Practical Devices XM5
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #196 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Passive indeed drops the volume, which makes A/B comparisons pretty much impossible, since you always fiddle with volume knob up and down, but i admit, if i engaged it on the XM4 and left the adjusted volume alone it sounded about as well as the XM5.
Active xfeed is supposed to add some delay to the signal instead of just mixing a fraction into either of the opposing channels. I can't say i notice it, but also, i did not have the XM4 and XM5 side by side to say for sure.

swanlee: you now have two choices, leave the opamp alone and go on listening to music, or picking up a couple different opamps and finding out if you could get a better synergy between amp and phones ;P

I for one am not done yet, got two more DIP-8 sets coming before i finally add the AD8065s from Practical Devices to the mix.

I'll have so many to choose from in the end, i could have a library of phones and find the perfect match in opamps ;P If i only had the budget for so many phones
wink.gif
(LCD + Desktop comp are on chopping block already)

Either way, enjoy, it has made listening to music even more fun, and i agree analog volume control rocks.

Ha Ha so funny as I accidentally made a few extra mouse clicks just about 15 mins ago and somehow managed to order a pair of WhiteCat AD8065's for the XM5.

I'm pretty happy with the synergy right now but I cannot resist the urge of playing with different combinations. Love the fact this portable amp has so many built in features plus you can swap out buffers and op amps at will.

Great great product.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #197 of 397
Quote:

Passive indeed drops the volume, which makes A/B comparisons pretty much impossible, since you always fiddle with volume knob up and down, but i admit, if i engaged it on the XM4 and left the adjusted volume alone it sounded about as well as the XM5.
Active xfeed is supposed to add some delay to the signal instead of just mixing a fraction into either of the opposing channels. I can't say i notice it, but also, i did not have the XM4 and XM5 side by side to say for sure.

I for one am not done yet, got two more DIP-8 sets coming before i finally add the AD8065s from Practical Devices to the mix.

I'll have so many to choose from in the end...

OK, so the XM5 crossfeed being active is designed to keep the volume constant. Re the delay, I believe this to be a basic part of all designs in addition to the actual cross-feeding:

HeadRoom amplifiers cure the problem by allowing you to cross-feed a little of the left and right channels across to each other through a short time delay using the crossfeed switch.- HeadRoom

The CORDA headphone amplifiers can electronically simulate this process and, with appropriate attenuation and delay, add some of the right audio signal to the left channel and vice -versa. -Meier Audio

...and I think the 8065 is calling me. I just need to actually order them.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #198 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so the XM5 crossfeed being active is designed to keep the volume constant. Re the delay, I believe this to be a basic part of all designs in addition to the actual cross-feeding:

HeadRoom amplifiers cure the problem by allowing you to cross-feed a little of the left and right channels across to each other through a short time delay using the crossfeed switch.- HeadRoom

The CORDA headphone amplifiers can electronically simulate this process and, with appropriate attenuation and delay, add some of the right audio signal to the left channel and vice -versa. -Meier Audio

...and I think the 8065 is calling me. I just need to actually order them.

I was googling for linkwitz crossfeed since one article referenced it and explained active vs passive.
But i finally read tangent's link and maybe it now makes sense that greatdane hears a bass boost in the xfeed:

Modified Linkwitz Crossfeed PCB

HeadWize - Project: An Acoustic Simulator for Headphone Amplifiers by Chu Moy

HeadWize - Project: An Enhanced-Bass Natural Crossfeed Filter by Jan Meier

seems quite common? wonder why i still don't notice it.

Interestingly, not sure where the link is that explained active vs passive, i tink it's a matter of components used, but memory is not strong enough to repeat what i said, in case i am not remembering correctly. Either way, i know it works on the XM5
wink.gif

(You will notice a lot graphs showing delays on these curcuits too)

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #199 of 397
sorry to go off topic from opamp rolling but this is my first battery powered headphone amp and/or DAC and I'm still running on my first battery charge but it seems the DAC performance has diminished with the battery power. It's not warning me the power is low but it seemed the DAC quality was noticeably lower once power dropped below 8V. Not bad at all but I hear a little bit of distortion during more complex and full sounding passages, especially if there is a lot of low frequency sound. Is that just typical with these battery powered devices, a weakness of the XM-5, or maybe a problem unique to mine?

