a little while before I get the 600ohm 880's, I'd like to get my hands on an hd650, seems like they are being driven well by the xm5s!

An update, its been a week or so and I still haven't gotten my xm5, gosh the wait is tough. Im interested about the AD8065's. Are they better than the OPA627's? Does this combination (8065+BUF634) make it better/on par with the pico and D10, in the opinion of the experts here? Larry hopefully you get to find out soon. BTW, very insightful review over on the portable amp thread Larry!

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #232 of 397
I'll let you know how XM5 with BUF634 compares with Pico after I get my 8065's...don't have a D10.

James has shipped the goods...I bet Larry gets his first. Colorado is closer than Virginia.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #233 of 397
Thanks, I will report on the 8065 when I get them - I liked the stock sound too much to roll opamps, but after hearing good things about the 8065 and hearing the 8066 in the iBasso D10 I decided to go for it.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #234 of 397
I am very happy with my XM5 that arrived a few days ago! Many Beatles recordings sound much better with the crossfeed turned on and I like that the level of crossfeed can be tweaked. The USB DAC works well with my PC and seems as good as my ipod's line out when I A/B between them using the input button. I got the amp in preparation for a headphone upgrade that will arrive soon.

The posts in this thread and HeadphoneAddict's USB DAC amp review thread were very helpful in the decision making process. Geez, now I hope I can resist the temptation to start rolling op amps ... but if everyone else is doing it ... help! It may be wise to stop reading this stuff now
frown.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #235 of 397
^ You should never have come here without some wallet damage preparation
tongue.gif

Oh, and Welcome. You made a good choice with the XM5 from reading what everyone else is saying. Now I'm getting the itch to try one...

Anyone compared extensively with a mini3 or Corda XXS?

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #236 of 397
I have had my xm5 for several days now. When I first listened to it most of the selections sounded great, but some piano and some female singers showed a good bit of distortion. I must say I thought that "burning in" of solid state equipment was a bunch of hooey. After about 20 hours the same musical selections show much less distortion and the way it is going it might clear up entirely. So at least for me it provides evidence that more time on solid state equipment does make a difference.
I have the ad8397 amp in my xm5 and am now wondering about the 8065 chips with the buffers. Oh well, more ways to spend money!

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #237 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my xm5 for several days now. When I first listened to it most of the selections sounded great, but some piano and some female singers showed a good bit of distortion. I must say I thought that "burning in" of solid state equipment was a bunch of hooey. After about 20 hours the same musical selections show much less distortion and the way it is going it might clear up entirely. So at least for me it provides evidence that more time on solid state equipment does make a difference.
I have the ad8397 amp in my xm5 and am now wondering about the 8065 chips with the buffers. Oh well, more ways to spend money!

Yea I also got some distortion with my XM5 using the stock opamps with buffers. So the buffers alone will not eliminate the distortion. The 8065 chips did completely cure the distortion issues for me.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #238 of 397
redface.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I also got some distortion with my XM5 using the stock opamps with buffers. So the buffers alone will not eliminate the distortion. The 8065 chips did completely cure the distortion issues for me.

Did you pull the buffers or leave them in when you switched to the 8065?

-HK sends

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your post above about leaving them in...
redface.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #239 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

audiophonicshz: If you ever find anything out about the DT880/600 on XM5, let me know.
DT880, K702 and HD600 are all on my want list, if i could do 600 instead of 250 on the DT880 before i have a desktop amp, it would be most interesting.
Even though i think i will build me a PPAV2 considering i got enough OPAs to keep those sockets filled......

Why not drop a note to James and ask if his XM-5 will drive them...esp. with the BUF634s or AD8397???

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #240 of 397
any one else received their 8065's yet? I have a feeling we will all have them soon enough
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back