Practical Devices XM5
Jan 26, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #151 of 397
So what would be the best option of opamps\buffers for my needs?

I want a warm, bassy sound but I still want the benefit of the dual mono design?

I'm confused as to which combination for the XM5 would do that. I should be ordering mine in the next two weeks.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #152 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what would be the best option of opamps\buffers for my needs?

I want a warm, bassy sound but I still want the benefit of the dual mono design?

I'm confused as to which combination for the XM5 would do that. I should be ordering mine in the next two weeks.

The stock OP134's with the BUF634 buffers are a good choice. I still plan to try some OPA627 later, which should meet your criteria based on other experience with them.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #153 of 397
Has anyone tried any other opamps in the XM5?
I very much enjoyed the AD8620 in the XM4 and am considering getting me 2 AD8610 and 2 adapters, but before i try my soldering skills i would much rather try a few DIP8 opamps, i gave my brain some time today with the OPA134+BUF634 combo before installing the AD8397, even if it would get me sound closer to the AD8620, i would like to take advantage of the customizability and try a few more opamps before crowning my subjective winner.
Right now i have the before mentioned LM6171 (tangent's notes worry me) in a basket and some OPA227 before adding the much pricier OPA627 i may try a few more lower priced opamps, pushing the OPA627 off to a later purchase....any suggestions? (i want to stay clear of OPA228 or OPA637, they seem trouble for simple drop-ins?)
Looks like AD843KNZ might be a desktop amp only option, like always plugged in i'd consider it. (see tangent's notes on opamps why i'm not trying it in a portable amp)

All that said:

Practical Devices is a great company to deal with, emails are answered quickly and friendly and amps ship quick too.
I enjoy the DAC in the XM5 quite a bit since my laptop's sound stinks.
One thing Practical Devices could improve on is to make the DAC an option or sell an XM5 with just the great amp and a XM5+ including the DAC, since i keep seeing people who would buy it if it didn't have the DAC.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #154 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Practical Devices is a great company to deal with, emails are answered quickly and friendly and amps ship quick too.
I enjoy the DAC in the XM5 quite a bit since my laptop's sound stinks.
One thing Practical Devices could improve on is to make the DAC an option or sell an XM5 with just the great amp and a XM5+ including the DAC, since i keep seeing people who would buy it if it didn't have the DAC.

I've had the same great CS from PD. It has been mentioned before and I also agree that PD should make 2 versions. I might have bought an amp only version but now I find myself using the XM5 DAC when I have my Pico mated to my iPod.

I don't know what the price difference would be between the XM5 & "XM5+" but they might sell a few more amps if that lower cost would put it next to other amps in consideration.

I have no experience with other opamps.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #155 of 397
How noticeable would you say the treble boost is?

I know it's only a 2.5 dB boost, but I just can't hear any difference.

The 6 dB bass boost I can hear. Is my xm5 borked?

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #156 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think your XM5 is functioning normally. From my listening, the treble boost is subtle in most cases.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #159 of 397
Quote:

I wondered the same, on my phonaks i can barely tell when i use the OPA134 + BUF634, right now i try the AD8397 and i can very clearly hear the difference. Not huge, but there.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #162 of 397
Thanks for the replies, I might upgrade to the AD8397 one of these days.

And I agree, the bass boost is a little much depending on the music.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #163 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something I don't like about the other amps is that they don't have an easily user-replaceable battery, the XM5 does (9V). Even rechargeable batteries wear out after a while. There's a lot of other features that are nice too. I'd say my only gripe about the specs (this is before actually testing it though) is the DAC, it's a Cirrus-Logic chip and 24/96 would have been better. But they did pack quite a bit into such a small package. It would have been good even without the DAC thrown in.

Actually, it looks like the XM5 uses the Texas Instruments PCM2702E, same as the Corda 3Move.

Practical Devices Corporation

I was trying to make a decision between those two brands, and the cost and convenience of ordering (in the states) is making me lean toward the XM5.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #164 of 397
Quote:

I'm really enjoying my xm5, but man the pico looks good!

Well, you _could_ be like one of each
biggrin.gif
some of the fellows here and get one of each
atsmile.gif

When I got back into audio 3-4 years ago, I accumulated 6 turntables (kept 4), 4 receivers (kept 3) 4 cassette decks (2 were "parts units") 2 CD players and 6 pair of speakers (kept 4pr)

I got the AKG 240s, and a Microshar 107B last year, and, afet MUCH thought, and a bit of boot thrown in by PD 8 months ago, bought the XM-5. I think that I'll take a breather, as I'm lusting after a better set of headphones, but _really_ would like to hear more phones and amps before getting more toys
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #165 of 397
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock OP134's with the BUF634 buffers are a good choice. I still plan to try some OPA627 later, which should meet your criteria based on other experience with them.

I wonder how the LM6171's would do in place of the OPA134's ?? They seem to give me a nicer sound then the 134's, but the volume is less with my AKG 240's. Don't have the BUF 634's to try.

Not being a swifty with the data sheets, I can't see the difference.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back