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #200 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinshardhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to go off topic from opamp rolling but this is my first battery powered headphone amp and/or DAC and I'm still running on my first battery charge but it seems the DAC performance has diminished with the battery power. It's not warning me the power is low but it seemed the DAC quality was noticeably lower once power dropped below 8V. Not bad at all but I hear a little bit of distortion during more complex and full sounding passages, especially if there is a lot of low frequency sound. Is that just typical with these battery powered devices, a weakness of the XM-5, or maybe a problem unique to mine?

I haven't noticed that - I will have to try testing it out soon and see what happens as voltage drops. Do you only notice when listen through the DAC, or also listening to the amp with an analog input like from an iPod?

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #201 of 397
I've only been using it on my old Dell computer at work through the USB input, but I can use an LOD on my ipod tonight and on my home Mac Powerbook and see if I can replicate or isolate the source. Great idea, thanks =)

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #202 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinshardhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only been using it on my old Dell computer at work through the USB input, but I can use an LOD on my ipod tonight and on my home Mac Powerbook and see if I can replicate or isolate the source. Great idea, thanks =)

I wonder if you are getting issues with noisy power via your USB as a possibility.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #203 of 397
Quote:

Congrats swanlee!

You know what really grinds my gears re the XM5?

Channel imbalance at lift off volume in low gain...really not that bad and only at sleepy time dB.

Anyone else experience this?

I can counter this bad vibe with my love for the knurled, over-sized volume knob...makes for quick & easy use...beats my Pico in this feature category!

Did you check the note about this in the troubleshooting section of the XM5 manual? any of that helping?

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #204 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if you are getting issues with noisy power via your USB as a possibility.

Listen to the DAC with 13Ohm phones to get an idea, luckily it's pitch black with 32Ohm phones, but with 13Ohm phones (yeah outside their spec'ed range) it's a party!

Feb 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #205 of 397
Quote:

Interestingly, not sure where the link is that explained active vs passive,

Here is a thread on headfi that explains the active vs. passive crossfeed on XM5, which set me straight on the subject. Only XM5 has an actual active crossfeed. If you read the thread, James (aka MaxAmplitude the Practical Devices guy) posted, explaining the difference.

I think that active crossfeeds are overlooked (read: cheaped-out on!) with most portables.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #207 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha Ha so funny as I accidentally made a few extra mouse clicks just about 15 mins ago and somehow managed to order a pair of WhiteCat AD8065's for the XM5.

Please post your impressions compared to the stock chips.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #208 of 397
Quote:

Please post your impressions compared to the stock chips.

Will do when it arrives, probably at least a week to get here

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #209 of 397
Thanks for the suggestions on troubleshooting my 'dirty' sound issue. I tried a number of different configurations and came to the conclusion the distortion I was hearing had nothing to do with the voltage level of the XM-5 batteries. I believe with the master volume on my Dell computer set at one notch down from the top (around 80%) it was introducing distortion. The sound is much cleaner at one notch lower (around 65%) with the volume turned up higher on the XM-5. I also heard distortion from my iPod LOD, but it sounded different and I am pretty sure its the not so great DAC in the iPod revealing itself in all of its splendor on my K702's.

The DAC in the XM-5 still sounds like it gets a bit overwhelmed with certain complex or bass heavy passages but it's much better after making adjustments at the source. I'd say 90% of the problem was resolved. My music seems to sound a bit better playing from Foobar over iTunes too. I think I'll hear a marked improvement in these little SQ nuances as it burns in. I only have around 40 hours on it now.

For a few days I thought I might want to send it back and pick up a Pico or Predator but I'm thinking that was just user error blaming the XM-5. It's amazing considering the quality you get at this price.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #210 of 397
The xm5 looks like quite the little champ. I've got one on the way, but I was wondering if it can drive 600ohm beyers. I've got a pair of 250 880s that I love and Im already thinking about upgrading to the 600 ohm version through beyer de. So does anyone have any experience driving 600 ohm phones through the xm5? I got the version with the BUF634, I hoping that will cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back