Practical Devices XM5
Feb 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #211 of 397
If anyone is curious about OPA627 sound but hates the idea of forking over $18 a piece for them, grab yourselves a couple LME49710 ($2.65 a piece) and enjoy.
The only difference i can discern is *maybe* a hint of more detail on some vocals with the LME49710.
Good enough to sit on my hands and not click on the AD8065 for a while...

audiophonicshz: If you ever find anything out about the DT880/600 on XM5, let me know.
DT880, K702 and HD600 are all on my want list, if i could do 600 instead of 250 on the DT880 before i have a desktop amp, it would be most interesting.
Even though i think i will build me a PPAV2 considering i got enough OPAs to keep those sockets filled......

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #214 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please post your impressions compared to the stock chips.

I just got the AD8065's and had a quick listen after I installed them. I only listened to two song so far but I can hear a definite upgrade.

Bass is stronger, sound stage is wider, it sounds smoother without any sacrifice in details, left and right separation is more precise.

With the stock amp I did notice some slight distortion at times with these new opamps I did not notice any distortion.

I will post additional impressions tonight or tomorrow when I get more time to listen.

But really quick, the improvement was well worth the 28$ from the practical devices website.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #215 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the AD8065's and had a quick listen after I installed them. I only listened to two song so far but I can hear a definite upgrade.

Bass is stronger, sound stage is wider, it sounds smoother without any sacrifice in details, left and right separation is more precise.

With the stock amp I did notice some slight distortion at times with these new opamps I did not notice any distortion.

I will post additional impressions tonight or tomorrow when I get more time to listen.

But really quick, the improvement was well worth the 28$ from the practical devices website.

...SOLD!
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks...you just cost me $28
very_evil_smiley.gif
Thanks a lot! Really.

I'll post my thoughts when my 8065's arrive.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #216 of 397
Quote:

Is this with or without the BUF634 in the amp?

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #218 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this with or without the BUF634 in the amp?

It is with the BUF634's

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #220 of 397
Quote:

Ha Ha so funny as I accidentally made a few extra mouse clicks just about 15 mins ago and somehow managed to order a pair of WhiteCat AD8065's for the XM5.

I'm pretty happy with the synergy right now but I cannot resist the urge of playing with different combinations. Love the fact this portable amp has so many built in features plus you can swap out buffers and op amps at will.

Great great product.

IIRC, the BUF634's have a different pinout then other buffers. Single opamps usually have the same pinout, so you're OK here. Many of the different opamps have a low current output , so keeping the BUF634's would be beneficial if you have a phone that needs power.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #222 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Setting here with my newly arrived xm5 with the ad8397, hooked up to my toshiba into dt-150's. Bela Fleck sounds great!!!

Nice! I'm currently enjoying a Andy Narell CD "The Passage" (steel pan) with XM5/DAC & HD 650.

HD6xx.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #223 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! I'm currently enjoying a Andy Narell CD "The Passage" (steel pan) with XM5/DAC & HD 650.

HD6xx.gif

"Tales from the Acoustic Planet" here. Ripped at 128 but compared to listening with just the Toshiba it still sounds great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #224 of 397
After listening for a few hours with the AD8065's my first impressions were pretty dead on. These opamps are freakin SMOOTH!!! that is the best way to describe them.

The stock opamps in comparison were pretty harsh and actually distorted at times. I just tried to ignore the distortion as it wasn't to bad but the stock opamps definitely distorted and clipped during really complex musical sections.

These do not distort or clip at any point and basically take the most stuff complex you can throw at it and presents ever details in it's right place with little strain.

To me pretty much sounds like a completely different amp now, which I guess it kind of is seeing as the guts have been upgraded.

Listening fatigue is now at ZERO, no more harsh highs or distortion, the sound is so smooth yet detailed it's really hard to turn it off. Bass is more detailed, punchier and of course smoother.

Practical Devices should probably just tack on 30$ to the price and sell them with these in them default I can't imagine choosing the stock opamps over the AD8065's in any scenario.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #225 of 397
Quote:

After listening for a few hours with the AD8065's my first impressions were pretty dead on. These opamps are freakin SMOOTH!!! that is the best way to describe them.

The stock opamps in comparison were pretty harsh and actually distorted at times. I just tried to ignore the distortion as it wasn't to bad but the stock opamps definitely distorted and clipped during really complex musical sections.

These do not distort or clip at any point and basically take the most stuff complex you can throw at it and presents ever details in it's right place with little strain.

To me pretty much sounds like a completely different amp now, which I guess it kind of is seeing as the guts have been upgraded.

Listening fatigue is now at ZERO, no more harsh highs or distortion, the sound is so smooth yet detailed it's really hard to turn it off. Bass is more detailed, punchier and of course smoother.

Practical Devices should probably just tack on 30$ to the price and sell them with these in them default I can't imagine choosing the stock opamps over the AD8065's in any scenario.

I ordered mine an hour and a half ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back